Andy Lau | Film | Hong Kong | I'm Not Gay

Hong Kong Superstar Andy Lau: "I'm Not Gay"

Andy_lauAndy Lau, a popular singer and the star of over 100 films in Asia, has told a Hong Kong media outlet that he's not gay, although he describes his relationship with gay fans as "very direct."

Said Lau: "I'm not, but if you say I am, I don't think it's a bad thing. Maybe my attitude has caused misunderstanding. I've never pronounced loudly I'm not gay, and I don't think there's the need to do so. I have gays friends."

Though he's not well-known in America, he has had the opportunity to star in Hollywood pictures. Lau once turned down the lead role in the film M. Butterfly because he says he found a scene offensive: "I asked the director if he could change that scene. I said I'm a superstar in Asia. This movie factors in the Asian market too. If I do that, it will affect my image.''

Some things never change.

Related
Ang Lee Gets Hero's Welcome [tr]

Comments

1. Ummm, maybe THAT's why the guy is a superstar in Asia, because he knows how to market himself to that market.

Take a look at the first Transporter movie. Every actor in that movie is a superstar in a different maket. I think the lead actress is only known in Asia and she doesn't seem to actually speak English.

If you are going to USE an actor in your movie because he can deliver a certain market for your idiot movie, the least you could do is to consider the fact that that person knows more about his market than you do.

Btw, wasn't BD Wong in M Butterfly? What audience did BD Wong deliver? After he held up the Miss Saigon production because he wanted to star in it, is there anybody BD Wong hasn't pissed off?

Posted by: Peter Everhard | Jun 26, 2006 4:50:56 PM

2. around asia, it's an open secret that he is married to a woman. not every superstar is gay, andy

Posted by: jack | Jun 26, 2006 5:33:38 PM

3. Uh, aren't you assuming a lot about the concerns that Lau had with the role in M. Butterfly? M. Butterfly was a flop. So, I don't think that Lau was wrong to have concerns for the role. How many people actually remember the movie?

Posted by: noah | Jun 26, 2006 5:39:10 PM

4. oops, just to clarify....asian fans(i.e teenage girls) is rabid about their idols, they wouldnt allow their superstars to get married period, man, woman etc...hence, andy is hiding something, just not what u think

Posted by: jack | Jun 26, 2006 5:51:00 PM

5. I read the magazine. The scene that he described is actually an essential scene in the movie. His refusing to do it shows that he is more of a movie star than a true actor. In most of his movies, it seems that he is more concern that "he has to look good, he has to look like a star" instead of how to dive into character.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 27, 2006 12:44:59 AM

6. My only problem here is that it's NEVER a good thing when someone has to go public with the fact that they are NOT gay...

Posted by: Wayne | Jun 27, 2006 8:24:11 AM

7. Oh puh-leeeze, girlfriend has been denying it for DECADES, but the rumour is still rife and alive, so go figure.

And that alleged "wife" that he's supposed to be secretly "married" to? No one has EVER seen them together; "wifey" is even more elusive than Suri Cruise!

Posted by: honey child | Jun 27, 2006 1:28:05 PM

8. I think the open secret is his Taiwanese boyfriend.

Posted by: Andrew | Jan 1, 2007 9:22:26 PM