Louisiana | News

Baton Rouge City Council Votes 8-4 Against LGBT-Inclusive Non-Discrimination Ordinance: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 7.42.06 AM

In a 8-4 vote on Wednesday, the East Baton Rouge Parish Metro Council struck down a proposed law that would have ensured equal protections for LGBTQ minorities in Baton Rouge. In addition to sexual minorities, the law would have defended the rights of veterans and seniors with regards to their employment and affordable access to stable housing.

Ronnie Edwards, a member of the council responsible for voting on the legislation expressed her sentiment that the law did not do enough to protect other minorities including women, the impoverished, former convicts, and those living with HIV/AIDS.

WFAB reports:

AmorosoCouncilwoman C. Denise Marcelle proposed the ordinance. She says the debate turned ugly and personal for her. She said she became the victim of threatening, anonymous hate mail sent to her personal residence over the weekend.

"It's not an affirmation of homosexuality. It's an affirmation of nondiscrimination," Marcelle says. "I don't care how it looks discrimination will not be accepted in any form by Denise Marcelle.”

Council Member Buddy Amoroso [pictured], who was among the eight to vote against the ordinance, said he doesn't see the need for the law.

"I don't feel this meets the same level of discrimination I've seen with other minorities primarily African Americans back in the sixties when I was young."

Anti-gay protestors backed by the Louisiana Family Forum also showed up outside the city council chambers to voice their opposition to the proposed bill.

Watch a WFAB report on the vote and council meeting, AFTER THE JUMP...

[via joe.my.god]

WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Comments

1. How sickly ironic that when the debate was going on over protecting black people from discrimination "in the 60's" those who were against it used the EXACT same argument that Amaroso is using today. They were saying, "I don't think black people need protection" and "I don't think there's a real problem of discrimination against black people" and "why should they get special protections that white people don't get?"

I know this for a FACT because I LIVED through it and heard it over and over from my parents and just about every other white person I knew back then.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 15, 2014 8:01:50 AM

2. I'll just avoid going to La...they'll never get my tourism money again

Posted by: Disgusted American | Aug 15, 2014 8:15:58 AM

3. RED STICK LOOSE ANNA -- is going to vote that way until the next generation. Right now, poiiticians are catering to old "christians" who want to try to make up for their sins before kicking the bucket.

Posted by: Bob K | Aug 15, 2014 8:24:35 AM

4. This is why you avoid Baton Rouge. Hillbilly haven.

Posted by: Mitch | Aug 15, 2014 8:37:31 AM

5. Voting for discrimination is not only sad but indefensible.

Posted by: Jay | Aug 15, 2014 9:03:10 AM

6. The problem is right here. Like me, non of us from LA but we are commenting on this issue, just like this straight black woman, which says everything you need to know.

This man will be agreed by other blacks, as well as lgbtq black people who also agree w him, so Tampa, not sure how your argument will ever wash?

Until more lgtb people come out...this will keep on happening. Until more lgbt people stand up for themselves publicly, this will keep on happening. Until more black lgbt people come out nationally and they also demand respect from the industries they populate-urban&pop music and fashion-this will keep coming out.

As a non African American but black person, it's even more clear to me with what is going on now that it took a heck amount of white support to make change happen in the 60's.

And to see the lgbt community react the same ignorant, angry and bitchy way to straight help-see Macklemore and straight/gay lgbt sports organisations-I'm not sure we're going to have the old fashion way of doings that are just 'right'.

I've already seen straight people start to back away and I don't blame them. Who needs this? The only straight people lgbt people adore irrationally are mean straight women.

Who do nothing whatsoever but get them to hold their bag.

Posted by: Rowan | Aug 15, 2014 9:16:39 AM

7. ROWAN...that was totally incoherent. Kisses!

I am originally from Louisiana, and this type of ordinance will never pass.....not for decades. If you must visit Louisiana, go to New Orleans...avoid everything where else at all costs.

Posted by: wct | Aug 15, 2014 9:33:49 AM

8. Rowan, I have no idea what you're talking about or how it relates to my comment.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Aug 15, 2014 9:45:26 AM

9. Ignorant Baton Rouge-necks.

Posted by: Rey | Aug 15, 2014 10:18:12 AM

10. I'm sure it was because of the demand for cross-dressing bathroom and locker room access by our "allies" the T's. Same old story.

Posted by: Lil Kiwi | Aug 15, 2014 10:33:52 AM

11. Reason 28, 079 to stay away from Louisiana.

Posted by: ToThePoint | Aug 15, 2014 11:59:07 AM

12. Gee, I wonder if any of those African Amricans voted against the ordinance?

Posted by: TX | Aug 15, 2014 2:12:08 PM

13. @TX: Are you also wondering if any of those white people voted against the ordinance?

(For the record, neither the yes or no vote was along color lines.)

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 15, 2014 2:27:52 PM

14. Thank you, ERNIE. I was thinking up something very verwee verwee nasty to say but your comment calmed me down.

Gee, I wonder if TX saw a picture of the woman who introduced the pro-LGBT ordinance, Denise Marcelle? She may be Creole, but she's also definitely African-American.

Thank you for calming me down, ERNIE. I was about to say something verwee verwee awful about his mother.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 15, 2014 2:42:10 PM

15. Happy to be your virtual Xanax, Derrick, though sometimes those, um, colorful words must fly off one's chest.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 15, 2014 2:52:34 PM

16. "I don't feel this meets the same level of discrimination I've seen with other minorities ..." - FEEL?! Gee Marcelle, maybe try QUANTIFYING your FEELINGS before making decisions that impact the lives of OTHERS - you know, in case you happen to be WRONG about your FEELINGS.
    PS: Marcelle, you're wrong about your 'feelings'.

Interesting that Marcelle only has a problem when the debate turned ugly and personal for HER. Has this debate NOT been ugly and personal for all the gay people she's cast as second class citizens?!

Posted by: Locomotion | Aug 15, 2014 3:25:39 PM

17. @LOCOMOTION: Councilwoman Marcelle proposed and supported the fairness ordinance; the quote you're referring to is from Councilman Amoroso, a man, who opposed the ordinance. You're venting in the wrong direction.

Posted by: Ernie | Aug 15, 2014 3:35:43 PM

18. Whoops, thanks Ernie!

I haven't been myself lately; I've got Bell's Palsy right now and it's really discombobulated me.
    Thank you for correcting my error.

Posted by: Locomotion | Aug 15, 2014 4:09:43 PM

19. @ LOCOMOTION,

hope you get better REAL soon!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 15, 2014 5:43:01 PM

20. @ LOCOMOTION,

hope you get better REAL soon!

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 15, 2014 5:43:24 PM