I'm Gay | Neil Patrick Harris | News

Neil Patrick Harris: I'm Gay

HarrisLess than two weeks after a columnist at Canada.com suggested that actor Neil Patrick Harris (still familiarly known to many as Doogie Howser, MD), 33, had offered his "longtime sweetheart" David Burtka a role on the sitcom How I Met Your Mother, Harris has come out of the closet.

Canada.com's claim that Harris was involved with a man inspired an alleged denial from Harris' publicist that was published without attribution by ContactMusic.com. They quoted a Harris publicist as saying, "He's not of that persuasion."

Harris was apparently as displeased by the reported statement as many others were. In a statement to People magazine, Harris appeared keen on quashing the reports that he had denied it.

Said Harris: "The public eye has always been kind to me, and until recently I have been able to live a pretty normal life. Now it seems there is speculation and interest in my private life and relationships. So, rather than ignore those who choose to publish their opinions without actually talking to me, I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love."

EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris Tells PEOPLE He Is Gay [people]

Related
Grey's Anatomy Actor T.R. Knight: "I'm Gay" [tr]
Lance Bass: "I'm Gay" [tr]

Comments

1. What a great, clear and simple statement. And from an actor in mid-career!

Posted by: KJ | Nov 4, 2006 10:05:42 AM

2. NPH is a class act.

Posted by: JL | Nov 4, 2006 10:08:02 AM

3. Good for him!! Wish Neil Patrick Harris all the best!!

Posted by: alan brickman | Nov 4, 2006 10:19:00 AM

4. What I like about all of the coming out this year is that it sends a message that there is nothing shameful about coming out...but there IS something shameful in being a closeted hypocrite.

Posted by: mark m | Nov 4, 2006 10:32:58 AM

5. Wow. KJ and JL chose the perfect words. A statement full of class, its power magnified by its very simplicity. No "I'm not ashamed" which could be read by those who want to as, "I SHOULD be ashamed but I'm not." And not a single, premeditated knee in the groin of "crazy gay activists."

Posted by: Jim | Nov 4, 2006 10:42:15 AM

6. I said before: "I love NPH. No matter what, I hope he's happy. If he is gay then hopefully he'll one day soon be able to come out for himself and everyone else afterwards."

And I'm glad that day came so soon! Love him!

Posted by: Rob (lrdarystar) | Nov 4, 2006 10:46:50 AM

7. Bravo, NPH!

Posted by: mikey d | Nov 4, 2006 10:58:06 AM

8. At a time when the toxic closet is on full display, NPH's statement is breath of fresh air & will have a postive impact on young men and women everywhere.

Posted by: Mark Hutt | Nov 4, 2006 11:00:38 AM

9. OMG. Some of you are the same people who were bashing him last week. I know I was. This is not a monumental move in the gay community. Yes-a first start. I want the truly closeted fags to come out. We all knew he was gay-how about the others. Mr Jolie?

Posted by: Andrew | Nov 4, 2006 11:08:36 AM

10. He just moved from B-List to Grade A in my book!

Posted by: Michael W. | Nov 4, 2006 11:11:40 AM

11. Andrew-
    You are truly a bitter human being. This is one man's personal journey and no one is saying it's monumental-but in times where preachers like Ted Haggard and Congressman Mark Foley show the underbelly of what being closeted and self-hating can do to gay men- NPH's coming out is quite significant and a welcome change. People are merely applauding the fact he came out in a public arena. No different than when friends of ours come out at work, to family, etc., we congratulate them as we all know what an emotional process it can be. S

You want all the "truly closeted fags to come out"?!? This is what you're spending your days on? Why not examine your own need to use a word like "fag."

You are precisely the reason why people in the public eye don't want to come out because they are greeted by bitter, snarky comments by the likes of people like you.

Posted by: jay | Nov 4, 2006 11:23:30 AM

12. OK-sure. You are really incorrect.

Posted by: Andrew | Nov 4, 2006 11:27:35 AM

13. BTW-don't fuck with me. Youi will lose.

Posted by: Andrew | Nov 4, 2006 11:29:40 AM

14. Jay?

Posted by: Andrew | Nov 4, 2006 11:32:58 AM

15. no comment from the gallery?

Posted by: Andrew | Nov 4, 2006 11:36:53 AM

16. Christ.....snarky IS this fucked up room. People were all nasty on him earlier in the week..because you fucked up NYC fags (yes..that word on purpose...you don't like it start bitchin ' to Andy about changing it on his PAID advertising), and the holier than thou still moaning about their mommas bash anyone and everyone who doesn't agree with them that second. This guy came out...and he came out when it STILL might endanger his career...something none of you precious queens ever give a shit about. The best thing that could happen for gays today is for most of us..yes me too (but then I have been for months) to just shut the fuck up.

Posted by: PSMike | Nov 4, 2006 12:05:50 PM

17. At the risk of just leaving food out for a cocksuckingroach like you, Andrew, please forgive me for pointing out to you and everyone else who repeatedly, absurdly announces, "WE ALL KNEW" Lance is gay, Anderson Cooper is gay, Tom Cruise is gay, John Travolta is gay, T.R. Knight is gay, Harris is gay, fill in the blank," that omniscience doesn't exist but omnipresent obnoxiousness does. Get out much? You write like a dog licks its own ass—just because you can.

Posted by: Leland | Nov 4, 2006 12:09:46 PM

18. Witch hunt case #35988 solved. Y'all happy now?

Posted by: 000000 | Nov 4, 2006 12:30:02 PM

19. Now that's a real man for you.

I always loved 'Doogie' ... and now I respect him too. I only wish more stars had his balls.

Posted by: taylor Siluwé | Nov 4, 2006 12:30:58 PM

20. thanks Leland.

And you too.

Posted by: Andrew | Nov 4, 2006 12:37:21 PM

21. Funny u would say that I CAN Lick my ass-and I do get out alot. I guess God shined on me.

Posted by: Andrew | Nov 4, 2006 12:43:48 PM

22. with the correction...

Funny u would say that. I CAN Lick my ass, and I do get out alot. I guess God shined on me.

Posted by: otto | Nov 4, 2006 12:52:20 PM

23. Bravo for Neil. He is a young, handsome and talented man who is not afraid of clearing up rumors about his personal life. I hope we had some of that here in Mexico.

Posted by: Felix | Nov 4, 2006 12:55:36 PM

24. So Mr. Harris came out, finally. Good for him, and may he have a long career playing against type. And who cares who comes out or when, just that they DO? Andrew, it seems to me that you'd have better things to do than to wonder who's gay and who's not and what they're going to do in their privates lives - isn't that WHY it's called "private"?

Posted by: JdEB | Nov 4, 2006 1:04:41 PM

25. I for one never said anything about NPH. I think his statement was really classy, and I love that it obviously came out as a result of his being pissed off at his publicist's denial. People come out when they're ready, and that readiness is often dictated by the amount that the person stands to lose. I also don't think there's any comparison between NPH coming out and Mark Foley's imbroglio. You can't compare an actor who has been relatively silent about political issues with a politician who has for years been pushing a political party's agenda that is directly opposed to our (and his) civil liberties.

Good for you, Doogie.