Fred Phelps | News Clips | Shirley Phelps-Roper

Aussie Reporter Flirts with the Phelps Clan

Via Gayer Mechanic Wales comes this priceless clip of an Australian Reporter hitting on Fred Phelps, Jr. and conversing with various members of the Westboro Baptist Church.

The real fun starts when other members of the clan get involved, especially the red-haired chick who screeches, "You're a pervert, you're a fag ass pervert." Didn't her mother tell her it's not polite to point?

And did I hear incorrectly, or did she also say, "Snap off!"

Video: Ausralian Reporter Hits on Fred Phelps, Jr. [gayer mechanic wales]

You may have missed...
You Wanna Preach, Let's Preach [tr]
ACLU Defends Fred Phelps and Westboro Baptist [tr]

Comments

1. That is funny!

Posted by: James | Jul 26, 2006 9:11:36 AM

2. Awesome clip! I heard "Step off!" though.

Posted by: RSL | Jul 26, 2006 9:41:00 AM

3. Interesting that the accosted man, when confronted with 'the enemy,' ran to be protected by his bully wife, then sulked with his tail between his legs afterward. In fact, most of the mean-spirited jeering and name-calling in the video came from the women of the group. I don't think this gender divide necessarily translates to all groups of homophobic kooks...but I've always wondered about the role of women in these protests. I am pretty sure most of them don't feel as threatened by lesbianism as some het guys do by guy-on-guy anal sex...in fact most of the women must be pretty comfortable in their femininity, since they're obviously not aiming to win any Miss America pageants. Hey Concerned Women for America, what inspires homely heteresexual housewives to become so hatefully militarized by homosexuality?

Posted by: GBM | Jul 26, 2006 9:49:07 AM

4. GBM, what an interesting observation! Only after reading it, did it dawn on me that the WOMEN in those circumstances are the power brokers! I was engaged to a woman once that told me "If you ever tell me you are gay, I will kill myself". I eventually did, and she didn't, but that... underlying fear during the relationship, the control she held over me. Wow! GBM, on the marker! It's the Phelps WOMEN who are controlling that enclave! I presume, as with most mothers of gay sons, they "knew", and are escalating this hostitility as a way to keep the men in line.

Posted by: Rad | Jul 26, 2006 11:22:55 AM

5. It looks like Phelps has something of a sense of humor after all, but not his "women". What would they have said if the "reporter" admitted he was joking?

Posted by: Anon | Jul 26, 2006 11:50:07 AM

6. Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!

EVERYONE should do that to the Phelps Clan. Lesbians go after the women! Gay men go after the males!! Shower them with unwanted gay lust! They'll either have convert or have strokes and die. either way we win!

Posted by: Will | Jul 26, 2006 2:17:50 PM

7. LMAO hahahahahahaha That made my day =)

Posted by: Cory | Jul 26, 2006 3:50:29 PM

8. THAT was the highlight of my workday! Love the daring reporter! Funny.

Posted by: marcinho | Jul 26, 2006 5:36:43 PM

9. I will crack open some Champagne when that miserable bigot dies...and I hope it's a miserable death too. Satan has a special place in Hell for him.

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Jul 27, 2006 7:05:25 PM

10. That was a satirical piece by an Australian TV (ABC) comedy show called the Chaser's War on Everything

Posted by: Reader | Jul 28, 2006 12:12:13 AM

11. If you don't know the entire childhood history of the Phelps family, here it is:

Posted by: casual reader | Jul 28, 2006 10:23:31 AM

12. Its true, sometimes the best way to react to hateful people is to fail to play the game. Don't respond with hate, respond with pity, as best expressed with humour!

There's just no cool way for a guy demonstrating against gays to be told that his ass is hot, which I'm sure it wasn't.

The reporter totally gets the upper hand, and I'm sorry, but being told that he's a "fag ass pervert" just makes the woman calling him that seem more hopelessly childish than I have words to express.

Clearly, she's wearing the pants in that relationship. Secretly, I think Phelps liked the compliments about his body, as I doubt he receives them from his wife.

Posted by: Peter | Jul 29, 2006 1:01:44 AM