Iraq | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Iraq Conflict Longer than U.S. Involvement in WWII

Bush_iraq

The Nation: "The war in Iraq has lasted three days longer than US involvement in World War II...We've been in Iraq one thousand, two hundred and forty-seven days---and still the Administration has no exit strategy, no plan for victory and no clue what it is doing."

Watch the video of today's White House press conference...

Bush: "The strategy is to help the Iraqi people achieve the objectives and dreams which is a democratic society. That’s the strategy. The tactics — now — either you say yes it’s important we stay there and get it done or we leave. We’re not leaving so long as I’m the president. That would be a huge mistake. It would send an unbelievably you know terrible signal to reformers across the region. It would say we’ve abandoned our desire to change the conditions that create terror."

Meanwhile, other Republicans have differing opinions:

Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE): "The Iraqi people have already made some decisions here. We, in fact, are in probably a low-grade — maybe a very defined — civil war. You’ve got corruption. Everywhere. As bad as it’s ever been. You’ve got uncontrollables that we can’t control. We can’t deal with. Iran probably has more influence in Iraq than we do at this point."

Bush also said today that Iraq had "nothing" to do with 9/11, though in the weeks leading up to the war that was not necessarily the case.

Democracy is on the march!

(screencap via wonkette)

Comments

1. "...uncontrollables that we can't control..."? Huh?

Posted by: JT | Aug 21, 2006 12:56:32 PM

2. Watched the idiot hold his press conference this morning. Is it humanly possible for a person to become more stupid as time progresses? Because I really think Bush has lost some IQ points since stealing the White House.

We have now been living in the Twilight Zone for six years!

Posted by: ho4mo | Aug 21, 2006 1:13:41 PM

3. Even the conservatives are calling him and idiot now, we were just ahead of the curve. I can't wait until we send this ass wipe back to Crawford.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Aug 21, 2006 1:26:02 PM

4. It’s amazing that America was able to conquer Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan in less time than its taken to create the fiasco in Iraq.

Posted by: ie | Aug 21, 2006 1:29:41 PM

5. per 2 members of the 9/11 comission who have just written a book detailing many thinsg about the 9/11 comission..........

The arab world does NOT hate us because of our freedom and democracy. They hate us for our unbalanced support of sirael to the tune of $3 billion american tax payers' dollars a year + bombs, rockets, and missles. The same bombs rockets and missles that israel used to kill about 900 lebanese 90%+civillians (women and children)

Bush just does not get it, nor does most of america. Till we do, we will be dealing with this crap for a very long time.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Aug 21, 2006 1:32:06 PM

6. Comparing WWII to the WoT, is apples and oranges. And the "exit strategy" for WWII was crushing the "nations" of Germany and Japan into dust; regardless of the number of German or Japanese casualities...or for that matter even of our "aliies". The WoT has a self-imposed requirement for a level of "finesse"; primarily driven by our selfish need to be able to sleep at night. Our "opponents" in the WoT share a morality that would make a fervent Nazi have second-thoughts and many a restless night. The Islamofascist sleeps-soundly in the embrace of Allah the Merciful regardless of the blood, the terror, or the moral-lawlessness of his acts.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Aug 21, 2006 1:50:15 PM

7. ted

how do you war on a tactic?

A tactic that has been utilized by mankind!!!!! all of humanity since the dawn of time

especialy when not 1 iraqi was part of 9/11....15 of the 19 hijackers were saudis and not 1 iraqi, Osama is running around free, etc etc etc

free yourself from the cult

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Aug 21, 2006 1:56:37 PM

8. Impeach the bastard, already.

Posted by: Rad | Aug 21, 2006 2:08:52 PM

9. Ted, I see you're still sitting here behind your keyboard.

Why don't you go take that fight to the Islamofascists?

Posted by: Tread | Aug 21, 2006 2:32:10 PM

10. I'll have to take Think Progresses word on his answer regarding 9/11 and Iraq because I simply cannot stand to watch him speak for any length of time.

i hope the Dems win the senate this fall, find their long-lost balls and Impeach this disgrace.

I know it's wishful thinking.

Posted by: Marco | Aug 21, 2006 2:39:38 PM

11. Bush is in way over his head. He has no plan, only slogans. He's just hoping to hang on until 2008 when Iraq becomes someone else's problem.

Posted by: Stevo | Aug 21, 2006 2:44:24 PM

12. Ted B: You're absolutely right! The WOT is a different ballgame than WWII. It's a war against amorphic, not politically recognized entities. WWII was a war against nations with politically recognized leaders...LIKE IRAQ!

Posted by: JT | Aug 21, 2006 2:49:25 PM

13. marco that would be great

But if the dems only take the house, a deffinite while the senate is not as mush a sure thing, then the house can call for trials/ investiogations.

The senate has the power to impeach, but the house can call for investigations, which if the american public is flooded with the zillions of criminal acts that bush and his cohorts have comitted, would drive the american public to push even their repub senators to impeach.

I would love both houses in dem hands, but I will be satisfied with a strong majority in the house (for now till 2008)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Aug 21, 2006 4:17:58 PM

14. Re: Tread, I'm already past the retirement-age for the military...and it was illegal for openly gay men to sign-up when I was of ROTC-age; with no easy DADT honorable-discahrge either. I thought about the military, but I'm wasn't about to volunteer to be a felon.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Aug 21, 2006 4:21:55 PM

15. Actually, it's the House that has the power to impeach, not the Senate.

Posted by: Chris in SF | Aug 21, 2006 4:25:57 PM

16. Ted B.: I did.

Posted by: JT | Aug 21, 2006 4:32:33 PM

17. to Tedb:

thanks.

Posted by: Marco | Aug 21, 2006 4:39:42 PM

18. no, chris

the house has the power to indict, the senate per the constitution has the power to impeach

impeach= remove from office

Think as the house as the prosecutors and the senate as the judge and jury

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Aug 21, 2006 5:24:56 PM

19. Ted, you’re right, comparing WWII to the WoT (as you refer to it) IS like comparing apples to oranges but NO MORE than comparing the War in Iraq to the WoT! The fact of the matter is the war in Iraq is a distraction FROM the WoT (Afghanistan) and could be more accurately referred to as The War that CREATED More Terror.

As for your yellow elephant excuse for why you never served in the military, I'm not buying it. I served in the USMC and reserves for 12 years (including a tour in Desert Storm), some before and some after DADT. I'm afraid the more accurate response to the question of why you didn’t serve in the military would be the same as MOST other yellow hawk patriots; in spite of your ad nauseam support for all things military and all things war, your ACTUAL support doesn’t stretch one inch past your keyboard. You are only willing to support this, and EVERY other war, as long as it doesn’t cause you ANY discomfort or inconvenience you in ANY way.

Few things, REALLY piss me off but you’ve pushed one of my buttons. Frankly, I have ZERO respect or tolerance for pro-war hawks who have never served a day in the military. We have far too many of them at the highest levels of our government (Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice etc.) and we have far too many of them playing cheerleader from behind their recording studio microphones (Toby Keith), TV cameras (O'Reilly, Kristol, Carlson etc.) and keyboards (You, Drudge, the Yellow Elephants over at GayPatriot etc., etc., etc.). The disastrous result is 2,600+ dead and thousands of permanently injured American kids plus hundreds of thousands of dead and injured Iraqis. All because of a few peoples’ egos and political strategy and their willingness to deceive the American people, and sacrifice so many lives, just to “accomplish” their shameful plan.

Here’s a newsflash for you and ALL the other chicken hawks: Getting the high score on “Mortal Combat” does not make you a combat veteran. Getting an X-Box Purple Heart, Bronze Star or Medal of Honor does NOT make you a hero. Supporting an unjust and illegal war that was waged with egos and lies does NOT make you a patriot and it does NOT take one ounce of courage.

I always try to be respectful and polite, however if you want to see me lose my religion just keep beating that war drum while giving p*ssy excuses as to why you were unable or unwilling to make the sacrifices for your country that you expect and demand of others.

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 21, 2006 5:33:39 PM

20. Being a non-veteran does not disqualify one as a citizen; at least not in this country....yet. You don't like it, go hump-yourself to Vensuela and it's comfy military-friendly dictatorship.

It was not my choice...it was the policy of the United States government; it was not an issue of a deferment, it was the law. I should have broken the law to protect the law? Perjured myself from day-one? Lied for my security-clearances? Served every day knowing I was an unindicted-felon?

It's easy to be critical now, but from the perspective of the mid-1970's there was no "honorable" course of action. By their own rules I was ineligible to serve....that's MY FAULT? Go grind your axe on someone who was eligible. I'm not buying any of your angst....

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Aug 21, 2006 6:37:48 PM

21. Ted,
    If there was a law that said you could not be homosexual and hold a job would you never work or try to earn a living? If a law is unjust it is our duty to disobey it. I think that would include joining the military and not telling then your sexuality if you feel so strongly about fighting in Iraq or elsewhere.

Posted by: blynn | Aug 21, 2006 7:27:30 PM

22. Ted is a troll, why are you people even giving him the time of day?

Posted by: Will | Aug 21, 2006 8:20:15 PM

23. In Ted's twisted world I (as a gay veteran) am a dirty felon while HE is a law abiding patriot.

This is the same Rovian world where Bush is a war hero and patriot while Kerry is a dishonorable, draft dodging, terrorist supporting, America hating coward; and lies are truths; and war is peace; and shame is honor; and fear is security; and up is down; and black is white…

Ted, I hope you have a hair color that goes with the yellow stripe down your back.

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 21, 2006 9:48:17 PM

24. “Charging Rhino”? HA! I missed that part earlier. That is friggin hilarious!

I picture Ted to be more like the doe eyed hippopotamus wearing a pink tutu and sportin' a polka dot bow in her hair; like the one pictured on my seven year old niece’s lunchbox.

"Charging Rhino". That's rich!

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 21, 2006 10:05:18 PM

25. Comparing WWI and the WoT? War is war and war is hell. In WWII we fought to give people independence from a dictator who was intent on extending his borders and used genocide. How is that different from Iraq? True in WWII our incentive was the fact that our own ancestry stemmed from Europe. In today’s war, we don't quite have that. The cynics say it’s for the oil. Yet today I paid $62.50 to fill up the tank on my truck.

The statement of this post is misleading in the first. Last time I checked, we still had Armed Forces in Japan, Korea, and Germany. American troops were still hunting down and fight Nazi’s ten years after Victory in Europe was declared. Does anyone actually still believe that the United States will completely remove each and every one of her troops from the country of Iraq? When I was there in ’04, we were building permanent barracks on old Iraqi military posts.

Ted, not serving because you are gay is a cop out. Many have served and many continue to do so. One of my good friends just retired this year, after 25 years in the service. My partner and I still serve.

Zeke, you an I may not always agree, but thank you for your service.

Posted by: Red | Aug 22, 2006 10:00:15 AM