Pat Robertson: Possibly Gay Teen Would Be Straight If He Had ‘Male Companions’ – VIDEO

Robertson

One of Pat Robertson’s 700 Club viewers recently wrote in asking for the right-wing-nut’s advice because her 13-year-old step-son “who lives with his mother most of the time” has “crushes on boys.” Robertson made sure to respond with the tried-and-true myth favored by ring-wing crazies that this boy, like all homosexuals, has attraction “toward other men because he’s raised by a woman.” Right Wing Watch reports:

“I would get him male companions, I’d get him some man to help him, some mentor, someone who cares about young men,” Robertson advised. “He is being raised by a single woman and that is skewing his orientation.”

Watch the video, AFTER THE JUMP…

Comments

1. says

well none of that made any sense.

too bad women like this don’t call PFLAG. instead, they call the man who will end up causing this family to lose this young man.

guys like him either take their own lives, or hit the road and never look back. i sincerely hope he has the strength to opt for the latter.

2. max says

I wish Towleroad would spend less time giving attention to fringe whackos. Writing about their rants legitimizes them while we should be shunning them.

3. Ted says

““I would get him male companions, I’d get him some man to help him, some mentor, someone who cares about young men,”” My recommendation would be a Catholic Priest. Once a Catholic priest gets a hold of that kid, he will make him right as rain on a hot day.

4. Derrick from Philly says

LOL LOL LOL LOL

I wish I’d had more male companions when I was 13. I wish they could’ve come right off a highschool football field (or college–I like…well, I used to like older men).

5. SpaceCadet says

I find solace that this budding 13 year-old gay boy is in what I presume is the loving, nurturing care of his real mother, and not the custody of the “concerned” step-mother who should kindly butt the f*ck out.

6. woodroad34 says

Those “ideas” of his are as old as he is:
    1. gay because of dominant mother; weak father
    2. too many women, thus he estrogenized
    3. not enough “boyfriends” in his social life
    Seriously, the world has gained knowledge, why hasn’t he? Lazy? Stupid? Brain-dead?

7. says

the reality is, of course, that there are no “external” factors that make a person gay, and thus could de-gay or prevent one from becoming gay.

we know this because we gay people who actually exist in the real world talk to each other. we share stories. we share experiences. we bond and connect and were there one or a few “smoking guns” we’d have found them by now.

the religious-right keeps these ideas alive because then it allows insecure right-wing self-hating gays to pretend they’ve overcome their maladjusted upbringings, and by beating a pillow and couch-cuddling a creepy old pervert they feel like they can pretend to be “not gay anymore.”

it’s not that different from ‘say five hail marys’ and your sins are forgiven. uh, ok. mumbo jumbo jones.

“hit that pillow, blame your dad for not hugging you enough, and PRESTO! You now have an insatiable desire for vaginas!”

none of those things have any factor on whether or not one will be gay. they can only affect how said gay person will adjust to being gay, whether or not they’ll embrace it, and their happiness tied to having a gay identity.

8. Steve H says

Good call Rev Robertson. I know it sure helped me to have all those male companions. I also want to thank all the guys who used to swim at the old Carter farm pond and those of you who hung out under the East End Overpass and to the many friends and fellow horndog teenagers who help keep our barn loft smelling musky year round. I wouldn’t the grinning idiot I am today if I hadn’t had all that great male companionship.

9. Hey Darlin' says

Oops, Once again the truth of how society really works has failed Mr. Robertson. The fact it always has should probably inform us that it always will.

Don’t we doubt the legitimacy of these calls when a mother of a 13 year old (probably 30-ish herself) reaches out to someone like Pat Robertson for advice.

10. Mike says

What do want to bet that this decrepit old geezer would STILL volunteer himself as a mentor/male companion. His ears literally “pricked up”. “Oh boy, could you help me carry these heavy bibles?” ala George Rekers and the rent boy.

11. JJ says

“I would get him male companions”

Better go out and get some parental rights first, because they don’t come automatically with the title of stepparent.

12. says

When I was growing up, I bonded with my mom. Most of my friends were girls. I frosted my hair and joined the cheerleading squad. I was the only male – well, quasi-male – among all the girls.

As an adult, I am obsessed with the meaning of masculinity, something I feel that I lack. I post lots of angry comments asserting that masculinity has no real meaning and doesn’t matter, but I no one believes that I really mean it, and honestly, I don’t. What should I do?

13. Linda Murphy says

Little K, I’ve read through the comment thread and your essay on TGMP.

While I don’t condone imposters, I think the fake Kiwi had a valid observation. You are sort of obsessed with masculinity and are on a crusade about it. It seems like you are trying to convince yourself of something. You remind me a bit of the anti-gay Christian who rants about homosexuality all the time but who insists that he has no personal interest in the subject.

As for the essay, I am sorry you felt isolated and judged. That was wrong. However, you should think about whether some of this was your mind telling you that people were against you. How do you even know that that little boy was telling you the truth about what his dad said? Maybe he just wanted to mess with you and used his dad as a way to insult you while shunting responsibility to an adult. Kids do this sort of indirect insulting all the time. (“Sally said you are ugly!” “The teacher said you are really dumb!”) And when you graduated, how can you possibly know that the expressions on a couple of peoples’ faces were all about you and your sexuality. Maybe their facial expressions had nothing whatsoever to do with you. Your sexuality might have been the furthest thing from their mind, but you have told yourself otherwise and are carrying that around through life and writing about it nearly 2 decades later.

Maybe the best thing is to let go of the slights of the past and also let go of this crusade regarding gender issues. Focus on living a joyful life. Think about it!

14. says

I think, “Linda Murphy” (HA!) that an intelligent reader would understand that the real issue is the baseless weight people give to perceived gender-norms.
    There’s no “crusade about masculinity” – and only a trolling idiot using various screen names to try to make a new point would think so. 😉

it’s very simple: how misogyny, sexism, transphobia and anti-gay bigotry are hopelessly intertwined.

it’s clear you didn’t read the whole essay. but i commend you for adopting a new, female!, screen-name in order to continue to get my attention :)

the “crusade” regarding gender issues is not over, and it shouldn’t be. a real woman would have understood that. as would an openly-gay man. you’re neither, of course. and nobody is fooled. but nice try!

15. Tyler says

Linda, for someone who has never posted on here, you sure know a lot about kiwi. That being said, the only perms on this site obsessed with masculinity and “gender issues” (as you put it) is Rick and his dozens of aliases.

16. jjose712 says

Well, i think the stepmother is extralimiting her. If the parents don’t have a problem with the guy being gay (or having boy crushes) she has no right to step in and cause trouble, specially because that could end really bad for her

17. anon says

I’d wish people on here would stop downplaying the seriousness of clinical depression. Teenage boys do not kill themselves because their parents are mean to them, because they are called names and bullied in school or other hard aspects of life–suicide is almost always the result of medical issue called asymptomatic acute or chronic depression (major depressive disorder). It is not cured by telling the child he’s loved and wonderful and everything will be fine. Getting bullied and having neglectful parents won’t help the disease, but focusing on those things misses the point entirely.

18. Bernie says

I am not sure why I am biting……Pat Robertson’s so called advice is so archaic, idiotic, illogical and irrational…. The only thing I like is the comic relief Pat Robertson provides……………

19. Bill says

Sean needs to change the title of the article – it would be much funnier if he made it “hot male companions” even though that is not what Robertson had in mind.

Maybe put “hot” in parentheses or brackets so that it will be obviously an editorial insertion rather than a direct quote.

20. Linda Murphy says

Little Kiwi,

I am sorry that you choose not to engage with me over what I wrote. I am not concerned with the correctness of your views on gender or homophobia or any other political issue. You could be right about every issue you listed or wrong about every issue, but it would have nothing to do with whether you are benefiting from carrying the slights of the past with you. My earlier comment was to encourage you to consider letting go of the overwhelming anger over these issues, apparently triggered by events in your youth as discussed in the essay, which btw I did read in its entirety.

I hope you will think about this. Take care.

21. Liam says

Linda Murphy: Exactly why are you posting this nonsense here in the comment section on an article about Pat Robertson’s latest nonsense? Using this space to concern troll Kiwi is odd. Especially since you have never posted here under that name before. Go find something else to do. You are a mess.

22. says

Linda Murphy is not “linda murphy” – tis the same MALE troll that’s on here trying to get my attention, every day, because he could never get his own father’s. Up next he’ll be talking about how “we all need to let Race Issues go, because Ferguson is “no big dead.” It’s no “linda Murphy” – it’s the same middle-aged closeted man who posts all his usual misogynistic, sexist internalized-homophobic garbage here every day. he just wanted to show us all the extent of his crazy, and his utterly unhealthy obsession with me. note his obsession about the anger in me, not the anger in the “anti-fem” commenters; why? simple: he wrote those. UFFDA – seriously. you’re fooling nobody. you’re a pathetic excuse for a man.

23. Clint says

I’m glad that Towleroad covers these wingnuts. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

We must keep track of what they do and say. They must be held accountable.

They don’t go away because we can’t see them. Get a grasp of object permanence. You aren’t a goddamn toddler.

24. Jerry6 says

I sometimes wonder if it is the trolls that comment under a variety of names that give me a good laugh every day, or the seriously important and meaningful insights into the injustices that the species “MAN” inflicts on their fellow “Men” on a daily basis that draws me to TOWLEROAD every day..