David Bromstad | DJ Tiesto | Geoffroy Messina | Latvia | News | Palm Springs | Religion | Rugby | Rupert Everett | Sean Penn | Sports | Television

News: Dieux du Stade, Gay Bishop Dissed, DJ Tiesto, Palm Springs

road.jpg Palm Springs' gays "unified in outrage" over openly gay Mayor Ron Oden's courteous welcome of Focus on the Family's "Love Won Out" conference for ex-gays to the area. Oden, a minister, says he was only being Christian: "I do not agree with Focus on the Family... yet, I believe that I should show them common or Christian courtesy."

Messinaroad.jpg Ready for more French rugby? Dieux du Stade 2007 is on its way and features one of our recent faves, Geoffroy Messina. Order HERE.

road.jpg Latvian Parliament passes amendments to labor law banning discrimination based on sexual orientation. Move brings Latvia in line with EU directive.

road.jpg Openly gay HGTV Design Star winner David Bromstad will develop a "color show" for the 13-episode series he won, says he's unlike his onscreen persona: "I’m a weirdo. I’m a very quiet person when I’m not working. All i really do is go to the beach; I stay home, I don’t go out. I’m kind of a homebody. But when I’m around people, I think I just thrive around people, they give me so much energy."

road.jpg Sean Penn's advice to his daughter's dates: "I tell them that whatever they do to my daughter that night, they better be prepared to come home and do it to me too."

Tiestoroad.jpg DJ Tiësto hospitalized in the Netherlands for heart condition.

road.jpg Gay man passed over in election of new Episcopal bishop: "It marked the second time in five months that a diocese of the U.S. Episcopal church has considered a gay person for bishop. In an election in May the Diocese of California, headquartered in San Francisco, also passed over a candidate who was gay. The 2.4 million-member U.S. church has been in turmoil since the 2003 consecration of Gene Robinson of New Hampshire, believed to be the first openly gay bishop in more than 450 years of Anglican history. Gay activists in the Newark Diocese said before the vote that choosing their new bishop was about picking the right person for the job, and not not about sexual identity.

road.jpg REVIEW: Rupert Everett memoir "a splendid book, a monument to a series of demi-mondes and fleeting bittersweet moments. Definitely several cuts above the conventional showbusiness memoir, laced with quirky insights and dazzling phrases, it reads like a lurid dream, recalled in deliciously acute detail - in short, a heady triumph of observation and reverie."

Comments

1. Tiesto had pericarditus, which is an infection of the lining of the heart. I've had it. It's relatively harmless as long as you get treated, but it can scare the hell out of you because it feels like a heart attack. You usually get it after the flu or a teeth cleaning.

He'll be fine.

Posted by: Mitch | Sep 25, 2006 12:44:17 PM

2. I had pericarditus too. It's scary and pretty painful when it comes on. The worst is having to sit in the E.R. waiting to get treated, and not being able to breathe.

Posted by: nuflux | Sep 25, 2006 1:04:51 PM

3. There is something to be said positively about Mayor Oden's "welcoming." By not actively using (or abusing) your public power trying to block or silence a group you disagree with, you effectively send a subtly contemptuous message to them, that in effect their views are so inferior to yours they are not worth actively opposing.

And when you go a step farther, and actually welcome them into town...that contempt get magnified by a factor of about 10 I'd say. He's basically saying "Welcome to Palm Springs! Have a nice stay. Spend lots of money while you are here. And do your worst...you ideas are so laughable to us as to be absolutely no threat to any of us whatsoever."

Of course this "welcome as form of contempt" theory only works if the welcomer has solidly pro-gay credentials...which openly gay Mayor Oden clearly has.

Rather than protests from lefty gay activist wackos in Palm Springs, Mayor Oden deserves kudos for his guile and cleverness here.

Posted by: Pompeius | Sep 25, 2006 3:32:55 PM

4. Is this National Nonsense Month wherever you live, Pompeius? First, your drivel about Reichen and now praising Oden for his "subtle contempt" and "guile" is fooling the fools. Are those legal drugs you're taking?

Posted by: Leland | Sep 25, 2006 3:49:35 PM

5. Leland: Please know that when I ask this, I do so with affection…is your last post what is referred to as “flaming”? I’m not one for all the current usages but I think “flaming” is deliberately attacking another person on a blog or a chat room. Maybe you know Pompeius or have communicated with him off the Towleroad, thereby entitling you to a bit of the sarcastic attacks, but I somehow doubt it.

Please, dear Leland, save the nastiness for Bush…it’s so much more fitting.

Posted by: JT | Sep 25, 2006 5:14:11 PM

6. "Maybe you know Pompeius or have communicated with him off the Towleroad, thereby entitling you to a bit of the sarcastic attacks, but I somehow doubt it."

No, to both. Shrug.

I always consider a personal attack response to one of my posts as a victory. It means I've successfully out-thought the other side.

Posted by: Pompeius | Sep 25, 2006 5:43:53 PM

7. Pompeius: At the risk of me being accused of "flaming," I'd have to say that that is certainly not the case with Leland. The guy is a phenomenal intellect, articulate and witty. You aren't in the same league as him. Actually there are few people who are I think he's either a philosophy professor or he's a fourteen year old boy-genius with a laptop.

Posted by: JT | Sep 25, 2006 7:01:46 PM

8. "The guy is a phenomenal intellect, articulate and witty."

He can cut and paste several column inches of text, rather than use a simple link, or selectively quote, right up with the best of them.

"You aren't in the same league as him."

I'd agree with that.

"I think he's either a philosophy professor or he's a fourteen year old boy-genius with a laptop."

Thank God I'm neither.

Posted by: Pompeius | Sep 25, 2006 7:32:14 PM

9. Well, sir, I'd contend that Leland, even though he may "cut and paste" a fair bit more than most commenters, has proven time and again that he gives tremendous thought to his posts, organizes them logically, spells correctly (generally), proofs his punctuation (sort of), and proves linguistic skills (at least German and Russian) that are above average.

His sarcastic "attacks" are an unfortunate result of the anonymity that blogs afford. I have had several e-mails from Leland off the Towleroad and I find him pleasant, humorous and open-minded. He does have a "mean streak" and has bitch-slapped me on more than one occasion.

Posted by: JT | Sep 26, 2006 7:31:54 AM