‘Walking Dead’ Creator Suggests Daryl Dixon Might Be Gay

Dixon

Fans of AMC's The Walking Dead have long speculated that Daryl Dixon (played by actor Norman Reedus) might possibly be gay – especially with four seasons having come and gone without the volatile zombie hunter developing romantic attractions for any of the show's rotating female survivors.

The show's creator, Robert Kirkman, is well-aware of the speculation and decided to give viewers an answer after a recent fan letter asked him point blank about the widely-held theory, Comicbook.com reports:

When asked if the possibility of Daryl being gay had been considered, Kirkman answered, “All I can say is that it’s been discussed. We have very specific ideas about Daryl’s sexuality (or the seeming lack thereof), and if there’s ever a quiet period in the show where he’s not consistently distracted by crossbowing… we’ll tackle it in the show.”

When also asked if AMC would let the possibility of Daryl Dixon being gay fly, Kirkman responded, “For the record, they absolutely would.

Walking Dead fans, what are your thoughts on Daryl's sexuality and do you support the showrunners' plan to possibly address the issue in the future?

The Walking Dead Season 5 premieres on Sunday October 12, 2014 at 9 pm ET on AMC.

Comments

1. JMC says

2. Dastius Krazitauc says

“if there is ever a moment when he isn’t crossbowing”. Sorry, that doesn’t fly. Last season he spent a whole episode with Beth where they basically just talked and talked and talked. So, it can be done.

And Rick, Lori, Shane, Andrea, Glenn, Maggie, Tyreese, Karen, the Governor, Tara, Alisha and probably others have had their sexuality/romantic feelings addressed in between fighting zombies and living threats. So, they could make it happen for Daryl if they wanted to.

3. Chris D says

Ummmm hell, why not? Daryl should meet a smoking hot dude to fall for! They could have a little romance for a few episodes! Maybe that’s why D and his brother never really saw eye to eye!? He’s gay!?

4. Mikey M says

I had never considered it, but I think it’s cool that Kirkman is talking about this so openly, especially considering he’s the most popular characters on one of the most watched cable dramas.

Lighten up, y’all.

5. wonderdallas says

I mentioned this “possibly gay?” theory on the Walking Dead forum back in 2013 (in response to a thread created in 2012) and the pushback was disappointing.

It ranged from he can’t be gay because he’s a redneck to “you want him to be gay because you are sexually attracted to him” bs.

Mainly it was posters not realizing that their disgust, over the idea being brought, up is homophobic.

6. wonderdallas says

7. Hey Darlin' says

I would love to see an openly gay male character on the show. I thought maybe one of the Governor’s men was in Woodbury (with glasses) but it was never addressed.

The Governor’s girlfriend Lilly had a sister, Tara, who is gay or bi and with Rick’s group but it wasn’t mentioned much last season.

8. bligh says

They’ve already done the apparently obligatory lesbian hot girls relationship thing as a gift to the straight guy audience.

Rather than risk turning the gays against the show and stating directly that they have no interest in showing gay men, they give us this lame excuse about being too busy crossbow shooting.

Definite pandering.

9. Dastius Krazitauc says

“The comic series had several gay characters but I don’t remember about this one”

You don’t remember it because the character, Daryl Dixon, is not in the comic. He is an original character created for the tv show.

10. Dave says

There was a lesbian relationship this past season, brought up in several episodes. One of the characters is still alive, and seems likely to be featured more in the upcoming season . . unless she is cannibalized in episode 1. I thought it was great how unremarkable and casual her “coming out” was.

11. Ken says

I can definitely see Daryl getting involved in some man-man romance. Given his history and the relationship with his brother, maybe it would even be a first time, or a coming out to self moment. I’d love to see the show explore the challenges of a male-male relationship in the apocalyptic setting. Make it so!

12. Jason says

The actual comic has had positively viewed gay characters in it. I love how he handles them. Like human beings. It never feels like a big deal. There have been times he thought it was obvious but he had to answer about it in letters. He appears to have a very modern view of gay characters.

13. JJ says

I don’t think it would be a good idea. You can’t just introduce a change like that to the most popular character on the show after all this time when there was no prior indication that it was part of his character. It will rub people the wrong way, as they will feel that Daryl was changed in order to pander to us. At the very most, I would make him bi-curious.

A more interesting way to go would be to make Carl gay. He has been a kid for the first 3 seasons and is just now becoming a man, so it wouldn’t be a jarring change to have him be gay.

14. Dastius Krazitauc says

JJ, how would it be a “change”, when Daryl has not already expressed his heterosexuality? The character is a blank slate, since there was no precursor for him in the comic. It would be more a revelation than a change.

15. twostepcub (@twostepcub) says

Christ on a cracker, does everything have to come down to who’s boinking what? Like being chased by zombies at every turn is a turn-on? Why can’t it just be his freaking story without sex for once needing to come in to it. The reason I watch the show is NOT for the romantic trysts.

That said I’d marry Michael Cudlitz in a heartbeat 😉

16. macguffin54 says

Yeah, there would be A LOT of pushback if they were to make him gay. Not just from homophobes, but from the huge Carol/Daryl fan base and the few Beth/Daryl fans and maybe the MichonneDaryl shippers, too. At this point, since there haven’t been ANY clues (save for him not appearing drawn to ANYBODY) I think making him gay at this point would be wrong. It’s a shame that it is that way, but fans have been invested in his character for too many years to make that sort of revelation out of the blue now. Not that there wouldn’t be fans out there willing to embrace him, so to speak :-)

17. Dastius Krazitauc says

It’s a shame if the show has to be constrained creatively by the limited intellects and imaginations of viewers, that is, those who accept Rick, Lori, Shane, Governor, Andrea, Glenn, and Maggie not only having a sexuality but “boinking” on the show, but will make a fuss if Daryl’s character is developed the same way. Daryl has been a stoic and silent character for most of the time, so I don’t think it would be such a change. And @TWOSTEPCUB, being gay is not a sex act. It is not boinking. It could be revealed Daryl is gay through back story, and he would never even have to unsettle viewers with a, gasp, sex act.

18. AJ says

I watch the show “Lucky Dog” occasionally, not ONLY because of the hot host Brandon McMillan, but he helps. Anyway, there was a show recently that featured a gay couple w an adopted son as the gay couple that Brandon was training the rescue dog for. I was stunned by how little attention was brought to the fact that they were a gay couple. The narrator just sd “His husband So-and-so works in blah blah blah.” It was very boring and commonplace. Baby steps, people. Baby steps.

19. UFFDA says

There should be a moment when he is asked “Do you fancy men?” and he would say, “men can be very fine…fine for the soul…but for me, it is women who draw my body.”

20. Josh says

“lol so yet another show runner is pandering to a desperate slash fanbase to try and make up for the fact that the show has zero actual gay characters. this is so transparent.”
    ————————

JMC STFU please. Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

First off Robert Kirkman is NOT the “show runner”. He created the comics the show is based on and while he is heavily involved in the show he is not running things.

Second…Daryl is not even part of the comics and Kirkman REFUSES to add him to the comics because of fangirls who will riot if anything happens to Daryl that they don’t like.

Third…Tara is a lesbian on the show and coming up this season will be Aaron who is gay(but kind of boring) but further down the road on the show (likely season 6) will be Paul Monroe/Jesus who many fans consider the be the biggest badass character ever in the comics. He is a mixed martial artist/close combat/escape artist…and he just so happens to be gay. Kirkman also BITCHSLAPPED down a bigot who wrote in about the character after it was casually revealed he was gay as well. Kirkman also already confirmed Jesus will be on the show already when they reach that point in the comics.

You’re ignorant!

21. Gry says

Tara, the lesbian police trainee, developed some very cool character shadings this past season. Her friendship with Glenn feels very genuine.

All you have to do is take into account the environment that Daryl was raised in to understand why he would be guarded about his sexuality.

22. says

I think this was addressed in depth here http://wp.me/p4Vr6N-5b , Is Daryl Dixon Gay, Going To Die, OR In Love With Beth?

It all seem just to convenient to me. All these rumors surrounding their most popular character right before the start of season five. Seems like a media buzz blitz to me, and a very good strategy if that is indeed what it is!

23. Him says

Got the feeling the character is gay
    because he’s in the deep south, the
    world ended and most of the survivors
    are country folk. He doesn’t even express
    interest in women. He may be accustomed
    to being closeted, may have have yet
    to acknowledge his own sexuality, or may
    be thinking to keep it to himself/in his
    pants because gay-bashing is just about
    last thing he needs.

24. Ian says

I don’t see why it’s necessary to even disclose Daryl’s sexuality. And the comic has gay characters that would probably end up on the show in a season or two. And one is named Jesus. So, let the straight people have Daryl.

25. Jessy says

Well I don’t like it but that’s just me. I have a Daryl T-shirt because of course I like him he’s cool he’s a man but I would not wear it again just because in my mind he’s my Edward Cullen if you will and knowing he’s gay just makes me feel rejected before even getting the chance it just feels weird and very forced. Make Carl gay if you need a gay person so bad but not Daryl it it may fit the story but it just doesn’t suit his character.

26. Amy says

HELL NO!!! I am not homophobic but WHY make Daryl gay????? He is who all the girl fans fantasize about. don’t ruin a good thing, or I know a lot of people who will not watch anymore. Sorry, just my opinion.

27. devoted walking dead fan says

The show has not set daryl up for being gay. No glimpse in a male direction indicating amy interest. He seemed interested in Beth. I will be very disappointed if the walking dead writers go this direction. Make another character gay if this aspect is sooo important.

28. Tracy says

No I do not think it would be good for daryl to be gay…hes too manly..they should give him a love interest that is a woman. I think it would ruin the show