World’s Tallest Residential Tower Planned in NYC

Nordstrom

The Nordstrom Tower at 225 w. 57th street will rise to 1,775 feet, jut one foot short of the new 1 WTC, according to plans revealed by New York Yimby:

In terms of contemporary comparisons, the design looks to draw from Smith + Gill’s Trump International Tower in Chicago, which is also replete with setbacks and ends in a distinctive but far shorter spire; indeed, it almost looks like a merger between Trump and Willis, though the notched indentations at Nordstrom will be far less intrusive than the setbacks on the former Sears Tower.

Extell’s latest development will have a collection of superlative titles, but its (hopefully) imminent rise underscores the velocity of New York’s general ‘supertall’ boom, which is now the most impressive on the planet. In Midtown alone, other supertalls on the near-horizon include 111 West 57th Street, 432 Park Avenue, 53 West 53rd Street, 3 Hudson Boulevard, 30 Hudson Yards, and 35 Hudson Yards, all of which are already under construction or on their way.

Comments

1. johnny says

Rather see a majestic redwood or sequoia.

I get that these skyscrapers are supposed to be impressive, but for me it’s yet another architect playing “mine is bigger than yours”.

2. Seanumich says

@NWYRKR,

Here’ something that may shock you. NOT EVERYBODY IS LIKE YOU. Get over yourself, you arent that important. Many would say they cant imagine living on the ground floor, others woudl say they hate living in the city and want the country, others might say the subburbs suck. SO WHAT. The entire wolrd doesnt need to like what you like

3. Seanumich says

@NWYRKR,

4. Matt27 says

I am sure it will look beautiful, but I admit, I’d be worried about the security (based on the sad events in NYC in the past). I would love the view, but I know myself, I would worry. Anyway, I couldn’t afford to buy anything on higher floors.

5. radtastic says

Another dagger in the heart of the American Dream, another castle with a moat for the billionaires on 57th street.

The gilded age on steroids is turning Manhattan into a billionaires playground. If you don’t have already have a ticket you will never be invited within ten miles of it.

6. anon says

I guess that’s a truck bomb proof bunker at the bottom, because it’s otherwise too ugly for a showpiece building.

With a weak dollar, it’s easy for rich foreigners to buy apartments in NYC, so we get a building boom but no increase in the local economy.

7. BobN says

I don’t get the complaints about buildings like this. Yes, they’re for very rich people. But the alternative would be very rich people pushing up the costs of existing real estate OR building more buildings of less height and taking up more land. Increased supply in this niche relieves demand.

Not to mention all the work for construction companies.

8. Mastik8 says

1175? WTF! At least have the courage of your convictions and go really tall rather than a fake deference for the Freedom Tower. Like the Freedom Tower it looks truncated with that jarring stop before the antenna. Would rather a gradual recess like the Empire of Chrysler buildings.

9. Mastik8 says

10. MIke says

If I had unlimited money, I just wouldn’t want to live in the sky. I agree with some people here, if you have a view of a park or oceanfront, the 20th or 30th floor view would be quite more appealing to me.

11. JonnyNYNY2FLFL says

Who would want to live in one of those buildings with Trump’s name plastered all over it?

In British slang, “Trump” means “fart” & in America the meaning is even worse.

12. FernLaPlante says

@SEANUMICH, NWYRKR didn’t say NO ONE should live on the 90th floor s/he said it wasn’t appealing to them personally. Not sure why you ranted about someone’s personal opinion.

13. jamal49 says

Complimentary parachutes for those on the 60th floor and above.

I am waiting for that enterprising journalist with cast-iron balls to do a penetrating investigation (deeper than the skim-job in the recent New York Magazine article) who will expose what Manhattan has become (thanks to some tweaking by ex-Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the New State Legislature): a money-laundering haven via real estate acquisitions for domestic and foreign billionaires, whether private individuals or corporate trusts and LLC’s.

14. StevyD says

I’ve read somewhere that if every American lived at a density level comparable to the population density of Manhattan, we would only need to use a land mass similar in size to the state of Arizona.

15. JoePuck says

Another fugly tower straining the already overburdened infrastructure!Hospitals disappearing more unaffordable housing for part time residents going up!

16. Zlick says

Pretty boring architecturally … but as an ex-New Yorker, I’m glad there’s a tall building boom on. Sure, it highlights the Dickensian class structure of Manhattan, but that’s a given whether this tower gets built or not.

It’s too bad most of these new “super-talls” are rather boring in design, but I’m hoping the aggregate of new tall buildings in mid-town will do something striking for the skyline as a whole.

17. Zlick says

18. JB says

Whoever wrote this article should do their research. The Chicago Spire, which recently resumed construction, will be the world’s tallest residential tower at 2,000 feet.

19. ratbastard says

Yawn. I thought the age if the super tall skyscraper was over. Apparently not. Having worked in skyscrapers for much of my adult life, I am always happy to get out onto the street at the end of the day. As for living in a highrise, I can deal with 20-40 stories as long as they have balconies and windows that can be opened. Anything higher is too tall, and the view actually starts to get crappy. Ones with sealed windows would be claustophobi and the air is generally unhealthy.