A Look Back at 2005: The Underground

14thstreet

For the next ten days or so I’ll be posting some of my favorite photos of 2005. Some have made it to the site, some haven’t. Since I won’t be able to post as frequently over the next few days (though you’ll be sure to get some regular posts as well) this will be a regular feature until the new year.

I shot this photo last Saturday, just two days before the NYC transit strike, which is putting the city through hell right now. Despite the fact that they’re bloody hot in the summer and bitter cold in the winter, there is always something to look at on the gritty subway platforms. I caught this shot by accident.

Comments

1. Alan says

The City’s kind of magical right now without the subway, at least if you’re in Manhattan and not too far from work. A very extended snowday.

2. Jimmy says

Oh man!!!!!!!!!

Now my sentimental emotional pisces side is all tearing up at the beauty of that photo

Thanks for getting me all veklempt (spell check)

3. David says

What a great picture! Thanks for posting it. Now I’m even more excited about my NYC visit in mid-Jan. :)

4. Jimmy says

KEN (take this nicely) change your contact lens perscritpion because that is so totaly obviously 2 guys

5. Ken says

Please describe what makes it two guys. The one on the right looks more like a guy than the one on the right. They sure could both be guys. But how do you know? How is it “obviously”? The one on the left looks feminine to me, and shorter. I know girls (not dykes) who dress like this. It’s too bad Andy didn’t provide a large image. When I click on the image it comes up the very same size – not helpful at all.

6. HisHolynessDPope says

The colours are almost ‘vivid’…

The background a bit “blurry”…

Do i have the correct blog?

Or has ‘Towleroad’ become ‘Vividblurry’… ?

i’d like to see the top five or six gay blog writers get together in a communal marriage of sorts…

Think of the money and time saved if they had one larger site that would cater to all…

If they all wrote about the same story we’d have completely different stories being told due to their perspectives and writing styles.

Posting some photos of some of the action would increase traffic to the site… more ad revenue would be the result…

Would be nice to see it on a trial basis for a year and if it didn’t work out just think… some might pair up together in the ideal relationship, hit it off really great?

Shall we vote on this and the outcome become binding?

7. adamhusak says

Always love your photos – any chance you could link them to larger versions, so we ca see all the details?

thanks.

8. says

Ken, i’m with you on this one… not convinced in the least that’s 2 guys. the one on the left looks totally chick.
    that being said… it’s a sweet pic.

9. Becks07 says

Jesus, what a sorry state of affairs. Who cares if it’s two guys — it’s a great picture. I suppose some people here wouldn’t award a Pulitzer unless it involved a zoom shot of a fisting party.

Rock on.

10. Jeff says

Oh yeah Ken, thats one hot Babe! Check out her monster sized girly feets! Ummm, mmmm. Dats one hotz babe, yes she is, and she nows all ’bout how to catch herseff a mans in da Chelsea Fourteemph street stop. Oh yes shee do.

11. jpermo says

add this thread to Sullivan’s ‘End of Gay Culture Watch’. Of course, we cannot tell if it’s 2 guys or not and still we tear up like a bunch of romantics. It’s a Brokeback moment, like it or not. See, they’re people and they’re in love and how nice is that?

12. Sayke says

Is there a larger version? Higher definition or whatever it’s called. Picture that beautiful, my immediate reaction is to want to make it my desktop background. But it’d look weird stretching one that small.

13. Pete says

You are all morons. This picture sucks. I see people like that on the subway everyday and makes me sick. Who the hell wants to make out in an underground tunnel that smells like urine.

14. Pete says

Also definitely a hetero couple. Don’t try to label me as a gay basher b/c i’m not. Gay men don’t wear pants as baggy as the guy on the right and the one on the left just simply isn’t a man.

15. Jay Croce says

The photo is fantastically romantic. I don’t even care if it’s two guys or a mismatched set. It’s still lovely and romantic.

I hope they see it one day, and you can send them a copy. It reminds me of that V.E.Day photo taken in Times Square they call “The Kiss”.

Love! Ain’t it grand!

16. Zeke says

One thing is for sure: the third person in the background isn’t a woman — it’s an effeminate guy with a handbag and red shoes.

17. CriticalRN says

and if i remember correctly from my subway experiences, the smells of urine and gear grease must only have added to the romance.

18. Robert In WeHo says

Andy, you’ve got a knack for being in the right place at the right time. Great job, great photo! Keep it up!

19. annie sprinkler says

that is sooo not TWO GUYS!!

look at her pants …
    and the shoes!!
    jose’, maria e tutti i santi!!

i love being gay too but damn!!!

20. NACHO says

that’s a great picture…now is part of my favorites ones…the 2 guys made me cry…thinking about a guy who i love so much from spain…and i’m from uruguay [latin america]….so I hope meet him some day!
    well congratulation!! that’s a perfect picture of how sweet gay love can be!

21. says