Film | John Travolta

John Travolta's New Look

Travolta_hairspray_1

We got a little preview yesterday, but here's an official shot from the filmmakers. I expected the look of the film to be a bit more camp but perhaps Ms. Travolta brings enough of that herself.

You may have missed...
Travolta's Tasty Take-off Kiss [tr]

Comments

1. The girl playing Tracy looks cute, but Travolta looks like he's over-acting as usual.

Posted by: sam | Sep 8, 2006 9:16:34 AM

2. Good Lord! He looks more like a "safe date" from my old High School than camp or drag. I wish Harvey F. would have done the role.

Rad

Posted by: Rad | Sep 8, 2006 9:18:23 AM

3. Ick. My gawd, he's ugly, and not in a funny way. In a sad and pathetic way.

Posted by: me | Sep 8, 2006 9:26:10 AM

4. This movie is going to tank in the biggest way.

Posted by: David | Sep 8, 2006 9:37:24 AM

5. Harvey will have the last laugh. Shame on them for not letting him reprise his great performance. By the way, am I the only one who wonders why this role must be played by a man? I've always wanted to see Bette Midler play Edna. She would be great. Any thoughts?

Posted by: Arnie H. | Sep 8, 2006 9:47:07 AM

6. His hand is scary.

Posted by: Josh | Sep 8, 2006 9:49:12 AM

7. Andy I hope we don't have to have daily pics of JT as a reminder that he is ruining this film and that in or out of drag he is fugly.

Posted by: pbnyc59 | Sep 8, 2006 10:00:34 AM

8. YIKES! They really need to stop this whole cycle of movie-stage musical - movie. The Producers may have actually been better the third time around, but now they're messing with something that great to begin with.

Posted by: MT | Sep 8, 2006 10:02:09 AM

9. Travolta looks too young. Divine and Harvey were FAR better suited.

Posted by: dc-20008 | Sep 8, 2006 10:03:34 AM

10. Why would anyone want to see anything other than the original film? It was brilliant and to this day one of my all time favorite movies. I saw the musical and hated it.

Posted by: Bryce | Sep 8, 2006 10:07:27 AM

11. There's no way he's gonna come close to the brilliance of Divine.

Posted by: Chas. | Sep 8, 2006 10:13:02 AM

12. I agree with Bryce. The original John Waters film was BRILLIANT. I love Harvey too, but for me Edna will always be Divine.

I dearly love John Waters and his work, but since Travolta is starring in this film I won't go to see it. Not one single $0.10 for Scientology for me!

Posted by: Jonathon | Sep 8, 2006 10:21:05 AM

13. OK, now it all makes sense. JT has been packing on the pounds in order to play Edna Turnblat. What a dedicated actor. And here I thought he was just getting fat.

Kinda reminds me of the dedication of Charlize Theron when she gained so much weight to play the Aileen Wournos role in Monster.

On second thought "John Travolta" and "dedicated actor" just don't sound right in the same sentence. In fact "John Travolta" and "actor" in the same sentence is a stretch.

I guess he's just getting fat.

Posted by: Zeke | Sep 8, 2006 10:28:05 AM

14. I miss Divine.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Sep 8, 2006 10:40:38 AM

15. Sorry boys, I disagree, I LOVE this pic, it's hysterical...if this one pic is any indication of the performance or the flick itself, Mr. Travolta has done his once a decade career resurgence and will be walking on the red carpet again...

...perhaps this will be the final opportunity for the Academy to give him a little statue, Best Supporting Actress???

Posted by: Mark | Sep 8, 2006 11:38:38 AM

16. I'm holding out for the film based on the opera based on the novelization of the film based on the musical based on the film.

Posted by: dickie | Sep 8, 2006 12:04:26 PM

17. Taking away the fact that I have never been a JT fan, he looks more like a sister than a mother in that shot. As for his acting you either love him or hate him. Hate him. The closet factor only adds to it. Pulp Fiction was as is described in the dictionary, a soft wet shapeless mass.

As for him winning an Ocsar, after the BS last year, the Oscars could very well Crash again. Two words, Marisa Tomei. Over Miranda Richardson, Venessa Redrage, Joan Plowright, and Judy Davis?

Posted by: pbnyc59 | Sep 8, 2006 12:31:45 PM

18. Uh, I thought it was a Rosie O'Donnell publicity shot from "Riding the Bus with My Sister".

Posted by: jim | Sep 8, 2006 12:40:38 PM

19. It's soooo wrong... on every level. Nothing cute about it.

Posted by: Caliguy918 | Sep 8, 2006 12:52:21 PM

20. OMG!!!

Hil-Ar-I-Ous!!

You boys need to get a hambone.

Posted by: jjabely | Sep 8, 2006 1:01:06 PM

21. Why on earth would anyone remake this movie? I will bet that most people don't even realize there was an original film. Anyone who goes to see the musical or the undoubtedly collosal flop of a movie should be required to rent the brilliant original. I mean come on...Divine? Good Ricki Lake? Sonny Bono? Debbie Frickin' Harry? Pia Zadora as the Beatnik Chick? You can't improve on that. JT as Edna? I can't even begin to figure out that casting. The only inspired casting is Walken.

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Sep 8, 2006 1:11:51 PM

22. "Hairspray" is being remade for the exact same reason "Pygmalian" was remade into "My Fair Lady"—sometimes music adds to a story. I love the original "Hairspray", and I'm a Divine/John Waters fanatic. But the play "Hairspray" is wonderful (though admittedly minus the teeth of the original), so why trash the film before it's even released? Geez—chill out. Travolta seems a strange choice to me, too...but people thought Judy was wrong for "The Wizard of Oz" back in '39. Remember—they wanted Shirley Temple. And as far as Travolta's styling...Edna is supposed to be a frump. Remember Divine's greasy hair and K-Mart frock? She's not RuPaul...

Posted by: Nathan | Sep 8, 2006 2:27:52 PM

23. jim, jim, jim..! made me laugh out (really really) loud...

now that's an idea for a musical - Riding the Bus With My Sister: the Musical. Starring Rosie O'Donnell & Boy George as the sister.

Posted by: basis4insanity | Sep 8, 2006 2:58:11 PM

24. Y'know, I heard John Travolta may be gay!

Posted by: Rob (lrdarystar) | Sep 8, 2006 4:20:14 PM

25. ...and the Pope may be Catholic!

Scandal.