Elsewhere

BigGayDeal.com

road.jpg Massachusetts upholds ban on non-resident same-sex marriages.
Justice: "The laws of this commonwealth have not endowed nonresidents with an unfettered right to marry. Only nonresident couples who come to Massachusetts to marry and intend to reside in this commonwealth thereafter can be issued a marriage license without consideration of any impediments to marriage that existed in their former home states."

Pink_pontiffroad.jpg Pope Benedict inserts himself into Italian politics ten days ahead of the national elections. Reuters: "He said the Church had a right and duty to defend 'the recognition and promotion of the natural structure of the family as a union between a man and a woman based on marriage'. It would oppose 'attempts to make it juridically equivalent to radically different forms of union which in reality harm it and contribute to its destabilisation'." In other news, the Roman Catholic church received 783 new claims of sex abuse by clergy in 2005.

road.jpg American Idol contest Mandisa has been a powerhouse diva the past few weeks, occasionally blowing our minds while occasionally looking like she could appear onstage at gay bar USA. But is she gay-friendly or ex-gay friendly? The Advocate looks at her interest in writer Beth Moore, whose books and website advocate saving oneself from the "sins" of homosexuality.

road.jpg RCA pulls Clay Aiken sophomore release.

Scaliaroad.jpg Justice Scalia caught in lie about obscene gesture at Cathedral of the Holy Cross. Photographer: "The judge paused for a second, then looked directly into my lens and said, ‘To my critics, I say, ‘Vaffanculo,’ ' punctuating the comment by flicking his right hand out from under his chin, Smith said." Vaffanculo, according to AmericaBlog, means "go get fucked up your ass."

road.jpg British student forced to change schools after fellow students assemble bullying website accusing him of being gay. Student: "They had stolen photos of me from my website and put them on their site with really nasty comments underneath. I asked them to take the website down but they just laughed at me."

road.jpg Naomi Campbell arrested for assaulting her assistant.

road.jpg Democratic Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney reportedly punches cop after alleged security incident. McKinney statement: "I know that Capitol Hill Police are securing our safety, that of thousands of others, and I appreciate the work that they do. I deeply regret that the incident occurred. I have demonstrated my support for them in the past and I continue to support them now."

road.jpg Loch Ness Moncert?: Fatboy Slim, Mylo, and Carl Cox plan a gig on the banks of Scotland's infamous lake.

Comments

1. Isn't this very similar to the old miscegenation laws used to prevent interracial marriage? Haven't we already worked this out once before?

And would someone slap the living hell out of Mitt Romney and tell him to take his a$$ back to Utah where he belongs? How in the hell did such a social conservative win a statewide election in one of the bluest-of-the-blue states?

Posted by: Jonathon | Mar 30, 2006 1:03:39 PM

2. AmericaBlog is absolutely right. "Va fan culo" really does my "go fuck yourself up the ass" (literally "go do an ass").

Not only does Scalia revolt me, he insults me. Does he really think he can get away with saying something like that is not offensive when there are millions of Italian speakers in this country?

Next time, he should try insulting someone in Quechua.

Posted by: Mona | Mar 30, 2006 1:28:37 PM

3. Re. that pic of Pope Benny...is it just me or does he look like the biggest fag in the world? That self-hating, Gucci-wearing homophobic jerk looks like a horrible cross between Truman Capote, that evil Senator from Star Wars and Joan Collins circa Dynasty..with that headwear...Man, what a sorry excuse for a spiritual leader he is.

Posted by: Ray | Mar 30, 2006 1:36:32 PM

4. Check out Scalia's stubby little fingers. Am I the only one who suspects he's suffering from little penis syndrome?

Posted by: Brian | Mar 30, 2006 1:46:28 PM

5. Actually Pope Benedict just looks evil.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Mar 30, 2006 1:52:19 PM

6. Another non-apology from the racist McKinney. No doubt she'll get a pass because as we all know, blacks can not be racist.

Posted by: Tom | Mar 30, 2006 2:19:11 PM

7. But Tom can be.

Posted by: Kyle Childress | Mar 30, 2006 2:31:30 PM

8. Thank you Andy for bringing up the Pope's statements. I was molested as a kid in a Catholic school, and in response to your post, I called my Diocese to bring their attention to the hypocrisy. I try, they don't.

Andrew

Posted by: Andrew | Mar 30, 2006 2:40:22 PM

9. Apologies, for double posting. Tom, what the hell does race have to do with Rep. Mckinney? Why? Why is a racist, homophobe even visiting this site? Go back to MySpace and pick up your next ex-boyfriend.

A

Posted by: Andrew | Mar 30, 2006 2:54:17 PM

10. "Another non-apology from the racist McKinney. No doubt she'll get a pass because as we all know, blacks can not be racist."--Tom

Uh, how does hitting a cop make her racist instead of ill-tempered, ignorant, PMS-ing, flakey, nutty, etc.? Did she issue a racist epithet? What proof do you have of McKinney's racism? Are you saying that white police officers never hassle African Americans unjustly? It's pretty obvious that you don't have any friends or acquaintances who are African American.

Also, your use of the phrase "..we all know, blacks can not be racist" says something about your own seemingly racist, cynical line of thinking.

The last time I checked, I recall Louis Farrakhan being denounced by other African American leaders because of his anti-Semitism. Your remark is the kind one would expect from the Rush Limbaughs of the right who decry "Political Correctness" because they can't openly call African Americans "niggers" or gays "fags/dykes" or women "broads," but take delight any time one of those people does wrong because it gives them a chance to say "see, I told you so!"

Posted by: noah | Mar 30, 2006 3:05:16 PM

11. Speaking as a constituent of Ms. McKinney's.,. she is a nut... a complete looney tune.. but given the choice I had in the last election, she was the lesser of the two evils...

Posted by: Darren | Mar 30, 2006 3:15:13 PM

12. Aren't you getting a bit obsessive with the Pope? Do you even know him?

Posted by: chris | Mar 30, 2006 3:51:48 PM

13. One doesn't have to know the pope to understand what kind of damage his ignorant spewings cause.

Posted by: Brett | Mar 30, 2006 4:01:48 PM

14. tee hee, chris. He's pretty obsessed with us, tho. That's the first thing.

Posted by: brian nyc | Mar 30, 2006 4:10:43 PM

15. So...how about Mandisa?

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 30, 2006 4:28:34 PM

16. So...how about Mandisa?

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 30, 2006 4:29:43 PM

17. Gee, Tom, it seems more important to you to attack McKinney than to say anything about the Supreme Court Justice who is reported on the same day to say Ba-fong-gool right after Communion and also to say -- on camera -- that since the framers of the Constitution didn't specifically write a right to homosexual conduct in the Constitution that year, there is no right and the sodomy laws should be reinstated so we can all go to jail.

Hmmm. I wonder, Tom, why you like Scalia so much...

Posted by: Brian NYC | Mar 30, 2006 4:37:59 PM

18. Pope Benedict - Pretty in Pink.

Posted by: bcarter | Mar 30, 2006 5:10:18 PM

19. I'm holding my judgment on Mandisa, although I have to tell you it looks bad. From the beginning of this year's season, I thought she and Chris would fight it out in the finals, but she'd best hold her tongue if she thinks that ex-gay crap is of any substance.

That said, how much does American Idol suck? It reels to mind that so many people watch. Hell, even I watch (albeit with Tivo so that I can skip all the chatter and product placement). I think it's success in the ratings has less to do with how good it is, and more to do with the utter and complete lack of anything else worth watching on Tuesday night.

Also, I watched Hedwig and the Angry Inch again last night (props to Logo, btw). How many folks agree that that movie is just brilliant? It's hard to make a movie musical that's watchable (e.g., Rent), but I've seen this one tons and it still amazes. Am I correct or am I just displaying my bad taste for all the world to see?

Posted by: Kyle Childress | Mar 30, 2006 5:26:30 PM

20. Scalia is a disgusting pig--he should marry Ann Coulter and be done with it.
    he thinks the constitution provides no protection for homosexuals as they "didn't exist" at the time:

and yeah, if Mandisa turns out to be a homo hater i'll be majorly f*cking upset! :-)

Posted by: gordon | Mar 30, 2006 5:28:00 PM

21. Vaffanculo -- to bland, prudish, gimmickry -- Vaffanculo

Posted by: ricardo | Mar 30, 2006 7:16:14 PM

22. >>‘To my critics, I say, ‘Vaffanculo,’ ' punctuating the comment by flicking his right hand out from under his chin

How refresingly honest! I'm so tired of people being polite when they don't mean it.

Scalia has a job for life. It doesn't matter what people think of him, and he knows it. I swear to God I'd do the same thing in his position. I'd tell everybody to kiss my ass.

That's real freedom!

Posted by: Jay Croce | Mar 30, 2006 7:25:45 PM

23. Benny looks like he needing a B-12 shot.

Posted by: A.J. | Mar 30, 2006 7:33:23 PM

24. I've got it. The Pope looks like Gargamel.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Mar 30, 2006 7:37:52 PM

25. You can't be suprised by Mandisa. Her "if Jesus can forgive his enemies as he died on the cross for their sins then I can forgive you Simon" speech in the last Idol auditions clearly identified her as a god freak. God freaks think homosexuals need to be prayed for in particular. What a shocker.

Posted by: Chad Hanging | Mar 30, 2006 7:53:55 PM