Animated GIF | News | Science | Video

Everything You Wanted To Know About Earth But Were Too Busy To Ask (In 7 Minutes): VIDEO

Earth1

Ever wondered the exact mineral breakdown of the Earth's crust? Ever wanted a side-by-side size comparison of Mount Everest, the Burj Khalifa, and the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs? Ever wanted to know just how minuscule our time here on Earth has been?

I was not sure I did either, until someone took care of the details and made the perfect little video about "living in a thin, moist layer on a small, wet rock." Produced by YouTube user Kurzgesagt, the 7-minute thrill ride through the Earth's history is full of fun facts and sardonic humor, all narrated in a wonderfully British accent.

Check our complex planet out, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. What utter nonsense. For six days some dude messed about and made everything and on day 7 he rested. End of story.

Posted by: hugo | Aug 6, 2014 2:11:07 PM

2. Well, this should be shown in every school on the planet. Although Xtians will be mightally (sp?) offended. I'm waiting for more…

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Aug 6, 2014 2:25:28 PM

3. He also created only one man and one woman. At that time, there was no county clerk. They didn't have a marriage license. In other words, god forgot to create marriage.

Posted by: simon | Aug 6, 2014 2:29:47 PM

4. You are all morons the Earth is balanced atop an infinite stack of turtles. It's turtles all the way down.

Posted by: Huh | Aug 6, 2014 3:00:36 PM

5. Was I mistaken or did I see the Tardis floating about in the ocean near the begining?

Posted by: Kevin | Aug 6, 2014 3:32:18 PM

6. You people need to wake up and smell the coffee! We're all characters in a computer simulation, just part of an alien Sims game

Posted by: Jmac | Aug 6, 2014 3:33:10 PM

7. "You are all morons - the Earth is balanced atop an infinite stack of turtles. It's turtles all the way down."

This made me laugh. Of course, I believe in the standard scientific explanation of the origin of the Earth. But if you look at the explanation, the nature of the causal chain of events is no different than the one involved with the infinite turtles - it's just far more varied. Both reach a roadblock if you go back far enough. (Once again, I agree with the science. Just making an observation on the seemingly infinite extension of causality.)

Posted by: Sergio | Aug 6, 2014 3:38:04 PM

8. I don't know when the world will end, but I do know when it does, someone will blame 'the gays'

Posted by: Den | Aug 6, 2014 4:19:45 PM

9. finally, the comment section lives up to its promise. best comment thread in years! thanks guys, you made my day and resorted my faith in humanity. we are really lucky!

Posted by: HERMES | Aug 6, 2014 6:19:14 PM

10. Yes, an enjoyable thread. We are charming, witty, funny dudes, that's all there is to it. :)

Posted by: UFFDA | Aug 7, 2014 4:37:14 AM

11. You're right, Kevin, that is the Tardis floating by about 20 seconds into the video. Ha!

Posted by: Tatts | Aug 9, 2014 9:27:14 AM