Lorde | Music | Music Video | News | Video

Trombone-Wielding Farmer Plays Lorde's 'Royals' 'Til The Cows Come Home: VIDEO

Lorde1

YouTube user Farmer Derek Klingenberg has amassed millions of views on prairie-parodies alone; songs like, "Do you want to drive my tractor?" (ripping-off Frozen's "Do You Want To Build A Snowman?") and "What Does the Farmer Say?" (a send-up of Ylvis' "fox" version) drew in plenty of crowds. But cows? They're tougher to please.

Cue Farmer Derek sitting in a field alone with his trombone and blaring Lorde's number one hit "Royals." The cattle can't help but say yes, and the visual alone will have you laughing. Stick it out to the end to see just how musical these cows can be.

Watch the hilarious video, AFTER THE JUMP...

Lorde2

Comments

1. Wow, this was news two days ago.

Posted by: Joe | Aug 6, 2014 10:41:16 AM

2. That's amusing. Aren't herd animals normally alarmed by loud noises, though? Why are they walking towards him?

Posted by: Sergio | Aug 6, 2014 10:41:56 AM

3. I was born on a farm and we had cows, but for some strange reason we never played the trombone for them.
    Great video! A man and his music loving cows.

Posted by: David From Canada | Aug 6, 2014 10:42:24 AM

4. Sergio- we used to call our cows to the barn to be milked by yelling "Hey bossy, bossy!"

Posted by: homer | Aug 6, 2014 10:44:00 AM

5. Animals learn to follow sound. Calling them to eat is most common.

On a side, but mildly related, note, contrary to popular belief, not all cows used to wear bells around their necks, just the lead cow. When cows were let out into the woods to graze (yes, the woods), they couldn't see each other, but would be able to follow the lead cow by sound.

Posted by: Chris | Aug 6, 2014 10:48:54 AM

6. Cows and other animals can be taught to come when you call or play music. They used to use pipes in ancient greece to call them quite like a trombone or trumpet in sound.

Posted by: Robert | Aug 6, 2014 10:52:26 AM

7. One of our dogs used to come sit under the piano when I played.

If you listen to the trombone and then the timbre of the cows mooing... is it just me or is there a facet of it that's similar? Are they in the same range? If that's the case, maybe that's why they come over. Also remember -- herd animals. If a few go, they all go. He doesn't have to attract ALL the cows, just ENOUGH cows.

Posted by: Grant | Aug 6, 2014 11:06:05 AM

8. Grant, my last dog Beau used to love when I played the piano as well! Every time I would sit down to play, he would come over and either sit right at my feet or jump up on the bench and sit right next to me, and he would just sit there and listen to me play the piano. Was so adorable!

Posted by: Lucas | Aug 6, 2014 2:02:16 PM

9. Thanks for this, don't care if it's old news, I hadn't seen it.

By the way, I believe he's playing a flugelhorn, and rather well at that…

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Aug 6, 2014 2:46:14 PM

10. My dogs definitely have likes and dislikes when it comes to composers I play on the piano. They hang around for music from the classical period (Mozart, Haydn, Clementi, Schubert), but they get up and walk away if it's something loud, fast and dissonant.

Posted by: Marty | Aug 6, 2014 5:41:27 PM

11. Those are some music loving cows...

Posted by: jarago | Aug 6, 2014 6:00:55 PM

12. That's adorable. It almost makes me want to give up beef, almost.

Posted by: IPW | Aug 6, 2014 6:26:57 PM