AIDS/HIV | Books | China | Germany | News | Scotland | Television | Texas

BigGayDeal.com

News: Ann Richards Dies, Julian McMahon, Banned Gay Books

road.jpg Bill Clinton meets with liberal bloggers...

Geography_clubroad.jpg Gay novel Geography Club by Brent Hartinger, is second-most banned book of 2006, right after Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird. Last November, it was banned from a Tacoma, Washington school district because the school superintendent was upset that its plot depicted students using the internet as a way to meet. At least one parent disagreed: "It is about gay students. However, the most important part of the book is that it's about bullying, outcasts, about tolerance. This is a really good book for any student to read."

road.jpg Could Whitney Houston have just made the smartest decision of her life? I think so.

road.jpg Gay Berlin Mayor Klaus Wowereit (fondly known as "Wowi") headed for re-election this weekend.

road.jpg Scottish MPs back gay adoption. Scottish pastor Ake Green warns constituents to beware of gay "evil forces."

road.jpg Woman shoots herself one day after severe grilling from Nancy Grace.

Ann_richards_2road.jpg Former Texas Governor Ann Richards dies at 73. Immediately identifiable by her shock of white hair and quick tongue, she served in that post from 1991-1995 and was defeated for re-election by George W. Bush. At the 1988 Democratic National Convention, she uttered the well-known line about his father, then Vice President: "Poor George, he can't help it...He was born with a silver foot in his mouth."

road.jpg Nip/Tuck hunk Julian McMahon says he surprised his co-star Dylan Walsh with a kiss while they were filming: "Well, firstly, it wasn't meant to be a kiss. But I was enjoying Dylan's discomfort so much that I went for it. I've always said we should finish the show with this: Someone turns on the shower, and you see footsteps going in the back door (of Sean's house). Someone comes into the bathroom, and it's Christian visiting Sean. These are two guys who are obsessed with each other."

road.jpg REPORT: China facing gay AIDS epidemic: “We are seeing the development of a culture in Shenzhen reminiscent of San Francisco 25 years ago which is challenging traditional Chinese values of conformism and acquiescence.”

Comments

1. "McMahon claims he's sexually adventurous. ..."

Details, please.

Posted by: Rob | Sep 14, 2006 12:05:47 PM

2. :'( RIP, Ann Richards. From a fellow Texan.

Posted by: Nathan | Sep 14, 2006 12:12:20 PM

3. Godspeed, Ann. Texas and our fellow Texans will always love you.

Posted by: Blair | Sep 14, 2006 12:21:19 PM

4. Sounds like I should be reading the Geography Club. The Color Purple is also a widely banned book because of it's lesbian content.

Whitney made a good decision but will she continue to do so? I hope so.

Good luck to Wowi!

I'm getting sick of Nip/Tuck with their teasing. They love using gay issues for plot twist for the sole purpose of it being "risk-taking" and interesting.

Talking about gay issues in China have been taboo for a long time so I'm not surprised gay people are suffering. Also, the government monitors gay websites moreso than straight ones.

Posted by: Jack | Sep 14, 2006 1:28:57 PM

5. Did Anne Richards go on Nancy Grace?

Posted by: Rad | Sep 14, 2006 1:31:01 PM

6. God bless you Ann Richards, Texas will be less of a place without you.

Posted by: Alonzo | Sep 14, 2006 1:36:02 PM

7. Did Whitney make a smart decision? The answer would have to be: OH HELL TO THE YES!

Let's just hope her voice isn't ruined from all the years of drugs.

Posted by: HRH | Sep 14, 2006 2:02:51 PM

8. God speed Ms. Richards. You were a class act.

Posted by: pbnyc59 | Sep 14, 2006 2:27:13 PM

9. It was sad that Ann Richards didn't ascend beyond the Texas Governorship. She would have been awesome in congress. I loved her insight, wit, and Texas aphorisms. A sad day in politics.

Posted by: ScottJ | Sep 14, 2006 2:36:57 PM

10. China' "other" related problem is that there's a huge gender-imbalance due to the "one child" policies; the upcoming generation is 120+ men for every 100 women.

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Sep 14, 2006 2:39:51 PM

11. Ann Richards was defeated for reelection by Karl Rove spreading the rumor that she was a lesbian and assuring corporate polluters that putting business failure/war coward Georgie Boy in the governor's mansion would allow them to poison the state with impunity. And both tactics--and their disastrous results--were simply amplified for the 2000 president election. Richards rest in peace. Bush/Rove burn in Hell.

Posted by: Leland | Sep 14, 2006 3:26:15 PM

12. As a only spectator of American politics, I enjoyed the few opportunities I had of watching Ann Richards. Where so much of politics is male-dominated, she was a breath of fresh air. She struck me as a down to earth politician and a real lady who was a great character, and I am sorry to hear of her death.

Posted by: Sean R | Sep 14, 2006 3:39:33 PM

13. Ake Green is Swedish, by the way - not Scottish.

Posted by: Foeke | Sep 14, 2006 5:25:07 PM

14. Have you seen a pic of Wowerait, he's super duper handsome. Twice I have lived in Berlin, such a beautiful city, only to realize how far the mexican town I call home is from tolerance and acceptance.

Posted by: Carlos | Sep 14, 2006 5:58:48 PM

15. Åke Green is - unfortunately!!! - Swedish. I'd be happy to have my countryman exported to the Scots.

Posted by: Mats | Sep 15, 2006 10:02:19 AM

16. Ann Richards was a woman full of charm, poise, wit and intelligence. I had the tremendous opportunity to get to know her and interact with her ten years ago when she spoke at the fundraising dinner I produced in Washington,DC that raised money for the display of the AIDS Memorial Quilt. That dinner, A Night to Remember (which it truly was), raised over a million dollars -- and Ann brought the entire house (nearly 1400) to their feet several times during her keynote address. She was a powerful friend of the gay community -- and even appointed an openly gay, HIV positive man to serve on the Texas Board of Helath -- a revoluntionary thing at the time.

Ann, the world is better for you having lived among us -- and I hope that you will now be an angel that watches over us and our community.

Posted by: David | Sep 15, 2006 11:52:51 AM