Parti Québécois leader Andre Boisclair Brokeback Skit Slammed

Brokebackboisclair

Openly gay Parti Québécois leader Andre Boisclair has been criticized for appearing in a TV sketch which parodies Brokeback Mountain.

The sketch features George Bush and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper shirtless inside a pup tent. George Bush fondles his nipples before throwing two cherries at Harper. The cherries then appear strategically placed atop two mounds of whipped cream on Harper’s chest. The tent unzips and Boisclair, peeking his head through, says “Quebec won’t get mixed up in something like that.”

The sketch, of course, was immediately broadcast over Canadian new networks, prompting criticism from those who felt that Boisclair’s participation was not fitting of a statesman.

AndreboisclairBoisclair appeared surprised by the negative reaction: “I did it in good faith and people will judge for themselves. But now that I see how much of a debate all of this has triggered, it’s quite obvious I wouldn’t do it again.”

Of course, Boisclair has never been known for a platform of good behavior. When he was running for Parti Leader and acknowledged cocaine use, the candidate saw his popularity soar in the polls.

At the time, a former cabinet member attempted to explain that the reason for the jump was the mindset of the French Canadian voter: “We Quebecers fancy our heroes a little bit cheeky, defeatist, hesitant, unsure of themselves, alcoholic, a little or even a lot unreliable, a little bit fraudulent or even a little drugged. We like to say they are like us.”

Even members fo his own party have come out against the sketch, but what will the people say?

The sketch is scheduled for broadcast on the Canadian station MusiMax on December 22, but you can see what the fuss is about right here:

You may have missed…
Quebec’s Frontrunner for “Party” Leadership [tr]
Gay Man Elected Leader of Parti Quebecois [tr]

Comments

1. Jeff says

Okay, maybe I’m a bit thick, but I don’t get the joke.

That is not to say, however, that I don’t find M. Boisclair extremely sexy. In my next life, I’d like to come back as his jockstrap.

2. JT says

I think it’s a “joke” taking advantage of Mr. Boisclair’s outitude, the whole nature of marriage non-issue that Mr. Harper has promised to revisit, and the attempts of the conservatives to mend the ties with the US that Pres. Bush severed within 24 hours of taking office.

Or it could just be a French-Canadian thing that Anglophones aren’t supposed to understand.

3. jimmyboyo says

Many canadians are sick and tired of the bush and Prime Minister Stephen Harper buddy buddy love fest. They are too close and Candains are sick and tired of it.

4. JT says

Vincent: The fact that Mr. Harper is trying so hard to inject religion into Canadian politics is hilarious and, I think, unprecedented from a PM. I do enjoy the fact that Mr. Boisclair, from the majority Catholic PQ, being openly gay and honest. I can’t imagine any skeletons in his closet. Incidentally, there was hardly any French accent in your typing.

5. Voyageur says

I’m confused…The Rick Mercer Report on CBC (a comedy show) regular has politicians on, participating in comedy bits with their full knowledge. And this thing is causing a hullaballoo? Much ado about nothing…

6. Zeke says

I can understand Jimmyboyo’s misspelling “Canadians” because he, like I, types faster than he thinks sometimes and we’ve come to expect a few typos from him, mais Vincent, je ne peux pas comprendre comment un Canadien français pourrait mal épeler “Québécois” si terriblement.

7. JT says

What I want to know, dear Zeke, is how you get the foreign accents to print. I’ve tried getting accents on various words but they just don’t show up…even when I do a cut and paste from Word.

8. Zeke says

Thanks Rudy, It’s GREAT to be back!

You and JT were so kind to me and my family during the ordeal. I can never thank you enough my friends!

JT, I don’t know what to tell ya bubba. When I comment in German, French or Spanish (I’m an edjumacated redneck!) I type it up on “Word” first so that I can add the correct accent marks. Then I copy and paste to the comment board. They seem to carry over well to Towleroad but they sometimes don’t carry over to other discussion boards.

Do you know how to add the accents in Word?

9. Donald says

Handsome, smart, successful, cute, funny with a coke past. The perfect man for me. Does he have a husband? ….Oh wait I do.. Oh Well! Hi JT have you forgotten about me?

10. pierre says

Boisclair is gay but I’ll be damned if I can find or have ever seen a pic of him with his shirt off. Hell, even Rae did a nude stunt, and the wacko Conservative Stockwell Day did a beach pic that showed flesh. I’d LOVE to see even just a chest shot of Andre… and would really flip out if there was a swimsuit or nude pic!

11. FizziekruntNT says

Am I the only person that found it somewhat disappointing for M. Boisclair to have said he regretfully misjudged himself? The only fault I could possibly find with any of his behavior is by not having insisted on a better production! Les Justiciers Masqués should have their FagTags revoked for putting on what looks like something two sixteen year-olds drinking a little too much Pouilly-Fuissé could have done.

Perhaps the true regret here is poor timing before the proposed referendum on unilaterally seceding Quebec from Canada, and that poor press would possibly damage any leverage in that decision.

Oh what I’d do for an evening with André!