Russ Feingold And Arlen Specter in Heated Exchange

FeingoldWhen a meeting regarding a “mark-up” to the proposed Constitutional Amendment to ban gay marriage was today moved from a public Senate room to a restricted access room (the “President’s Room”) inside the U.S. Capitol, Russ Feingold objected to the move and had a heated exchange with Arlen Specter, the Senate Judiciary Committee’s chairman.

This is what reportedly happened, according to the Associated Press, after Feingold, upset at the change to a restricted venue, “declared his opposition to the amendment, his affinity for the Constitution and his intention to leave the meeting.”

“I don’t need to be lectured by you. You are no more a protector of the Constitution than am I,” Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa., shouted after Sen. Russ Feingold declared his opposition to the amendment, his affinity for the Constitution and his intention to leave the meeting.

“If you want to leave, good riddance,” Specter finished.

“I’ve enjoyed your lecture, too, Mr. Chairman,” replied Feingold, D-Wis., who is considering a run for president in 2008. “See ya.”

Specter has said he is “totally opposed” to the amendment, and “later said he would have been willing to hold the session in the usual room had he thought doing so would change votes.” Bill Frist has scheduled a vote on the proposed amendment for the week of June 5.

Feingold, Specter Clash Over Gay Marriage [ap]
Sen Feingold walks out as Marriage Amendment Hearing moved [pageoneq]

Previously
Feingold Comes Out for Gay Marriage [tr]

Comments

1. Brian says

Not so excited about the “see ya” comment… but I love the fact that my senator is the only one to stand up and state, unequivocally, that this amendment is wrong. Go Russ!

2. brian nyc says

Once again, shows you there are no “moderate” Republikkkans…only the fundamentalists and racists…and the rich “moralist” Rethugs who stand by while gays are demonized.

Name me one Rethuglican who has fought tooth and nail against this…you can’t. Mary Cheney, paid millions of dollars at a time to spread self-hate. Perfect picture of a paid-off Rethuglican.

3. 24play says

Can’t help but wonder:

If Jeremy Bloom were in the room at the time, would he have had a jersey for Specter or Feingold or both?

Come to think of it, what would Brian Boitano do?

4. Derrick from Philly says

Russ Feingold is the only Democratic presidential candidate I truly support,and I will vote for him in the primaries. But by the time we get to the Pennsylvania primary, I guess Miss Centrist from New York will have the nomination sowed up. But all I really care about is appointments to the federal judiciary. Her husband didn’t fuck that up so maybe she wouldn’t either.

5. says

Feingold for President. And that’s not just because I’m from Wisconsin.

…Incidentally, Arlen Specter is a Republican. That’s kind of an important mistake.

6. Greg says

“You are no more a protector of the Constitution than am I.”

That is a scary Fu*king sentence from the Judiciary Committee Chairman…

7. Dave says

Feingold for president! Spector was angry because Feingold exposed Arlen’s refusal to stand up for the Constitution and against Bush on spying and on marriage.

8. hadassah weinreb says

Oh hell, Arlen gets away w all sorts of crap because he invented the Single Bullit Theory that whitewashed the JFK murder. Being the senator-en-perpetua from Pa. is the payback.

9. says

Don’t speak too quickly. This is definitely great of Feingold, but I’ve always felt that he was nothing but a Republican in a Democrat’s clothing. He can be a real snake at times. Hmmm…maybe he would make a good President.