Fashion Men | Marc Jacobs | Relationships

From the Department of Regrettable Tattoos...

Marc_jacobs

...comes news of a split between fashion designer Marc Jacobs and his boyfriend Jason Preston. Jacobs: "I wanted things to be a certain way, and it's just not working. I wanted him to be there when I wanted him to be there. I have to be in bed at 11:30 and he's 25 and wants to go to clubs every night. . . . I adore him. But do I want to control him? No."

Comments

1. Shocker.

"Hello? Mount Sinai Hospital? Yeah, can you connect me with the emergency cosmetic laser procedure department please? Hello? Hello??"

Posted by: Brian | Jun 14, 2006 1:11:37 PM

2. "I wanted him to be there when I wanted him to be there."

Isn't that precisely why one goes on rentboy.com in the first place?

Posted by: MP | Jun 14, 2006 1:14:24 PM

3. Jason Preston is a complete idiot. He wanted the "Marc Jacobs" glamour life, only to find out that Marc goes to bed early like the rest of us normal people. Jason needs to grow up and get a job.

Posted by: Ian | Jun 14, 2006 1:31:06 PM

4. He could always add the word "sucks" to the end of the tattoo...

I am so not into body modification. It's just totally pointless. Senseless. I see people with tats or piercings all over their bodies and I think... what a waste. Then this idiot puts his BOTM's name on his arm? (Boyfriend of the moment) This is just not someone who's elevator goes to the top floor.

Posted by: Rad | Jun 14, 2006 1:36:42 PM

5. This is such a common problem. I have a friend who repeatedly falls into this pattern with predictable results. He is 34-year-old, highly successful man, attracted to somewhat younger, unsuccessful man, often ones that are rough around the edges. He buys them lots of stuff, but it comes with a catch. He wants to re-make them. They get tired of the collar around their necks after a few months

Posted by: Tim | Jun 14, 2006 1:39:23 PM

6. Musto reports in an update to the original item that the two are "back together" (per Jason Preston). I guess the tat stays.

Posted by: MP | Jun 14, 2006 1:41:06 PM

7. Stop the press!

Latest from La Musto:

"(Update: Hold everything! The tattoo stays! Preston just told me they're back together!)"

All's well in LV Land!

Posted by: honey child | Jun 14, 2006 1:55:15 PM

8. RAD, no need to get down on body modifiaction. To each his own. It's all about self expression, all-be-it some can get carried away. What's the big deal? But this boy is just an idiot and really the whole thing is just funny. Gay boys doing stupid shit like this gives me the giggles. I'm all about seeing what the next youth culture moron will do next. It's kind of exciting and a bit discouraging at the same time.

Posted by: Ric | Jun 14, 2006 2:01:35 PM

9. This guy is the gay hooker version of Kevin Federline...how insecure is Marc Jacobs anyway?!?!?

Posted by: Boomer | Jun 14, 2006 2:34:02 PM

10. one word: idiot

it applies to both of them, however.

Posted by: peterparker | Jun 14, 2006 2:37:30 PM

11. Oh yeah and one more picky little thing....After reading his Friendster profile...and maybe I am just a middle age white male BUT...hey dude...you are a white male...not a Rapper...and certainly not a teenage Black or Latina girl. Learn to speak and write.

Posted by: Boomer | Jun 14, 2006 2:40:57 PM

12. I guess Jason Preston just found out the cost of maintaining the lifestyle to which he had become accustomed...with but one skill and no education.

Maybe an 11:45 pm curfew on week nights can be negotiated after all?

Posted by: Krishnan | Jun 14, 2006 3:40:38 PM

13. RIC, I agree, it is rather funny to see what the next gay moron fad will be. Kinda like when "Boy meets Boy" was on, and that hideous "Ed Grimley" (greazy point of hair down the center of the head) hair style suddenly became all the rage. Or the "Just Jack!" hair (buzz cut with that upward poof in the front) adorned by most practically every male over the past 5 or so years. Much like A & F clothing on anyone over 20.

Posted by: Rad | Jun 14, 2006 3:45:04 PM

14. It's funny, I use to be this young, attractive guy that had all the "older" guys running after me. Even then I couldn't understand why a 40 year old would want to date me, except for my physical attributes. Now, as I enter my 40th year, I thank God I took the hard, long road. I own my lifestyle, my views of the world and my ass!

To all the young ones out there who sometimes think it would be easier to let a sugar daddy take care of you, there will always be a price to pay. Unfortunately, it sometimes comes later in life when looks are gone.

Do the work that will create the life you can OWN.

Posted by: Bart | Jun 14, 2006 3:59:42 PM

15. Uh-huh. Not good. They'll break -up to get back together, they'll break-up, they'll get back together... I'm getting dizzy...

Posted by: xavier | Jun 14, 2006 4:01:22 PM

16. Rad (and anyone else)-

Don't get me started on the whole A&F thing. Did you ever see that article about the CEO? http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2006/01/24/jeffries/index_np.html I have never come across a more disgustingly nasty looking guy who is desperate to be something he will never be: Young, hot and included (based on pure merit).

It represents everything that is wrong in the gay community.

Posted by: Sam | Jun 14, 2006 4:04:18 PM

17. I'm curious, how many guys on this thread know guys who are in long-term relationships (that are not open)?

It seems impossible for gay men to have a truly committed relationship, at any age? Atleast in a big city like New York.

Would be great to find one sexy, well-built, attractive (by anyone's standards) guy to build a life with (minus all the extra-circular bullshit). I'm taking applications.

Posted by: Steven | Jun 14, 2006 4:09:23 PM

18. Long term committed relationships aren't necessarily completely monogamous, Steven. The "open relationship" thing means very different things to different couples, and it isn't for everyone. But for lots of people, it takes away one of the stickiest points of contention and sustains a relationship based on love, trust, friendship, and intimacy. Being gay allows us to create and maintain relationship paradigms that are tailored to our own needs and desires, free from the baggage that straight people have heaped on the institution of marriage over the centuries. So while monogamy might be your cup of tea (and there's nothing at all wrong with that), let's also mention that other relationship constructs can be just as valid and fulfilling as long as they are mutually agreed upon. That said, I would think that straight people (male and female) have just as much difficulty finding committed, *honestly* monogamous, sexy, well-built, attractive-by-anyone's-standards relationship partners. So don't let it bring you down.

Posted by: Brian | Jun 14, 2006 4:22:33 PM

19. Something has been bothering for awhile. There's a double standard that's reflected in comments like this:

"You are a white male...not a Rapper..." or even comments about Kevin Federline's hip hop dress style that make me wonder about the underlying racial expectations. "White men" shouldn't act "black." In the African-American and Latino communities there are questions about "authenticity." What does it mean to be "black" or "Latino" in America? Does one have to speak, dress, or act a certain way? Most educated people think not.

When criticizing Caucasians for dressing or speaking "black," is this derision for taking on characteristics of a despised underclass or is it a rebuke for "stealing" someone else's culture? Most times it seems like first.

Don't get me wrong, grown men should be able to converse and write with intelligence. And, there is also the possibility of someone adopting the language of other cultures out of ignorance or condescension (like someone who normally doesn't talk a certain way but affects a persona when around people of another culture because they think it's cool but come off as poseur), but isn't there also the possibility that a "white" person who talks "black" does so because that is his cultural reference point--like having grown up in a predominately African-American environment?

Maybe Jason Preston is just an immature ass but I think Kevin Federline, a former hip hop dancer, in his dress and language reflects who he is (which doesn't say anything about his character good or bad).

Posted by: bart | Jun 14, 2006 4:37:00 PM

20. Brian-

Well stated. I appreciate your honest (and clear) answer.

Steven

Posted by: Steven | Jun 14, 2006 5:12:15 PM

21. Bart, thanks for that eloquent response to the nonsense "Boomer" had written. I was beginning to wonder how come no one had called him out on that garbage.

Posted by: Dave | Jun 14, 2006 9:07:46 PM

22. Note that Marc has no Jason Preston tattoos. So who's the fool now?

Posted by: robtj | Jun 14, 2006 10:30:41 PM

23. and another thing... not intending to be rude steven, but the fact you have to mention well-built in your list of requirements probably answers your implied question about monogamy. And Brian, while I agree that there's more to life than monogamy, don't you think that this may explain why some people don't take gay marriage seriously. After all, it could be argued that one of the gay relationship paradigms you describe is closer to friendship than anything else.

Posted by: robtj | Jun 15, 2006 1:51:41 AM

24. Too Funny.

I hate tattoos of peoples names almost as much as I hate men who approach me with the " how much?"
    vibe.

God forbid that a guy under 30, whose in shape, handsome, and personable, would want to find love or compatibility with a guy regardless of his financial statement.

Oh yeah, to the guy who was doggin ole dude for not "speaking white":

Hip Hop is the predominate culture of American youth right now. THE YOUTH like to imitate the stars of the Hip Hop generation who in turn imitate and emulate the behavior of Ex-cons, rough living, and over all hopelessness combated through monetary gain.

None of the SUCCESSFUL hip hop artists are anything like that, and in fact- are jsut faking the funk. Many of today's rappers and rap moguls grew up in gated communities or the suburbs of the very metropolises that house the ghettoes that they claim.

i.e. MOST BLACK PEOPLE DO NOT WRITE OR SPEAK IN THE MANNER OF WHICH MOST TEENAGED NET DWELLERS CHOOSE TO CONVEY THEIR THOUGHTS VIA HIP-HOP INFLUENCED TEXT.

thnx