Gay Quotes | Mark Wahlberg

Mark Wahlberg: "Acceptance is the Key"

Mark_wahlberg_markyThe source of this quote is unclear, but Mark Wahlberg's gay uncle taught him tolerance of homosexuality according to a report by Contact Music: "My uncle was gay and he was a teamster and a truck driver and he was a guy's guy, but he kept this secret his whole life. Imagine how hard that must have been for him. I feel so bad. Every time my dad brings it up, he cries because he loves his brother more than anything. He doesn't care what it was. He was born that way. Acceptance is the key. The only way you're gonna succeed in life and really grow as a human being is through acceptance."

Comments

1. Mark Wahlberg was on CNBC's "The Big Idea" with Donny Duetsch the night before last, he talked about his prosthetic dick from Boogie Nights, and how after the movie guys would follow him into the bathroom to try and see his dick, and he talked about his gay fans and those underwear ads. If you can find the clip you should post it.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 21, 2006 11:10:02 AM

2. Yes Baby!

Come to Mama!

~

Posted by: Gilli | Apr 21, 2006 11:23:49 AM

3. Acceptance, to be sure. Of course, building a huge modeling career by playing to a largely gay following without acknowledging same don't hurt, either.

Posted by: Jacko | Apr 21, 2006 11:27:15 AM

4. Mark Wahlbert, meet Tyler Chase Harper.
    Please.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 21, 2006 11:40:00 AM

5. I don't know, Jacko.

When Marky and the Funky Bunch stopped by Bump! one Sunday in the mid 90s to perform a few songs in front of 3,000 screaming queens, I felt ever so slightly acknowledged.

Of course, Mark did neglect to drop trou, which he had become notorious for doing over the course of their tour that year, but...you can't have everything.

Posted by: 24play | Apr 21, 2006 11:52:56 AM

6. Given the sensitive statement it would have been nice to post a current photo of him.

Posted by: Mike p | Apr 21, 2006 12:03:20 PM

7. But posting a current photo would imply that people have worth other than their looks. As gay men, we should know better than to think that.

Posted by: Scott | Apr 21, 2006 1:00:34 PM

8. Scott--- Right ON!

Posted by: John | Apr 21, 2006 1:18:44 PM

9. Love it!

Posted by: StarrFucker | Apr 21, 2006 1:25:11 PM

10. Back in the day when he was Marky Mark, he gave me a long, hard stare at the Gold's gym on Waikiki Beach. I thought, am I being cruised? I wonder what he was thinking. Maybe he liked my shoes?

Posted by: Jordy | Apr 21, 2006 1:27:54 PM

11. Jordy... are you were'nt standing on his toe ?

Posted by: Mike p | Apr 21, 2006 1:34:25 PM

12. Jordy, if you were staring at him long enough to know he was staring at you, then maybe he was just wondering why some guy was cruising HIM...

Posted by: Wayne | Apr 21, 2006 1:34:56 PM

13. Jordy... are you sure you were'nt stepping on his toe ?

Posted by: Mike p | Apr 21, 2006 1:35:15 PM

14. Jordy... are you sure you were'nt stepping on his toe ?

Posted by: Mike p | Apr 21, 2006 1:35:21 PM

15. Those who want a current pic need to get their panties out of a bunch. Who the hell cares! There's nothing wrong with a reminder of past hotness.

Posted by: david | Apr 21, 2006 2:10:46 PM

16. Jordy: Pictures, now! If Mr. Wahlberg was staring at you (and not the mirror to your left) than I want to have your photo for my collection.

Wasn't Mr. Wahlberg, at one point, on the Advocate's hall of shame for some pretty homophobic comments that he later retracted?

Posted by: JT | Apr 21, 2006 2:24:30 PM

17. As mentioned earlier... a current photo would have been more appropriate to go along with the story. Mark Wahlberg has earned that through the body of his work over the past 15 years....and he's just as sexy today as he was then...but as a mature and talented actor. This photo made me cringe before I even read the article, not because of the beefcake, just because it is so dated, but reading his thoughtful and sensitive words in regards to homosexuality...the photo choice puzzled me.

Posted by: Patrick | Apr 21, 2006 4:34:18 PM

18. You are bitching about the picture! Oh for chrissake it is beyond me how nothing can go with out some petty complaint. Let go, life is much easier when not everything is bad. It is just a bloody photo.

Posted by: Donald | Apr 21, 2006 5:02:59 PM

19. How about the picture of Marky Mark from Boogie Nights with the GIANT penis? That would be more recent than grabbing his crotch.

Posted by: Ozzie | Apr 21, 2006 7:14:00 PM

20. If he really loved he would've decked Eminem when they met on MTV.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Apr 21, 2006 9:08:32 PM

21. Oh My God.... that man does it for me every time....
    And he isnt some vacuous semi 'celebrity' spouting nonsense either... he is making a really good, touching and human story based on his real, and somewhat gritty life.
    Now... to me, that is what I call a real star.
    I would still give him wicked head though ~~ ;-)

Posted by: Philip | Apr 21, 2006 9:22:55 PM

22. Acceptance is the Key............Page 416 Big Book Alcoholics Anonymous. " Acceptance proved to be the key to my drinking problem." Page 417 " And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation- some fact of my life-unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment" Is Marky Mark a Friend of Bill?

Posted by: Stephen | Apr 21, 2006 11:11:53 PM

23. I totally believe that was a true story, based on everything I've heard and read about Mark over the years.

Mark grew up as a street kid, and he had that "rough trade" hustler image in the beginning. He made a few anti-gay remarks, but nothing out of character. I've always considered him a Gay Hustler turned Pop Star, and now Movie Star. I'd be very surprised, shocked in fact, to find out that he'd never had sex with another man.

I don't mean to label him Gay, but that Kinsey Scale covers a lot of territory.

Posted by: Jay Croce | Apr 21, 2006 11:12:47 PM

24. Jordy, if you were staring at him long enough to know he was staring at you, then maybe he was just wondering why some guy was cruising HIM...
    ***************************************
    haha
    No way, I was very shy & innocent back then and had not mastered the art of cruising. He was also with two huge bodyguards, they scared me...

Posted by: Jordy | Apr 22, 2006 12:50:25 AM

25. If any of the guys posting comments to this article saw Mark on "Inside the Actors Studio" you would realize that the person he has evolved to be is so much greater, worldly and tolerant than his days as Marky Mark. Mark reveals how he transformed from a street gang punk to the Hollywood "A" list. And he relates how he goes back to his neighborhood to empower those he left behind to improve their lives. He was quite emotional during this part of the interview. It will run again on Bravo. I found it to be a very moving experience.

Posted by: Johnny Lane | Apr 22, 2006 1:31:17 PM