Golan Cipel | James McGreevey | New Jersey | News

BigGayDeal.com

Golan Cipel: McGreevey is a Dangerous Bisexual

Following his recent interview with WCBS in New York, Golan Cipel appeared on Larry King Live last night and repeated his recent claims that he is not gay, but also said that he doesn't believe James McGreevey is exclusively gay either. "I believe that Jim McGreevey is bisexual," said Cipel, citing stories the former New Jersey Governor told him about picking up prostitutes in the Dominican Republic and Germany.

GolanMcGreevey's former aide and Homeland Security Advisor said that he believed his former boss began spinning a web of lies when faced against a sexual harassment lawsuit brought by Cipel after he made allegedly unwanted sexual advances:

"I think McGreevey had no choice. There was a sexual harassment lawsuit against him. And he didn't know what to do, and his advisers told him, 'come out first,' and he would be perceived as the victim" and thereby gain control of the story."

He also urged the gay community to be wary of McGreevey: "My point is, I'm asking the gay community, which I respect, not to embrace McGreevey. McGreevey is a man who chose violence, who is a man who committed sexual harassment to me and to others and he should not be part of that."

These two just sound like a pair of bitter lovers out to get one another. As I said before, I don't believe either one of them.

Golan Cipel Interview [larry king live]

You may have missed...
Former McGreevey Aide Golan Cipel Gives First TV Interview [tr]
McGreevey/Cipel Affair Turns into "He Said, He Said" [tr]

Comments

1. Aren't Cipel's 15 minutes over yet?

Enough already!

Posted by: Jonathon | Dec 1, 2006 11:16:05 AM

2. Some of what McG has said, particularly on Oprah, reveals that he is unconfortable with his sexuality and may be bi-, but who can believe Cipel's harassment story when he got his job out of the blue? Harassed people don't get high-paying no-show jobs, they get demoted or fired. It's rare that anyone is being asked to prove they are gay. Calling Judge Judy!

Posted by: Anon | Dec 1, 2006 11:28:05 AM

3. O Hell hath no fury like a Closet Case scorned.

Posted by: just sayin' | Dec 1, 2006 11:36:42 AM

4. "a dangerous bisexual"

That's pretty funny. Dangerous like Catherine Trammell?

The B's in GLBT need to step up and protest (with ice picks).

Posted by: jmg | Dec 1, 2006 11:39:02 AM

5. Such bitterness. Wasn't this a story years ago? Why is he all over the spotlight now? I'm with you Andy, I don't trust the either of them.

Posted by: Derrick | Dec 1, 2006 11:50:15 AM

6. "My point is, I'm asking the gay community, which I respect, not to embrace McGreevey. McGreevey is a man who chose violence, who is a man who committed sexual harassment to me and to others and he should not be part of that."

I too do not trust either of them, the oprah interview made me dislike McSleezy even more. That said I think Cipel is just the same. How has he shown any respect in the Gay community? Why did he drop his case against McG if it was true? Sounds just like Bill O'Rielly dropping his suit after he heard she had tapes.

They should all just drop off the face of the earth.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Dec 1, 2006 11:55:05 AM

7. They both have that creepy straight guy Jersey hair.

I wouldn't trust them either.

Posted by: Al | Dec 1, 2006 11:57:50 AM

8. Andy is right. These guys are both creepy. McGreevey is just a user of the worst sort. The whole "gay American" thing had slime-ball politician spin all over it.

I'm sure the apologists will come out to defend McGreevey but the guy is a scumbag. Giving an unqualified lover a high-profile job speaks of corruption and cronyism. McGreevey admitted that he deceived and married his second wife because of his political ambition. How is that not cynical and unethical? There's a big difference between a person who has doubts about his sexuality marrying a woman with the misguided hope of changing versus someone using another person. McGreevey could have found a beard but he didn't. How can we trust anything that comes out his mouth since we know the guy lies to get his way in the most cruel fashion? By his own admission, McGreevey cheated on his wife while she was in the hospital hours after she given birth to his child. Gay or straight, anyone who cheats on his partner like that is scum.

Posted by: noah | Dec 1, 2006 11:59:02 AM

9. I always have a hard time believing these women who are married to gay guys, and they can't ever figure out they guy is homo? That never seems to make much sense to me.

Posted by: whatever | Dec 1, 2006 12:20:59 PM

10. Just an honest question to ask people here:

Last year around this same time, many people here were praising "Brokeback Mountain", a film which portrayed two closeted male lovers who deceived their respective wives as well as others, as a sympathetic portrayal of the difficulties some gay men experience coming to terms with their sexual identities and feelings.

Why is there not similar sympathy for McGreevey, who also deceived his wife and the public in general, as he struggled with his sexual identity and feelings?

Although the time frame is different, "Brokeback Mountain" appeared to span the 1970s, a time when the gay subculture and community were emerging into visibility. (Doesn't Jack even mention something about "people like us" moving to the big city?) So Jack and Ennis definitely knew they had options - something Jack kept trying to persuade Ennis to pursue with him by leaving their wives and living together on a little farm.

So what accounts for the apparent lack of compassion for McGreevey but bucketloads of compassion for two fictional characters in a movie?

Posted by: LightningLad | Dec 1, 2006 12:29:48 PM

11. Uh ... Brokeback are fictional characters in a MOVIE!

These two are not fictional and still have the creepy straight guy Jersey helmet hair.

Posted by: Al | Dec 1, 2006 12:36:05 PM

12. Andy, both you and i don't believe in these two, perhaps we should stop publishing stories about them in the hope that they would go away? They are NITTY GRITTIES, Get THEM out of here!

Posted by: pat | Dec 1, 2006 12:40:07 PM

13. I thought Jersey women had Big Hair Al. Never heard of Jersey Helmet Hair.

I think people were defending BBM the movie from the accusation that it showed adultery in a good light more than defending the characters, but also, the devil is in the details and J&E were in love from the start, essentially committing knowing adultery against each other by marrying women. It's what you call an "unsparing" portrait, not a pro-adultery romp. The movie also portrayed the wives sympathetically. Finally, could it have ended any worse for the two men? Cipel is unmarried. McG slept around in anonymous trysts for years and married TWICE to protect his career. There is no Jack to McG's Ennis. However, both are cautionary tales, particularly for women who are naive or think they can "change" their husbands.

Posted by: Anon | Dec 1, 2006 12:49:10 PM

14. Is it really, technically sexual harassment if you express interest in a co-worker or employee or superior if you let it go when turned down? Doesn't sexual harassment begin when you either pursue after the rebuff or discriminate in some way the rebuffer?

I'm especially egg-shelley on this as an openly gay man in the work place. Am I not allowed to ask anyone out or express an interest? It's crazy making!

Posted by: BeeDee | Dec 1, 2006 12:51:53 PM

15. It's because Jake G and Heath L are hot and most gay men can't look past that, obvi.

Posted by: Randy | Dec 1, 2006 1:30:59 PM

16. LIGHTNINGLAD

As was said above, one case is fiction, the other real life. Also there are the case that both met before being married, Jack had sexual expierence with men while Ennis had not. Being gay in middle America in a small ranch in the '70's and in a big city in the '80's also is a major factor.

Then there is the sleeze factor of both McG and Cipel. McG not only married twice, he did so because of his career, and he slept around over and over. He also hired and promoted Cipel for the purpose of having him in bed. Cipel took a job he was not qualified for, whether he slept with or kept McG on a string is known only to him.

The other factor with McSleexy is that at the time he left office, he was being investigated over several questionable actions that could have put him out of office and possibly in jail. If you took the gay factor out he was slime either way.

BEEDEE,

Having an affair at work is risky business. I have seen mostly bad outcomes, though some do work out. The fact that your boss has power over you, added to the power issues of sex, is a very bad combination for both. Sexual harrasment starts when sexual attraction is started on either party. Many a boss has been taken down by a subordinate using sexual politics and attraction to get their way.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Dec 1, 2006 1:37:55 PM

17. Brokeback Mountain was a fictional film (and in my opinion a very good one). It also did not show adultery in a good light--it showed adultery and denial of sexuality as something that destroyed lives. I think any reading of it that says it encouraged people to mimic the lives of the character is seriously off.

Posted by: Daniel | Dec 1, 2006 1:42:56 PM

18. Golan is a muthafuckin' liar. Middle Eastern gay or "bisexual" men are psychologically twisted... religion causes that... and I know, from first hand experience. The fact Golan said McGreevey was "bisexual...etc." told it all. What "straight" man would make that comment... it's either gay or straight, with them. I wanted to reach through the tube and wring that fake lying ass bitch by the neck. And I love Larry, but I could have snapped his suspenders and sent him flying to media hell for liking Golan... but I understand: it's a shared religion thing (Jewish...)

Posted by: CaliNexus | Dec 1, 2006 1:53:34 PM

19. I just finished McGreevey's book, THE CONFESSION, and I think it's great. I don't know why you guys are so down on him. He talks a lot in the book about how his ambition drove him to hurt his two wives - he owns up to it - and the idea that he resigned because he had an affair with one of his staff is somehow not a good enough reason is absurd - that it was a cover for more heinous crimes, none of which were ever prosecuted. Once again, the gay community devours one of its own. How about showing a little sympathy for a change?

Posted by: Ed | Dec 1, 2006 1:54:08 PM

20. Mon frere, Patrick. Ironic, given how much we agree on, that our impressions of McGreevy in the Cathedral of St. Oprah were so different.

Certainly his aggressive religiosity turned off a hardshell athiest like me, but that doesn't mean he wasn't sincere. And, unlike some, I didn't "hear" his explanations of his failures as excuses. He flagellating himself several times. And being investigated for something is not the same as being found guilty of something.

The larger issue for me is whether he is doing more harm or more good by his current actions? If it is the latter, should we care if he's sincere? Some veteran Towleroadies might immediately think, "Then why do you dislike Reichen so much if it doesn't matter whether he's sincere or not?"

And I have labored over that question. Many, many moons ago I asked movement patriarch Frank Kameny, who was speaking at a conference I was helping organize, what he thought of a particular gay celebrity who I'd heard once only in it for personal aggrandizement. Kameny replied, "I've heard those stories, too, and I don't care what his motivations are as long as he's accomplishing something for us."

Quelle ironic that, all these years later, Kameny and Reichen would end up on the same dais. Each of our perceptions of people cannot help but be subjective. I know relatively little about McGreevy, but I can continue to give him the benefit of the doubt until something concrete persuades me otherwise. However much he might enjoy attention, and be making from his book, I see his message primarily as "Learn from my mistakes."

I know a great deal more about Reichen, both because I was once a believer and because he's been on the scene much longer. I see his message primarily as "Admire me because I'm so sexy and attractive; I'm so good; and I'm doing so much." We can't argue with reason 1, but reasons 2 and 3 could get him investigated for emotional and reality fraud if there technically were such crimes. Virtually all he's "done" somehow becomes more about him than the issues, yet he has the cheek to inform, e.g., Barack O'Bama, upon a chance encounter, that HE's the one leading the fight to overturn DADT.

We certainly need public figures to spread the good word, but when that word is primarily "I" this old skeptic pulls the Bullshit Alarm.

Posted by: Leland | Dec 1, 2006 2:19:01 PM

21. I don't think either of them are to be trusted. McGreevey is just to slick, and Ciple is too peevish. Get over it Golan, you sucked dick.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 1, 2006 2:24:56 PM

22. I wouldn't touch either of them with a ten foot pole. Make that 20 foot pole.

Gross on every level. As for this Cipheleus character, when is he going to move on with his life and stop making press appearances. I'm guessing this is a build up to a potential book deal.

I hate this public cock fight crap.

Posted by: Martin | Dec 1, 2006 4:09:21 PM

23. If either one of these two men expressed an interest in you, sexual or otherwise, you'd not only be flattered - but you'd probably be quick to hop in the sack with him too.

Regarding the "Bisexual" statement that Golan made about McGreevey: It really peeves me when people use the term Bisexual in a negative way. All of a sudden the Gay community is supposed to shun McGreevey becuase he might be Bi instead of totally Gay. Give me a break. It's a shame, though, that McGreevey came out as Gay when in fact he may in fact be Bi. It just goes to show that these days it is even harder to admitt to being Bi rather than Gay.

Over the past couple of decades the Gay communtity has come a long way in creating an acceptable identity for itself, but Bisexuals are still often demonized and have good cause to keep their identity private.

As a 39-year-old Bisexual male I have experienced negative vibes from both the straight AND gay community once my sexual orientation became the topic of conversation (Not to say that Gay men don't experience negative vibes from others). I just hate it when gay people tell me that I am "CONFUSED" or "uncomfortable with my REAL sexuality" (i.e., that I'm really GAY rather than Bi).

What is so hard about understanding and accepting that some people like others from both sexes? Some gay people like to point fingers at everyone they can and say that they are Gay. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves and validates their own sexuality.

Posted by: Charles Roland | Dec 1, 2006 9:08:09 PM

24. Carles I think it comes from how hard many of us gays had to fight so many to come out. I too had a hard time dealing with the whole Bi thing until I went overseas. In Europe sexuality is much more fluid. Here we have so many closet cases like TC & JT that it makes many gays angry. Good luck with your journey and know that they mean you no harm, they just don't know your experience.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Dec 1, 2006 9:13:00 PM

25. Straight-guy Jersey style hair? Actually, I think they're both cute, hair and all. (But, yeah, Cipel is a liar).

Posted by: Joe T. | Dec 2, 2006 8:24:47 AM