Comments

1. Arnie H. says

Harvey will have the last laugh. Shame on them for not letting him reprise his great performance. By the way, am I the only one who wonders why this role must be played by a man? I’ve always wanted to see Bette Midler play Edna. She would be great. Any thoughts?

2. MT says

YIKES! They really need to stop this whole cycle of movie-stage musical – movie. The Producers may have actually been better the third time around, but now they’re messing with something that great to begin with.

3. Bryce says

Why would anyone want to see anything other than the original film? It was brilliant and to this day one of my all time favorite movies. I saw the musical and hated it.

4. Jonathon says

I agree with Bryce. The original John Waters film was BRILLIANT. I love Harvey too, but for me Edna will always be Divine.

I dearly love John Waters and his work, but since Travolta is starring in this film I won’t go to see it. Not one single $0.10 for Scientology for me!

5. Zeke says

OK, now it all makes sense. JT has been packing on the pounds in order to play Edna Turnblat. What a dedicated actor. And here I thought he was just getting fat.

Kinda reminds me of the dedication of Charlize Theron when she gained so much weight to play the Aileen Wournos role in Monster.

On second thought “John Travolta” and “dedicated actor” just don’t sound right in the same sentence. In fact “John Travolta” and “actor” in the same sentence is a stretch.

I guess he’s just getting fat.

6. Mark says

Sorry boys, I disagree, I LOVE this pic, it’s hysterical…if this one pic is any indication of the performance or the flick itself, Mr. Travolta has done his once a decade career resurgence and will be walking on the red carpet again…

…perhaps this will be the final opportunity for the Academy to give him a little statue, Best Supporting Actress???

7. pbnyc59 says

Taking away the fact that I have never been a JT fan, he looks more like a sister than a mother in that shot. As for his acting you either love him or hate him. Hate him. The closet factor only adds to it. Pulp Fiction was as is described in the dictionary, a soft wet shapeless mass.

As for him winning an Ocsar, after the BS last year, the Oscars could very well Crash again. Two words, Marisa Tomei. Over Miranda Richardson, Venessa Redrage, Joan Plowright, and Judy Davis?

8. So Left I'm Right says

Why on earth would anyone remake this movie? I will bet that most people don’t even realize there was an original film. Anyone who goes to see the musical or the undoubtedly collosal flop of a movie should be required to rent the brilliant original. I mean come on…Divine? Good Ricki Lake? Sonny Bono? Debbie Frickin’ Harry? Pia Zadora as the Beatnik Chick? You can’t improve on that. JT as Edna? I can’t even begin to figure out that casting. The only inspired casting is Walken.

9. Nathan says

“Hairspray” is being remade for the exact same reason “Pygmalian” was remade into “My Fair Lady”—sometimes music adds to a story. I love the original “Hairspray”, and I’m a Divine/John Waters fanatic. But the play “Hairspray” is wonderful (though admittedly minus the teeth of the original), so why trash the film before it’s even released? Geez—chill out. Travolta seems a strange choice to me, too…but people thought Judy was wrong for “The Wizard of Oz” back in ’39. Remember—they wanted Shirley Temple. And as far as Travolta’s styling…Edna is supposed to be a frump. Remember Divine’s greasy hair and K-Mart frock? She’s not RuPaul…

10. basis4insanity says

jim, jim, jim..! made me laugh out (really really) loud…

now that’s an idea for a musical – Riding the Bus With My Sister: the Musical. Starring Rosie O’Donnell & Boy George as the sister.

11. moptopm says

It also looks strange sim to stage version, the mother Divine played was really convincing, very beautiful.. remember the scene where daughter takes mother shopping.. really quite lovely.. Divine was GRAND.. this stuff looks like late-SUMMER STOCK or DINNER THEATRE..