I'm Gay | News | T.R. Knight | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Grey's Anatomy Actor T.R. Knight: "I'm Gay"

Knight_1Whether or not it was related to the brawl that erupted between Isaiah Washington and Patrick Dempsey on the set of Grey's Anatomy earlier this week, in which Washington allegedly referred to T.R. Knight with several derogatory slurs, Knight revealed to People magazine today that he is gay:

"I guess there have been a few questions about my sexuality, and I'd like to quiet any unnecessary rumors that may be out there. While I prefer to keep my personal life private, I hope the fact that I'm gay isn't the most interesting part of me."

You may have missed...
Tab: Isaiah Washington Used Gay Slur in Grey's Anatomy Brawl [tr]

Comments

1. An actor on a hit show, whose career is ascending, has actually come out? Wow. Good for him. Maybe it'll start a trend.

Posted by: sam | Oct 19, 2006 5:14:57 PM

2. Sam ^5

unlike lance.....this guy chose to come out while his career is on the rise. Good for him

I went over to IMDB to check out his board, and some fan girls didn't believe it "But he had girlfriends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" LOL not realizing that their own ballerina fashion designing boyfriends are using them for beards

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 19, 2006 5:18:02 PM

3. Good for him indeed. Nice way to do it too. No fuss, statement made, move on.

Posted by: Kevin | Oct 19, 2006 5:21:33 PM

4. My hat's definitely off to him. If only more actors had his courage!

Posted by: Colby | Oct 19, 2006 5:29:46 PM

5. Kudos T.R.!

Happy belated National coming out day!

Jimmyboyo, it's not necessary to slam Lance to praise T.R.. We should just be happy that they've BOTH come out. Many others haven't; either while they were at the top of their game OR otherwise.

Progress is always good, no matter when or where it happens.

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 19, 2006 5:30:48 PM

6. Awww! Woot! But I hope it doesn't hurt him in anyway...

Posted by: Vous | Oct 19, 2006 5:31:55 PM

7. ah zeke

now you have gone and made me feel all guilty.

:-P <<<<

Ok, Good for Lance as well.

T.r. coming out while his career is on the rise and no leaked pics is a rare and wonderful thing indeed

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 19, 2006 5:34:20 PM

8. who would have thought that Isaiah Washington choking Patrick Dempsey would lead to this??

Posted by: mp | Oct 19, 2006 5:35:22 PM

9. I agree with Jimmyboyo's original statement...it's cool that an actor whose star is on the rise has come out of the closet. In my opinion, that is the better scenario for our community. It models to the younger generation that you don't have to hide in fear that others won't accept you. And, given that an ascending star means one is still relevant, T.R. Knight will hopefully be able to effect change as opposed to these has beens (I'm not naming names...there are a LOT of them!) who come out only when their career is dead and they need a p.r. boost.

Bravo, T.R. and welcome to the community!

Posted by: peterparker | Oct 19, 2006 5:45:37 PM

10. Wait, I thought he was out already?

Is this like a reaffirmation or something?

Posted by: Rob (lrdarystar) | Oct 19, 2006 5:46:12 PM

11. So, so cute! I heart these slightly nerdy boys--now I finally have a reason to watch Grey's Anatomy (which I generally refer to as "that show with the guy who is desperately trying to revive his career")

Posted by: bboy | Oct 19, 2006 5:53:26 PM

12. I applaud T.R> for his coming out. One sexy man.

Posted by: Phil | Oct 19, 2006 5:55:42 PM

13. Wow! This is actually blowing me away. That's amazing! Good for him. He's a set of brass ones on him. I'm REALLY crushing on him now.

Posted by: J.R. | Oct 19, 2006 6:03:56 PM

14. Interesting to note that during the first season of the show, T.R.'s character had to deflect inuendo that he might be gay. Great actor, seriously. I don't believe this should affect his career.

Posted by: J.R. | Oct 19, 2006 6:09:50 PM

15. Jimmyboyo, you know I love ya brother. It wasn't my intent to make you feel bad. :(

Peterparker, I also agree with Jimmyboyo that it’s good when a person comes out while at the top of their game. It may be preferable to the “movement” but it’s not always preferable to the individual. It certainly takes an even greater degree of courage to do it while still a star and it's perfectly reasonable to applaud celebrities who make this leap.

I just don't think it's necessary to belittle Lance's step FORWARD by singling him out and comparing his timeline with T.R.'s. Lance is living openly and happily NOW, and is using his celebrity to help promote gay issues. That's what's really important as far as I’m concerned.

Jimmyboyo knows what I'm talking about. I was really impressed with how much more positive and inspiring his second comment was.

You rock Jimmy my friend! : )

Posted by: Zeke | Oct 19, 2006 6:17:00 PM

16. Hmmm, wonder if there is a boyfriend lurking in the wings somewhere? I think it kicks ass that he came out, a brave and respectable man!

Posted by: Jersey | Oct 19, 2006 6:19:14 PM

17. What a nice casual way of handling this. Good work--I'm a new fan.

Posted by: Kurt | Oct 19, 2006 6:20:35 PM

18. zeke

:-)

If your remark had come from anyone else, I probably would have simply dismissed it. It is due to my respect for you that tuly you did make me feel guilty. You made a very valid point.

:-)

"a slap from a friend is better than a kiss from an enemy"

If I ever say something stupid again, please point it out.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Oct 19, 2006 6:22:16 PM

19. >now I finally have a reason to watch Grey's Anatomy

Ugh, what a stupid thing to say. Some of you people are bigger sheep than the entire flock of born again christians that organizations like American Family Institute keep in their stables. Just ugh.

Posted by: chrisb | Oct 19, 2006 6:26:28 PM

20. Clearly a man with class. (As opposed to one who is diddling the class, oh excuse me Father.)

Posted by: crixi van cheek | Oct 19, 2006 6:29:46 PM

21. “An actor on a hit show, whose career is ascending, has actually come out? Wow. Good for him. Maybe it'll start a trend.” - Sam

I wish it were true guys, but sadly, like Lance Bass he was “forced “out of the closet by gossips (magazine, on-line etc.).

He is not closeted in his personal life BUT has apparently given the impression that he was straight on more than one occasion which confused a lot of people in New York media / theatre circles.

The gossip rags have made a big deal out of the “scuffle” between Grey’s Anatomy actors Dempsey and Washington partly because the incident confirmed their “reporting” of T.R. Knight’s homosexuality.

When the story first broke much of the mainstream media such as “E. T.” never mentioned that Washington maliciously “outed” his co-worker by referring to him as a faggot. Instead they focused on the scuffle which distracted from the slur that Washington allegedly used.

Now, many in the LGBT community what an apology from Isaiah Washington. Who is now being referred to as the “McBigot”.

Yes – it would have been great to see an openly gay actor play “straight” and still be accepted by the t.v. viewers but, as it stands now, T.R. Knight joins the long list of actors/ public personalities that have been forced out.

It will be interesting to see how this will affect his role and storyline on “Grey’s Anatomy”.

And what about the gay viewers of Grey’s Anatomy? Should they still watch the show with this “alleged” bigot Isaiah Washington as part of the cast? I don’t know – but – Isaiah you have some explaining to do.

Peace

Pandora

UNITE IN THE FIGHT FOR CIVIL RIGHTS

Posted by: Pandora | Oct 19, 2006 6:45:56 PM

22. Good for T.R. If I had to hear another Clay Aiken-esque denial, I think I would puke.

Can't wait till tonight's episode.

Posted by: Marco | Oct 19, 2006 6:56:19 PM

23. > The gossip tongues have been wagging about the talented T.R. Knight since last November.<

The gossip tongues have been wagging about lots and lots of people, who are much more famous, for much longer. So what?

Also, lots of dumb-asses call lots of people "faggots," and that doesn't mean they've "outed" them. Stories like the "Gray's Anatomy" backstage fight have a short shelf life, even here in LA; just because something's on Entertainment Tonight doesn't make it front-page news.

TR could have stayed in the closet, as many people with much less to lose have done, but he didn't. That's good news. End of story.

Posted by: DRH | Oct 19, 2006 6:57:31 PM

24. While Knight's statement does kind of indicate that he's coming out reluctantly, I'd like to think that a part of him did it just to stick it to Washington to out HIM as a homophobe.

Posted by: Joseph | Oct 19, 2006 7:00:39 PM

25. Whether he came out reluctantly or with guns blazing, he did it gracefully (simply) and it's I think it's a huge awesome deal. He's on one of the biggest shows on TV right now. When has that ever happened? This is awesome.

Posted by: Erik | Oct 19, 2006 7:04:22 PM