News: Justin Bieber, St. Louis, Chris Pratt, Arkansas, Edmund White

RoadThere is a new Janet Jackson album in the works.

RoadGay former United Methodist minister takes helm of HRC in Mississippi.

BloomRoadJustin Bieber taunts Orlando Bloom on Instagram.

RoadNew petition calls for 'National Orlando Bloom Day'.

RoadPolice investigate stabbing of trans teen on DC Metro train: "Authorities told BuzzFeed they believe a 24-year-old man assaulted the transgender teenager around 4:30 p.m., stabbing her in the back with a 3.5-inch folding knife. The victim was transported to a hospital for what police described as a 'non life-threatening puncture wound' to her upper left back."

RoadFiveThirtyEight: Democrats more obsessed with impeachment than Republicans: "Consider, for example, the Sunlight Foundation’s Capitol Words database, which tracks words spoken in the House and Senate. So far in July, there have been 10 mentions of the term “impeachment” in Congress and four others of the term “impeach.” Eleven of the 14 mentions have been made by Democratic rather than Republican members of Congress, however."

RoadTurkish women react appropriately to Deputy Prime Minister after he says that they should not laugh in public.

RoadMan threatens to "exterminate" editor of gay publication in St. Louis: "Darryl L. Jackson, 40, was caught last Friday as he wrote a similar email on a computer at the Forest Park campus of St. Louis Community College. He is charged with harassment motivated by discrimination to frighten or disturb another person, which is a felony."

RoadChris Pratt refers to his biceps as 'arm titties'.

RoadActivists stage Capitol Hill sit-in demanding LGBT inclusion in immigration reform.

PineRoadFirst look at a handful of images from Into the Woods.

RoadArkansas asks judge to retain gay marriage ban: "Attorney General Dustin McDaniel's office asked U.S. District Judge Kristine Baker to reject the motion for summary judgment filed by two same-sex couples challenging the ban. The couples earlier this month asked Baker to rule immediately and find a 2004 constitutional amendment and any related laws barring gay marriage unconstitutional. The couples sued the state over the ban last year."

RoadGay Kansas dad charged with murder after leaving baby in hot car: "Prosecutors have charged a Wichita man whose 10-month-old foster daughter died after she was left in a hot car outside her home with one count of first-degree felony murder."

RoadEdmund White reviews the recent crop of books by and about the Proposition 8 legal team: "On the last page of Redeeming the Dream, we are told that Americans are accepting 'gays and lesbians…as normal, loving, decent members of our lives and our communities.' I shouldn’t quibble, but as a gay man in his seventies I don’t quite recognize in that description most of the flamboyant, creative, edgy, promiscuous, deeply urban gays I have known."

RoadFootballer Lionel Messi is strutting his fit bod in Ponza.

RoadPrince Harry and his desert boots.

CostaRoadHere's what the Costa Concordia rescue looked like from space.

RoadLulu's bar in Greenpoint, Brooklyn is closing. "In April of this year Lulu’s owner John McGillion took out a lawsuit against his landlord for not allowing him to turn the establishment into a gay bar."

RoadAl Jazeera covers a case challenging gay conversion therapy in China: "The plaintiff, who is gay and has given his name only as Xiao Zhen, says the Xinyu Piaoxiang clinic in Chongqing traumatised him when he was electro-shocked after being told to have sexual thoughts involving men."

RoadLarry King confused by Anna Paquin's "non-practicing" bisexuality.

RoadRussell Brand blasts Sean Hannity on Israel-Palestine conflict, says he looks like a Ken Doll. Hannity responds that Brand is "kind of dumb and ignorant."

Road90-year-old recalls the time her son came out: "When you called and came out, it was quite a shock. I had no inkling--none whatsoever. You tell me you're gay, and I said, 'Listen. Give me a half hour to come to myself, and I'll call you back.' ... I think straight parents should be involved with their gay children. I told everybody and anybody who would listen to me, that I had a gay son and that I was very proud of my gay son."

Comments

1. I had started to like Justin Bieber for his "bad boy" image. Well, if the above story is true then I don't like him anymore.

Biebers is an evil little b1tch...if the story of his taunting Orlando Bloom is true.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jul 31, 2014 4:07:48 PM

2. the current turkish regime is an embarrassment

conservative and trying to get religion back into politics

Ataturk is rolling in his grave. He forcibly removed islam from politics and made Turkey a secular state where women could get an education, not wear head scarves, laugh publicly, etc

Posted by: saywhat | Jul 31, 2014 4:08:21 PM

3. Desert boots? what desert boots, that were a pair of shoes

Posted by: jjose712 | Jul 31, 2014 4:16:27 PM

4. "dad charged with murder after leaving baby in hot car"

Good. There is no greater responsibility than to the next generation.

Anyone who cooks their children to death should spend the rest of their life behind bars.

(Women too.)

Posted by: Randy | Jul 31, 2014 4:36:45 PM

5. I feel a little bit sorry for Edmund White and people who have the same complaint he does. It must feel just dreadful to realize that one's circle of friends don't represent all of humanity, and that the rest of humanity may be interested in speaking for itself instead of having a spokesman who doesn't care to acknowledge that they exist.

Posted by: JK | Jul 31, 2014 5:07:36 PM

6. If Democrats are 'obsessed' with the possible impeachment of President Obama, maybe it's because they know the Republicans are twisted and hateful enough to try and do it.

Posted by: Red | Jul 31, 2014 5:30:37 PM

7. Republicans in Congress respond to their crazy base. There has been a constant drumbeat in right-wing media to stop President Obama with whatever means possible, including impeachment. Palin, Drudge, Fox News, Limbauagh, etc.

This is not going to go away. Democrats would be foolish to think it can't happen, regardless of what Nate Silver, who calculated Romney had a 60% likelihood of defeating President Obama a year before the election, says. Data can be used the wrong way or even purposefully to obstruct the truth.

Posted by: Josh | Jul 31, 2014 5:56:29 PM

8. I signed the petition for you know who! Lol
    I even forgave Orando for his participation in Peter Jackson/ Tolkien racist crap.
    "Keep beating up that little brat lol and forget that skank which doesn't deserve to be ur child's mother."

Posted by: iban4yesu | Jul 31, 2014 5:59:35 PM

9. Re: Democracts being more obsessed with impeachment than Republicans:

The Scorpion and the Frog

One day, a scorpion looked around at the mountain where he lived and decided that he wanted a change. So he set out on a journey through the forests and hills. He climbed over rocks and under vines and kept going until he reached a river.
    The river was wide and swift, and the scorpion stopped to reconsider the situation. He couldn't see any way across. So he ran upriver and then checked downriver, all the while thinking that he might have to turn back.

Suddenly, he saw a frog sitting in the rushes by the bank of the stream on the other side of the river. He decided to ask the frog for help getting across the stream.

"Hellooo Mr. Frog!" called the scorpion across the water, "Would you be so kind as to give me a ride on your back across the river?"

"Well now, Mr. Scorpion! How do I know that if I try to help you, you wont try to kill me?" asked the frog hesitantly.

"Because," the scorpion replied, "If I try to kill you, then I would die too, for you see I cannot swim!"

Now this seemed to make sense to the frog. But he asked. "What about when I get close to the bank? You could still try to kill me and get back to the shore!"

"This is true," agreed the scorpion, "But then I wouldn't be able to get to the other side of the river!"

"Alright then...how do I know you wont just wait till we get to the other side and THEN kill me?" said the frog.

"Ahh...," crooned the scorpion, "Because you see, once you've taken me to the other side of this river, I will be so grateful for your help, that it would hardly be fair to reward you with death, now would it?!"

So the frog agreed to take the scorpion across the river. He swam over to the bank and settled himself near the mud to pick up his passenger. The scorpion crawled onto the frog's back, his sharp claws prickling into the frog's soft hide, and the frog slid into the river. The muddy water swirled around them, but the frog stayed near the surface so the scorpion would not drown. He kicked strongly through the first half of the stream, his flippers paddling wildly against the current.

Halfway across the river, the frog suddenly felt a sharp sting in his back and, out of the corner of his eye, saw the scorpion remove his stinger from the frog's back. A deadening numbness began to creep into his limbs.

"You fool!" croaked the frog, "Now we shall both die! Why on earth did you do that?"

The scorpion shrugged, and did a little jig on the drownings frog's back.

"I could not help myself. It is my nature."

Then they both sank into the muddy waters of the swiftly flowing river.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jul 31, 2014 6:00:05 PM

10. You know, that picture of Orlando supposedly crying.... I don't see any tears or red eyes; it looks more like Orlando miming to beiber-brat "boo hoo, little baby Beiber is mad...boo hoo hoo. Perhaps he need a nap now. Miranda and I will put you to sleep".

Posted by: woodroad34 | Jul 31, 2014 6:03:19 PM

11. IF Harry were wearing desert boot--which may or may not be pictured above--so WHAT? DBs are comfortable. DMs are comfortable--as are Birkenstocks, trainers and many more kinds of footwear. Unless you're a foot fetishist ("not that there's anything wrong with that")who cares about what Harry has on his feet?

Posted by: gregorybrown | Jul 31, 2014 6:29:48 PM

12. That reviewer may not ' recognize in that description most of the flamboyant, creative, edgy, promiscuous, deeply urban gays I have known.' But for those of us who don't or never have lived in NY or San Francisco we do recognize this as us and our neighbors and relatives.

Posted by: GJ | Jul 31, 2014 10:22:48 PM

13. @JK and CJ---Your comments seem to me to be examples of how disease moved the ball, something no one is willing to talk about.

Like it or not the well scrubbed look of Gay Equity puts people with AIDS and their supporters into an "image" closet.

It also creates pressure for a cure.

Flamboyance? No one really cares about...in certain cases its even considered cute, and marketable...the young Boy George for example.

Promiscuous? It's really your own biz, until your meds, personal expenses and habits are perceived as a potential burden to other people...even people who before were neutral or ignoring you.

At a certain point in a long personal "battle" with a very public disease people in your own "community" get battle fatigue and that has ramifications for the promiscuous image.

As much as people may refrain from judgment or have sympathy for the difficulty of such a situation, there's no cute, marketable cultural icon for that scene.

Perhaps someone like Dan Savage would have some creative ideas of how to deal with these sorts issues. Hard to believe he hasn't thought about it.

One day these sorts of image issues will all be a part of history. Meanwhile, honesty is the best policy...or not.

Posted by: mark | Aug 1, 2014 11:02:04 AM