Books | Education | Massachusetts

King & King: Once Upon a Time in Massachusetts

KingkingAnother gay-themed children's book is under the microscope at a Massachusetts school. King & King, which features a prince marrying another prince rather than a princess and kissing at the end, was read to a classroom and parents weren't told about it in advance. That made some of them angry. Said one parent: ''My son is only 7 years old. By presenting this kind of issue at such a young age, they're trying to indoctrinate our children. They're intentionally presenting this as a norm, and it's not a value that our family supports."

Unfortunately for the parent, it's a value that the state supports. Said school superintendent Paul Ash: ''We couldn't run a public school system if every parent who feels some topic is objectionable to them for moral or religious reasons decides their child should be removed. Lexington is committed to teaching children about the world they live in, and in Massachusetts same-sex marriage is legal."

Parents rip school over gay storybook [boston globe]

Comments

1. Note to self: Add "King and King" to Amazon Wish list.

Posted by: Kevin | Apr 20, 2006 10:44:58 AM

2. The superintendent is white. You may not have supported Nazi Germany in WWII, but it still gets taught, douchebags.

So many people have a severe inability to realize their mind set is not the end all and be all on planet fucking earth.

Posted by: Seangstm | Apr 20, 2006 11:13:51 AM

3. HAHA! That should have read 'right' not 'white' - apologies.

Posted by: Seangstm | Apr 20, 2006 11:14:46 AM

4. Great comeback from the superintendent.

Posted by: Tom K. | Apr 20, 2006 11:50:30 AM

5. I love this book and part two where they adopt a child is just as good.

Posted by: Donald | Apr 20, 2006 12:34:47 PM

6. That's the same book they tried to ban in Oklahoma public libraries.

Posted by: Paul | Apr 20, 2006 1:47:03 PM

7. I'm waiting for the sequel - Decorating the Castle.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Apr 20, 2006 1:53:44 PM

8. They should keep those good old values of bestiality where everyone goes around kissing frogs.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 20, 2006 4:38:10 PM

9. I saw that on the news this morning here in RI. Needless to say, that woman better get use to it. Children are taught to hate so young.

Posted by: Rob (lrdarystar) | Apr 20, 2006 6:09:03 PM

10. yeah, so now in oklahoma thanks to the wife of a baptist preacher whom also has the pleasure of being in the state house, king and king as well as someother books are in 'special' adult section.

compared to that, what happened in mass just makes me yawn.

Posted by: andrew in oklahoma | Apr 20, 2006 11:27:09 PM

11. oh dear god. This book will make our children gay. May the lord ablahblahblah forgive us amen.

Posted by: Chad Hanging | Apr 20, 2006 11:46:41 PM

12. I'm a gay father who lives in MA... my kids brought this home from school one day and we all thought it was cute. but I think actually teaching it in school is a bit much right now. Too much, too soon and it plays into the hands of those who think there's a big gay agenda to recruit the young. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by: Liam | Apr 21, 2006 7:07:07 AM

13. My son, now 17, asked me this question when he was almost 4;

"Do daddies sometimes marry other daddies and mommies sometimes marry other mommies like mommies marry daddies?"

And in Lexington they say second grade is too young?

I prefer to teach my son about the value of love--- whichever form it's in and whatever form that a loving family takes.

Posted by: Dawn Kelly | Apr 21, 2006 3:02:51 PM

14. Kudos to the state of Massachusetts and to the Lexington school board. It is about friggin' time that people get out of their preconceived notion of what's "normal" and "natural" and realize that two same-sex persons can also be just as in love. If it weren't so damn cold up there in the winters, I would love to move up there. BTW, I'm in Austin, Texas.

Posted by: Jim Chote | Apr 30, 2006 4:50:08 PM