Crime | Gay Pride | San Diego

BigGayDeal.com

Three "Lowlifes" in Custody for San Diego Gay Pride Attacks

CarrollJames Allen Carroll, a 24-year-old felon, was arrested last night at his San Diego apartment for the cowardly gay bashing that occurred following San Diego's Gay Pride festival over the weekend. A 16- and 17-year-old were also taken into custody yesterday with relation to the attack and police have asked for the juveniles to be charged as adults.

Tips from witnesses were able to lead police to Carroll's apartment, where they discovered evidence that linked him to the bashings. Witness accounts suggest that the attackers, who police say are involved with a group of approximately 50 members that call themselves the "Lowlifes" (no kidding).

Balboa_1Wearing a shirt with the slogan "Eracism", Carroll and the other attackers waited for their victims in bushes near the lawn bowling center just outside of Balboa Park, where they sprang upon them with a knife and baseball bat, yelling anti-gay slurs.

Said Councilwoman Toni Atkins: "Lying in wait in bushes, . . . nothing can get much lower."

One of the victims remains in the hospital with a fractured skull and has undergone a tracheotomy so he can breathe.

Ron deHarte, executive director of San Diego Pride, lauded the city's work in uncovering those behind the attacks: "We're extremely proud of the stand the mayor has taken and the position of the police chief. This was a brutal attack. These victims were going about their business and this attack was unprovoked. It was violent."

Arrests made in attacks on gay men [san diego union tribune]

Previously
Mayor: San Diego Attack the "Very Definition of Hate Crime." [tr]
San Diego Pride: Audience, Acceptance, Attacks [tr]

Comments

1. ok not to be a cliche, but doesn't this guy look gay to you??

Posted by: dc-20008 | Aug 2, 2006 8:52:54 AM

2. If by gay you mean stupid and inbred, then yes!

Posted by: GM | Aug 2, 2006 9:13:40 AM

3. Son of a BIT*C! Lowlife indeed.

Posted by: mikey d | Aug 2, 2006 9:17:26 AM

4. I hope they enjoy prison and daily gang rapes from their fellow inmates.

Posted by: Jonathon | Aug 2, 2006 9:19:35 AM

5. He looks like he looks; like some inbred punk with too much time on his hands and too much willingness to hate.

Posted by: Rad | Aug 2, 2006 9:25:36 AM

6. ERACISM is a movement to Erase Racism. Not quite sure why an animal like this would be wearing that shirt.

Posted by: Ian | Aug 2, 2006 9:40:16 AM

7. Because racism is considered bad all over the place, whereas homophobia is tolerated or even encouraged by some of the powerful.

Posted by: Ren B. | Aug 2, 2006 9:57:36 AM

8. I wonder if his support Eracism will be used to prove what a great guy he is, despite the fact he goes gaybashing for giggles.

Posted by: Ren B. | Aug 2, 2006 9:59:52 AM

9. "Eracism" is a play on the word "erase" in this case, as in "erase all the gays" or whomever. Someone's being very clever, if also very mean.

Posted by: Anon | Aug 2, 2006 10:08:15 AM

10. This goon couldn't give a hoot about erasing racism, or sexism, or anti-semitism, or penis envyism. This incident is just another example of the greatest issue facing gay communities all over this world: violence against gay, lesbian, and transgendered people.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 2, 2006 10:55:48 AM

11. I'm not a violent person, but I would LOVE to get him along with two other guys, a baseball bat and knives and show him what I feel about his kind. Maybe bash his face in until he needs a tube to breath and a fractures skull, maybe even show him what it feels like to go from a man to a woman...

Posted by: Cory | Aug 2, 2006 11:04:42 AM

12. This makes me SICK! Yeah, this guy looks like a big mary(aka Vin Diesel), and I hope he gets ripped a new one in prison, along with his twink bitches that helped him. I think its time for us gays to go straight bashing...straight to the skin heads and idiot over-conservative religious freaks!

Posted by: ATL Dave | Aug 2, 2006 11:09:17 AM

13. Amen. Stand ATL DAVE. I'll be right beside you...

Posted by: Cory | Aug 2, 2006 11:13:24 AM

14. I don't think sinking to this idiots level is the answer guys. Yes it would be nice to bash back but I agree he'll learn a lot more from his new roomies in prison.

We also have to look at what feeds and lets these guys get away with this shit. They are fed off the anti-gay retoric of most religions, the GOP and the lack of support from most spineless Democrats. Sen. Fiengold is one of our few vocal suporters on the national level, while the GOP has many who trash us to get elected and distract the nation away from real issues like the war, poverty, and health care.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Aug 2, 2006 11:22:06 AM

15. As a San Diegian I'd like to say how great it is to see the swift and aggresive behavior of the city government; mayor's office, D.A.'s office and the police/detectives. They have openly supported the gay community with their words and actions in this usually conservative city.

And as always, thank you Andy for your on-going coverage of this!

Posted by: Slate | Aug 2, 2006 12:02:23 PM

16. ATL Dave: My sentiments with you all the way EXCEPT when you called my Vin Diesel a "big mary". Hell, if Vin is what you call a "big mary", then I must be a big dyke...atleast I'd sure 'nough try it for Vin. I know he aint pretty, but I just love him.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 2, 2006 12:30:32 PM

17. We all know about the usual gay neighborhoods like West Hollywood and so on. I motion that Hillcrest be added to the list. Downtown SD is so full of energy, especially after the ballpark construction brought forth the gentrification of its East Village. Now if only they can do something about those real estate prices...

Posted by: RDiggy | Aug 2, 2006 12:41:20 PM

18. It takes a special kind of man to wait in the bushes, as a group, in order to jump out, in a surprise attack, and beat an unarmed man with a baseball bat; A special kind of man indeed.

At least they are honest in identifying themselves. It's one thing to be a C-owardly, B-igoted, L-owlife, T-hug, but it's another thing entirely to be guilty of false advertisement.

I guess "CBLT" was too close to GLBT for their comfort so they just went with "Lowlifes" for short.

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 2, 2006 1:47:45 PM

19. I have to say, I'm surprised and concerned about all the people on here that are endorsing, and joking about, prison rape.

First of all prison rape is not the answer to ANY crime, no matter how disgusting, and joking about it is shameful.

Second, and most importantly, the perpetrators of sexual and anti-gay violence in society most often become the PERPETRATORS of sexual violence and rape within the prison system.

The VICTIMS of what many here are endorsing and joking about are almost always the young, the weak, the gay and people charged with petty crimes. These petty criminals and young men often pay for their crimes with an AIDS infection. Their wives, girlfriends or boyfriends sometimes get to share in the price of their crime upon their release.

I certainly understand the revenge mentality directed at this self-proclaimed “lowlife” but please don't allow your anger and frustration to drag you down to HIS level by endorsing, even jokingly, the very kind of violence that you deplore.

My first concern is for this man’s rehabilitation. I hope he receives some sort of counseling and tolerance training. That is what will make a difference in his actions when he returns to society. And THAT is what is really important to me. I have never heard of a person who became sensitive to gay people or the gay rights struggle because of their experience of being raped in prison. If anything, it makes people even more anti-gay, blaming gays for their abuse when it was most likely straights that abused them.

If revenge is our goal, then rape is the answer. If rehab and changing society is our goal, then rape is part of the problem.

I for one choose positive change over revenge.

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 2, 2006 2:10:39 PM

20. Zeke -

I'm with you. Believe me, I'm just as tempted by revenge fantasies as the next guy but, in reality, violence only engenders more violence.

DC-20008's comment may be a cliche, but it's also probably true. A number of reputable scientific studies have established what we all intuitively suspect - namely, that homophobic men are most likely battling their own unacknowledged and/or unacceptable feelings of sexual attraction toward other men (google HOMOPHOBIA HOMOSEXUALITY "UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA" or go to http://www.oogachaga.com/downloads/homophobia_and_homosexual_arousal.pdf).

Ultimately, a more satisfying fantasy for the future of these gay-bashers, and for society as a whole, is that they gain some enlightenment. Anyone remember the story about the former basher and his victim meeting 24 years later when they were both working at the Museum of Tolerance? It's on Anderson Cooper's blog here:

Posted by: JOE 2 | Aug 2, 2006 3:58:37 PM

21. As usual, very well written points, Zeke.
    What you said about prison rape is very accurate. I can remember a few times hearing news reporters refer to prison sexual assaults as "gay prison rape" or "gay sex". Of course, there is no such thing. It's sexual violence whether hetero or homo, but it aint gay.
    Even though it's not funny, Zeke, many of us do have a desire for revenge. It fuels the jokes and the "hopes" that these guys will go to jail and be sexually violated, and assaulted, and punished, and humiliated, and scared for life, dammit! A half a year ago a young gay Philadelphian defending himself, stabbed one of six gay bashers, killing the seventeen year old attacker.
    Zeke, maybe I was wrong, but I felt good.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 2, 2006 4:12:43 PM

22. Joe2, the story of the victim and assailant who came together by chance and formed a friendship was the first thing that came to my mind when I read this article. I immediately hoped for these assailants’ education, revelation and redemption. Thanks for bringing that wonderful story to this discussion.

Derrick, I'm with ya brother. Trust me, I have the same feelings of revenge that everyone else does. We are all human and those feelings are normal. No one can should feel bad about having these feelings. However, the difference between civilized people and uncivilized people is not in the way they think or how they feel but in how they express their thoughts and how they act on their thoughts and feelings. Doing the thing that feels good is often not the thing that is in your, or society's, best interest. Doing the JUST thing, believe it or not, is not ALWAYS the BEST thing. Do rapists DESERVE to be raped themselves? I would say, as a matter of justice and revenge, Yes. Will raping them make them less likely to rape others and make them a better overall citizen upon their release? I’m certain the answer is No. It is much more likely that it will cause them to be even more angry and violent upon their release.

If punishment is intended to exact justice through revenge, then the American penal system has been an unqualified success. However, if punishment is intended to be a tool to correct bad behavior to improve civil society, then I would suggest that statistics prove that our system is a miserable failure.

As for the guy who stabbed his attacker to death in the heat of his attack. THAT I see as a clear example of self defense and instant justice. Though I don't take delight in a stupid 17 year old kid's death, the circumstances that resulted in his death penalty were a different animal altogether.

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 2, 2006 5:05:13 PM

23. I wonder if such attacks are more prevelant around the time of Gay Pride. The reason I'm thinking this is because of the type of media coverage we get during these celebrations. 15 - 20 seconds of drag queens, leather daddies, and very masculine women. So I wonder if this sparks this type of homophobia.

Posted by: Scot R | Aug 2, 2006 5:07:50 PM

24. "drag queens, leather daddies, and very masculine women."

I guess transgendered & "non-traditional looking" gay folks will always have to deal with being disliked by a lot of "mainstream" gay men...oh, and women too, I suppose. But that's all right, we can handle it--we always have.
    But Scot R, you still do believe that unprovoked anti-gay violence against any type of gay person is wrong, don't you?
    Why do I feel like I've said this before...over and over again?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Aug 2, 2006 5:59:19 PM

25. Derrick, I understand your frustration with the gender and expression phobias that are all too common within the GLBT community. We definitely have a lot of room for improvement in recognizing, understanding, accepting and celebrating our differences.

I could be totally wrong, but I didn't understand Scot R's comments to be a negative statement about drag queens and leather men. I simply took it as a reasonable question about what provokes these anti-gay attacks, which seem to be especially prevalent during Pride season.

It seems reasonable to me that bigots become even more violently active in the face of public displays of gay pride; which often include certain amounts of flamboyance, gender bending and overt displays of sexuality and fetishism. Some of the overtly sexual displays make me a little uncomfortable so I would assume that it’s enough to send anti-gay bigots over the edge. That is not a judgment on the Pride participants or their activities, or an attempt to in any way excuse or justify the acts of violence. It’s just an attempt to figure out how these punks think.

I would also assume that Pride events provide gay bashers with a mother load of opportunities. It's like the hyenas that follow herds of wildebeests. The bigger the herd and the more individuals that wander from the herd, the better the chance that they will be able to pick off a victim. Unfortunately, this seems to be exactly what happened in San Diego, right down to the crouching in the bushes and lying in wait for wanderers.

So Scot, my guess would be yes, Pride events probably do stir up bigots more than usual and they certainly provide them with many opportunities to assault unsuspecting gay people.

My greatest fantasy will come true when one of these "delicate" drag queens pulls off one of her pumps and goes all Stonewall on these punks; without breaking a sweat, and WITHOUT breaking a nail!

Now THAT would be justice!

Posted by: Zeke | Aug 2, 2006 10:51:15 PM