Manhattan Maple Syrup Mystery

I walked around my apartment for hours last night wondering where the maple syrup smell was coming from. I thought I had spilled something. At least I know I’m not crazy.

The Sweet Smell of New York City [curbed]
Maple Sugar Smell Mystery [gothamist]
Good Smell Perplexes New York [ny times]
Sweet Smell Wafts Through Lower Manhattan [newsday]
Strong Whiff of Worry Downtown [nydn]
When Things Don’t Smell Like Ass, It’s News [gawker]
Strong, Sweet Smell Reported in Manhattan [ap]

It made me want to order pancakes.

Comments

1. Ed says

Ha, I did the same thing, even asking my roommate if he’d had anything with syrup because I could smell it all over the apartment. I live up in Morningside Heights and by 11, I could smell it up there.

2. HOMO says

Holy crap! And I thought I was just drunk. I live on the UWS and smelt it all night. It made me try out maple syrup as lube…not advised.

3. tjonasgreen says

Contrary to the articles, it wasn’t confined to downtown N.Y. I smelled it last night on the Upper West Side too. I dismissed it after a minute, thinking I must have stuffed sinuses or else was going schizo (schizophrenics are said to experience strange smells sometimes).

4. says

I smelt it too and I am in London! Nah… just kidding. I used to get the smell of burn toast in Sydney but it turned out to be the smell of the brewery.

I am sure its a smell-a-like too. JB

5. mdpnewyork says

I could smell it last night at my apartment in Hells Kitchen. It smelled remarkably good, reminding me of fall cooking, mmm….

Still, I’d love to know where it came from.

6. Glenn says

From all the reaction it’s gotten, if this wasn’t some kind of marketing gimmick, it sure oughta be.

7. JEFF says

I swear I thought the old sweatshirt I was wearing had a syrup whiff to it. I grinned from ear to ear when Kelly Ripa this morning announced that she, too, had smelled the mysterious quasi pancake odor. It made me feel like, hey, we’re in this together. Just 9/11. Only with Aunt Jemima.

8. bron says

I swear I thought the old sweatshirt I was wearing had a syrup whiff to it. I grinned from ear to ear when Kelly Ripa this morning announced that she, too, had smelled the mysterious quasi pancake odor. It made me feel like, hey, we’re in this together. Just like 9/11. Only with Aunt Jemima.

9. Ed says

But this wasn’t just any sweet smell, this was the distinct smell of maple syrup. I think hordes of people in NYC were driving themselves crazy trying to find a syrup spill in their pantries last night.

10. says

I smelled it, too. I may be making it up, but I swear I smell it again right now. Maybe it’s just the power of suggestion.

11. says

How odd! Here in Boston in the section called the North End, you can smell molasses on a hot summer day. At the turn of the century a Molasses factory blew up flooding the streets of the North End with Molasses which are still lodged in nooks and crannies of the streets, apparently.

What is happening in NY is rather fascinating….and a bit frightening.

12. monty says

The smell was also noticeable in the east 90s. I thought it was coming from a nearby apartment, and was probably some pothead with a nightime craving for pancakes with maple syrup (I can relate). I had no idea everyone in the city was smelling the same thing!

Odd that they still don’t know where the smell came from. The last time the entire city smelled of the same thing was on 9-11, so, this doesn’t make me giggle. Although I did make pancakes with maple syrup just today, and they were delicious!

I wonder if sales of pancake mix and maple syrup increased this weekend?

13. HisHolynessDPope says

Homeland Security was experimenting with all of you… testing to see how long it would take everyone to get ‘gassed’ by a sweet smell and what the reaction would be so when terrorists do it everyone will remember back to how harmless the maple smell was… no panic, just enjoy the nice smell… hmmm…

14. HisHolynessDPope says

Homeland Security’s #1 mission is to reduce the planet’s population… beginning with all who oppose the New World Order!

15. JW says

This all seems eerily similar to the events from an episode of 30 Rock–just be thankful the smell wasn’t found to be the result of a Northrax attack!