Art and Design | Film | Gore Vidal | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Must See: Trailer for a Remake of Gore Vidal's Caligula

This is a short "art film" in the form of a movie trailer that was presented at the Venice Bienniale as a parody of the original film. There was no remake ever planned and this was just done as a special project, shown in Venice and at this year's Whitney Biennial.

Maybe the best trailer you'll ever see for a train-wreck of a film that was neither made, nor planned.

Possibly NSFW.

Comments

1. Wow. Just damn.

Helen Mirren looks STUNNING!

Too bad it's not a real remake. Looks like it would be much better than the original.

Posted by: Jonathon | Nov 13, 2006 4:41:20 PM

2. Love Gore Vidal. Love Roman History. Shame about the first version of that movie, which I once saw being screened at a hotel bar in Disneyland. Boy, was the bartender shocked when he looked up.

In the name of the Senate and the People of Rome!

Posted by: David S | Nov 13, 2006 4:41:32 PM

3. Interesting... the figure on the medalion looks a lot like the Pope...

This is not a real remake? Damn.

Posted by: Rad | Nov 13, 2006 5:00:39 PM

4. I love me some Courtney Love.

Posted by: peterparker | Nov 13, 2006 5:04:45 PM

5. Well, that was cerainly worth five minutes of my life! Thanks.

Posted by: kansastock | Nov 13, 2006 5:07:11 PM

6. When Karen Black screamed "Caligula!!!" near the end of that trailer, milk came out of my nose. Which is odd, considering that I'm drinking Vodka.

Posted by: Chesnut | Nov 13, 2006 5:08:05 PM

7. I cant beelive the main steam media isnt talking about this with all those well known actors protrayed in it... i loved the original pic adn i love this trailer too bad its not real i wud have love to see del toro in all his glory..

Posted by: Garcia | Nov 13, 2006 5:25:21 PM

8. That's the best thing I ever saw Courtney Love do.

Genius, that was.

Posted by: Thor | Nov 13, 2006 6:13:36 PM

9. Count me in with the choir; I REALLY wish they had made this film. It would have been a laugh RIOT!! Karen Black is my ALL TIME favorite camp queen! Can you imagine the gay sex orgy combined with Hollywood stars? DAMN!DAMN!DAMN!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Nov 13, 2006 6:19:21 PM

10. I'm impressed with the casting, must have been a happy set. What was the working title, "Weekend at Gianni's"?

Posted by: Ted B. (Charging Rhino) | Nov 13, 2006 6:27:46 PM

11. Hilarious! Can't wait to see it...oh wait...too bad.

This was great, thanks for sharing. I'm making all my friends watch who make fun of me for owning the DVD.

Posted by: scotte | Nov 13, 2006 6:43:56 PM

12. I'd go see it in a heartbeat. It would be uproarious.

Posted by: Jolly Wacker | Nov 13, 2006 6:56:24 PM

13. NSFW? Uh, just a little.
    I remember reading about this in the NY Times a few months ago. Francesco Vezzoli, the artist, has some interesting takes on glamor and celebrity and was featured in the Whitney Biennial. Remember that Helen Mirren was in the original Caligula movie?

Posted by: The Shophound | Nov 13, 2006 6:58:58 PM

14. Possibly NSFW? I guess a lot of bosses would be open to a new facial creme?
    Thank was awesome Andy, thanks.

Posted by: mick | Nov 13, 2006 7:06:47 PM

15. What's really funny are the comments on youtube. People actually thought this was serious! lol With lines such as "in her first lesbian screen role" and Benicio del Toro and Helen Mirren obviously over-acting for parody's sake, lord people's intelligence levels frighten me sometimes... but the orgy scenes, even I blushed lol...

Posted by: Cory | Nov 13, 2006 7:49:32 PM

16. Gore Vidal has to be the smartest, most classy gentleman in the world. By spoofing this fiasco (thanks to Bob Guccioni) Mr. Vidal indeed has the last laugh. Does anybody remember William F Buckley calling Gore Vidal a Queer on national television? Does anybody know who William F. Buckley is? Gore Vidal is legendary.

Posted by: kevinsf | Nov 13, 2006 8:22:46 PM

17. Maybe some big-shot producer in Hollywood will read about the positive reaction this "trailer" has been getting and a new version will be born.
    One can only hope...

Posted by: Charles | Nov 13, 2006 9:18:51 PM

18. ...the voluptuous HORROR of karen black! YESSSSSSSSS...!

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Nov 13, 2006 9:39:49 PM

19. this is pretty old news guys (2 or 3 yrs). this trailer was made sorta like a humourous art project and screened at various venues including when I saw it at the whitney in NY. But damn Gerard Butler...he is HAWT!

Posted by: Toto | Nov 13, 2006 9:56:04 PM

20. My sad sad life is over. I thought I was the only one who had a solid gold dildo. I thought I was the only one who used the seed of gladiators for wrinkle cream. I thought I was the only one who wished there was more Michelle Phillips in the world. Wait! Maybe it's not ONLY Courtney Love who is the reincarnation of Caligula! Bhwa-ha-ha! BBBBWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!

Posted by: PSMike | Nov 13, 2006 10:22:33 PM

21. FABULOUS!!

Posted by: TC | Nov 13, 2006 10:59:23 PM

22. Finally, we see the secret behind the power and glory of the Land of SPQR: GOLD STRAPONS.

I was nearly dead from laughing BEFORE Courtney showed up; that dialog combined with The Laugh was fabulous horror at its most...fabulously horrific.

I agree with the first comment; Helen could play ANYTHING and I'd be begging for more. In the end, though, who could shriek it better than Karen Black...CALIGULAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Posted by: Jonathan | Nov 13, 2006 11:23:07 PM

23. I laughed, I cried, I nearly peed my pants. Now that's satire!

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Nov 14, 2006 4:23:49 AM

24. OH PLEASE tell me Gerrad Butler has a gay sex scene

oh and Courtney Love is a nasty coke whore yuck!

Posted by: steve | Nov 14, 2006 5:06:49 AM

25. OH please, somebody remake this movie.

Posted by: Queer Me Now | Nov 14, 2006 9:09:03 AM