Anderson Cooper | CNN | News | Thomas Roberts

BigGayDeal.com

CNN's Thomas Roberts Comes Out at Gay Journo Confab

Thomas_roberts

I've always held a special place in my heart for CNN anchor Thomas Roberts, so I was interested to read a report by Beantown Cuban from the annual National Gay and Lesbian Journalists Association conference that was held in Miami this month.

If he hadn't made his sexuality known before, he reportedly let it all out in Miami, announcing that the conference was the "biggest step" he had taken to really being out in public, and that he had slowly been coming out at CNN over the years.

Beantown Cuban reports that Roberts (who caused a lot of "swooning in the hotel's hallways" - no doubt) said he was proud of his partner, and said something that might be taken as words of wisdom to one of his fellow anchors:

"When you hold something back, that's all everyone wants to know.''

Bravo to Roberts. And if you haven't tuned in to Headline News to see him, you'd best be touching that dial.

(thanks christine)

Comments

1. I could use some 24-hour coverage of that guy... delicious.

Posted by: Brian | Sep 12, 2006 10:59:34 AM

2. Woo Hoo! Damn, do I love Tom Roberts. He is only the 2nd hottest gay journalist behind you Andy!

Posted by: Dave | Sep 12, 2006 11:05:24 AM

3. Congrats to him! That's awesome!

Posted by: Derrick | Sep 12, 2006 11:09:23 AM

4. Johhny Diaz has a smile that would melt snow!

Posted by: Tom | Sep 12, 2006 11:11:12 AM

5. FANTASTIC!!!! I may have to start watching CNN again!

Rad

Posted by: Rad | Sep 12, 2006 11:24:59 AM

6. Don't know if this has anything to do with his coming out or not, but Reuters is reporting a shuffling of the desk chairs at CNN/HN. The 4:00 - 6:00et newscast co-anchored by Roberts is being cancelled and he and his co-anchor are being shuttled off to the dreaded "re-assignment" bin.

Click the URL link for the story.

Posted by: MississippiTim | Sep 12, 2006 11:33:17 AM

7. Unfortunately from TVNEWSER yesterday...

Headline News Reformats Dayparts

CNN Headline News isn't appointing a replacement for Rolando Santos. (Santos, the "executive vice president and general manager" of the network, is moving to CNNI.) "His duties will be handled" by VP for programming and production Bill Galvin and executive VP Ken Jautz, a CNN rep said.

Thomas Roberts and Kathleen Kennedy's 4 to 6pm newscast is being cancelled. (It's unclear what Roberts and Kennedy will be doing now.) The other two dayparts will expand by an hour each, so Mike Galanos and Christi Paul will anchor from 10am to 2pm, and Chuck Roberts and Linda Stouffer will anchor from 2 to 6pm. The 4 to 6pm staff will be absorbed into the other dayparts.

Posted by: Kevin | Sep 12, 2006 11:37:31 AM

8. This is not the first time Roberts has shown courage, and they are related. He testified against a Baltimore priest some time back who had molested him [and several others] as a teenager after he had been sent to the priest for counseling for, among other things, his mother's concerns about his sexuality. So, more than most of us, he had an extra box of demons to wrestle with in coming out both privately and publicly. Three cheers for him, and, yes, I, too, hope a certain colleague is paying attention.

Posted by: Leland | Sep 12, 2006 11:40:46 AM

9. Let's hope the cancellation of Thomas's HLN program had nothing to do with his announcement. I loved watching him on that program, he's handsome, funny and classy. I certainly wish Anderson (who I also love) could finally get himself together to take the same step that Thomas did.

Posted by: Ron | Sep 12, 2006 12:05:32 PM

10. My head just exploded. He's my fantasy man of all time! (Please pose nude in the Advocate... Please pose nude in the Advocate...)

Posted by: Dan | Sep 12, 2006 12:07:12 PM

11. "I certainly wish Anderson (who I also love) could finally get himself together to take the same step that Thomas did."

What, and get his show cancelled too!

Posted by: Bill | Sep 12, 2006 12:10:16 PM

12. A lovely story indeed, isn't it. Ah, gay journalists, who'd have thought it honey? ;>

He story supports the view that coming out is a lifelong process rather than a singular announcement.Being gay or lesbian seeps into everything we do and who we are. Good luck to him and his partner on the incredible journey.

Posted by: Sean R | Sep 12, 2006 12:11:41 PM

13. A bit too coincidental for me...

Posted by: Michael | Sep 12, 2006 12:28:51 PM

14. Why didn't I know about this guy?!? And he's in Atlanta, too? Hot damn! Hope it stays that way.

Posted by: Jacob | Sep 12, 2006 12:33:25 PM

15. Come out, get cancelled.

So, is THAT the reason Anderson keeps his mouth shut?

Posted by: Nate | Sep 12, 2006 12:38:34 PM

16. OMG! OMG! Several months ago he did news updates for Anderson Cooper 360 and I felt something. I thought Thomas was a bit uncomfortable with Andy. My thinking was that Thomas was totally straight and he knew Andy was gay. I am completely surprised by this. I am so happy that he is happy with being himself. I wish him the best!

I don't think his show being cancelled had anything to do with his sexuality. Months ago there were rumors that there would be a major shake up at CNN. That never fully materialized. I think the company wants to cut money by expanding better rated shows. They are seeing that shows like Today, GMA, and American Morning can lengthen and increase ratings. Also they said he would be doing news updates for other CNN shows like Nancy Grace and Showbiz Tonight.

Posted by: Jack | Sep 12, 2006 12:45:19 PM

17. Are cracks appearing in the celebrity firewall surrounding sexuality?

Posted by: Anon | Sep 12, 2006 1:40:27 PM

18. To anyone in the Atlanta area, this doesn't come as a surprise. Thomas Roberts and his partner are often out and about at gay events, bars, and other social activities.

Good for him for announcing it publically, that takes a lot of guts. Especially when it doesn't appear to be on the heels of tabloid rumors like those that "plagued" Lance Bass. He seems to have just done it on his own terms and at his own time.

Posted by: Dan B | Sep 12, 2006 1:43:12 PM

19. Thanks towleroad and beantown cuban for the Thomas Roberts story. He always seemed like such a nice guy and he's hot too! Good for him for attending a gay journalists' conference and speaking at a panel. And to Johnny Diaz, you have such a beautiful smile. Maybe you should be another gay and out journalist on TV too. :-D

Posted by: Rick | Sep 12, 2006 1:49:39 PM

20. perezhilton.com shared the Thomas Roberts news linking to towleroad.com ... it is THOMAS ROBERTS DAY ON THE WEB

Posted by: rjp3 | Sep 12, 2006 2:01:08 PM

21. FUCK YOU Anderson!!! If you work for people who would fire your ass for being openly gay, then QUIT. Otherwise, you are nothing but a sell-out putting money in the hands of those who want the gays to go away, forever.

If they would not fire you, then why are such a chicken? Be who you are, not who others want you to be.

The autobiography that wasn't truthful and now this, my lack of respect for AC just keeps increasing.

Posted by: Will | Sep 12, 2006 2:02:49 PM

22. So, when is Shepard Smith going to come out? That's the announcement I'm eagerly awaiting...

Posted by: Jordan | Sep 12, 2006 2:21:53 PM

23. BRAVO to Roberts indeed!

It's a shame that CNN canceled his show. We shouldn't assume that there is a connection between this cancellation and his coming out without more information to suggest such a connection. Hopefully he will land on his feet and be very successful in his future endeavors.

There have been rumors that Anderson Cooper has a "No coming out" clause in his CNN contract. I can only hope that the rumors are not true. However, if they are true, CNN AND Coop should be ashamed.

It IS 2006 for Christ's sake. It's a damn shame that still have to "come out" at all. Maybe someday we'll get to a point where people never have to be IN the closet in the first place.

I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 12, 2006 2:30:54 PM

24. He is hot, do you guys know the name of the CNN entertainment news anchor? He is hot as well.

Posted by: meh | Sep 12, 2006 2:44:22 PM

25. Will: Your sentiment is understandable but problemmatic. It is so easy to tell someone else to give up his or her livlihood (especially a profitable one) because of a moral stance. That doesn't seem to be realistic, though.

Posted by: JT | Sep 12, 2006 2:45:52 PM