Channing Tatum | Film | Kimberly Peirce | Ryan Philippe

Ryan Phillippe and Channing Tatum do Stop-Loss

Stoploss1

It seems these days that every young actor must serve his country — on film. These are some shots from the set of Kimberly Peirce's Stop-Loss (named after the army's method of forcing troops to serve extended terms of duty) starring Ryan Phillippe and Channing Tatum.

Stoploss2

It seems so many of the war films we're getting these days paint a picture of a more dissatisfied military. This one concerns a soldier who refuses to return to battle after a government order to do so.

Stoploss3

Said Peirce in 2005: "This is a story about great guys who do the right thing by fighting for this country, and are then done wrong. The fatality rates for second and third tours are very high, and you understand why these guys feel like they've being asked to play another round of Russian roulette."

Stoploss4

Peirce's last film was 1999's Boy's Don't Cry.

(photo source)

Comments

1. What kind of stupid name is "Channing Tatum?" Am I the only one who's noticed this?

Posted by: nuflux | Sep 29, 2006 9:48:14 AM

2. This is number 2 for Ryan, after the upcoming "Flags of Our Fathers." I guess he's going Oscar baitin' to keep up with the wifey. Who, btw, I for some reason can't stand now. I used to adore Reese. Same with Scarlett Johanssen.

I don't get the Channing Tatum appeal. Jakey Gyllie, I get. He's charismatic, attractive in a non-conventional way, and talented. Channing just looks wierd, is moderately talented and has nice abs.

...altho, having nice abs does get you points. :-)

Posted by: Derrick | Sep 29, 2006 10:10:53 AM

3. I have zero interest in this movie. After the long wait, this is what Pierce REALLY wants to do??

Posted by: jjabely | Sep 29, 2006 11:22:38 AM

4. I don't know about y'all but I wouldn't mind being in a Channing Tatum/Ryan Phillippe sandwich...

As per the name, odds are it isn't his birth name (which is probably Chad Talonski or something of the such). I love when young stars appear with obviously changed names for popular appeal cough*Wentworth Miller*cough*cough*. Cracks me up...

Posted by: Cory | Sep 29, 2006 11:33:33 AM

5. Wentworth Miller uses his real name. He's a Princeton grad and has always gone by that name.

I know his dad's Jamaican, which may explain the Edwardian name.

Posted by: Shaun | Sep 29, 2006 1:54:46 PM

6. Ryan Phillipe is SO TEDIOUS.

Posted by: Kurt | Sep 29, 2006 2:37:59 PM

7. I know you aren't gettin' loud with mah Andy, Rhea! *grrr* uh-uhhh, someone hold my heels and gimme a scrunchie! lol

Posted by: Derrick | Sep 29, 2006 2:52:10 PM

8. It *is* his real name. According to imdb.com (which you just could have gone to find out) his real name is Channing Bryan Isaac Tatum Anderson.

Posted by: Charles | Sep 29, 2006 3:38:40 PM

9. That sounds like a name Britney Spears would come up with. Channing's mother must be a red neck.

Ryan's abs look hawt. I'll go see this movie just for that

Posted by: lex | Sep 29, 2006 4:57:31 PM

10. Check out Channing Tatum in "A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints." Never knew anything about him but he, along with Shia LeBeouf, Robert Downey Jr, and--well, pretty much the whole cast actually--do amazing work in this wrenching film.

Posted by: peter | Sep 29, 2006 5:04:39 PM

11. Is it just me or has Channing Tatum and Ryan beefed up to the point of absurdity? Both of them used to be toned and lean and so much hotter. Sigh, if they continue to beef up I am not sure where their acting career will be going since most of us only went to see them "act" because well.. they looked "models."

Posted by: Frank | Sep 29, 2006 6:48:29 PM

12. Channing Tatum is a meathead.

Posted by: 123 | Sep 30, 2006 6:42:26 AM

13. Mmmmm, he can "meet my head" any day. HA sorry, lame, but couldn't resist =)

Posted by: Cory | Sep 30, 2006 9:30:29 AM