Michael Sam Sacks Johnny Manziel Twice in Preseason Match Against Cleveland Browns: WATCH

Manziel

In last night's preseason match-up between the Cleveland Browns and St. Louis Rams, defensive end Michael Sam collided with quarterback Johnny Manziel twice.

On the first of the two sacks, Sam even threw up Manziel's "money" gesture as a celebratory jest.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP…

USA Today reports:

Manziel“He’s a talented kid,’’ Sam said of Manziel. “He isn’t called ‘Johnny Football’ for nothing. It was fun getting to play against Manziel in an NFL game.”

Sam now has three sacks this preseason after he recorded his first last week against the Green Bay Packers.

Manziel said he made sure to give Sam props after the game.

“He had an incredible year when we played them at Missouri this past year,’’ Manziel said. “The guy goes through a lot of stuff. He gets heckled by everybody, I’m sure. He came up to me and said, ‘Hello.’ It was just a brief interaction. He played pretty well.’’

The Rams have one last preseason game against the Miami Dolphins this Thursday – the final chance for Sam to secure a spot on the official season's roster. Final cuts are announced August 30.

Previously, "Michael Sam Makes Historic NFL Preseaso Debut: 'I Can Play In This League' – VIDEO"

Comments

1. Kim says

Keep improving each week if the Rams cant use him another team needs him.Manziel mentioned Sam was heckled I guess by the fans after the sack
    Stay Strong Michael

2. Don't Let Your Babies..... says

If the Rams are too deep for Sam to take a spot on their roster, the Cowboys most certainly are not. Dallas is CRYING for defense players, not just depth, but warm bodies.

If Jerry Jones was willing to take Manziel (and the attendant distractions) with their first-round pick–and accounts are that he had to be overruled by his son Stephen, or Manziel would be a Cowboy today– why wouldn’t he be willing to accept all the good press of welcoming Michael Sam back to Texas?

I’m afraid we all know the answer to that last question.

3. Derrick from Philly says

@ DON’T LET YOUR BABIES,

Okay, i accept your insight. But Mister Sam’s preseason looks pretty good. I’m hoping the best for Mister Sam.

I’m not even thinking about the Philadelphia Eagles. I’m a NEW St Louis Rams fan!

4. Sergio says

This was satisfying for at least two reasons: the implosion of straight male heads when Sam came through, and the tackling of that obnoxious wanker Manziel.

5. Rowan says

Manziel is a spoilt, nasty brat.

No heard the heckles but Johnny. And @seattlemike I bet you ‘the gays’ LOVE Manziel even more, those self hating so and so’s.

@moretruth Sam did even more at Mizzou but have you not seen how his whole football past has been erased? From lgbt blogs who are now football experts to football experts, I guy who won SEC was now seen as lucky to have been drafted.

I can’t imagine how that must feel for Sam. To see it unfold in front of you but if you complain, you will be labeled difficult. Poor guy. Thank god he has Vito.

6. jamal49 says

Although I am a Browns fan, I’ll take the sacks and the chance to see Michael Sams do well. I hope he makes the cut. Godspeed, Michael, and keep on playing well!

7. Rowan says

@ Hank

I would put any ethnicity there but I get what you mean in terms of entitlement. There is nothing worse then an arrogant, spoiled, white male. God help us they don’t get their own way!

Is Manziel straight? He is so weak. What a coward. And all these kids who look up to him?? Urgh.

8. R says

Great to see Michael Sam rocking it. Not everyone can undergo what he’s gone through — the intense microscope of it all — and come through the way he has thus far this preseason.

He’s doing everything in his power to make it absolutely impossible for him to be cut.

Can’t wait to see his first sack in a regular season game.

9. Phil says

I read an analysis which makes a convincing case that Sam won’t make the team. They have 9 slots and 8 are filled by veteran players. That means the rookies on the Rams all have to compete for just one open slot. And there’s some guy who is the favorite. He has more tackles than Michael Sam, although after this last game, Sam has more sacks.

It makes me sick that this guy, who can be a role model for gay and bi boys, is getting screwed over, first getting dropped from the 3rd round to the 7th round in the draft and now getting shafted by the Rams.