Jennifer Hudson Won’t Judge People for What They Do

Jhud_1Newly-minted Dreamgirls diva Jennifer Hudson stepped into precarious territory (as both Carol Channing and fellow American Idol contestant Mandisa well know) in an interview with the Dallas Voice in which the ingenue was asked about the Bible and homosexuality:

As a Baptist who’s singing at circuit party, has Hudson reconciled her spiritual beliefs and her gay fan base? Does she support same-sex marriage?
“Nobody has ever asked me these questions,” she says.
“Everybody sins,” Hudson continues. “No sin is greater or different than the other. To each his own. If it don’t bother Jennifer, then Jennifer don’t mind. I don’t really even think about it because I don’t believe in judging people for what they do.”

When referencing themselves, lots of divas probably do that schizophrenic thing where they toggle between first and third person. But did Hudson just say that being gay is a sin?

“According to the way we’re taught, and what it says in the Bible — it is,” Hudson says.

If her answers didn’t already sound like fundamentalist clichés, Hudson then added, “I have plenty of gay friends.”

A writer fishing for some controversy in a topic which has already ensnared one American Idol contestant (Mandisa was sent packing soon after her interest in Bible-thumping Beth Moore was uncovered) and a seasoned performer (Carol Channing’s recent BibleGate)?

Considering what Hudson told New York’s gay mag. HX (“I think the world of the gay community, and I feel like it’s an honor. The gay community is the hardest community to please, so if they love me, I must be fierce, honey.”) and the Carol Channing misinformation, we’ll put this scandal on hold before jumping to any conclusions.

ADDENDUM: Hudson responds:

In a recent interview, I was asked how I reconciled being a Christian with performing at events for my gay fans. I find it upsetting that some folks equate being a Christian with being intolerant of gay people. That may, unfortunately, be true for some, but it is not true for me. I have talked often of my love and support of the gay community. I have said again and again that it was the gay community that supported me long before and long after AMERICAN IDOL, and kept me working and motivated. It is the gay community that celebrated my voice and my size and my personality long before DREAMGIRLS. Yes, I was raised Baptist. Yes, I was taught that the Bible has certain views on homosexuality. The Bible also teaches us not to judge. It teaches on homosexuality. The Bible also teaches us not to judge. It teaches us to love one another as God loves us all. I love my sister, my two best friends and my director dearly. They happen to be gay. So what? While some search for controversy, I hope that my friends and fans who know me, know where I stand.”

Related articles
Jennifer Hudson Not Judging Her Gay Fans On Their Lifestyle Sins [defamer]
Once upon a Dreamgirl [the advocate]
Boys, She’ll Make You Happy [hx]

You may have missed…
Jennifer Holliday: “I’m Not Going” [tr]
Dreamgirls: A Review — In a Dazzling Adaptation, Jennifer Hudson Rockets to Fame [tr]

Comments

1. James says

Maybe I’m old and cranky, but I care more about what laws are passed than what some singer thinks about the gays.

peace

ps: and before anyone says anything: I thought the exact same thing when Michael Richards went on his rant

2. Leland says

If she’s quoted accurately, then she unquestionably thinks it’s a sin! Let none of thee be fooled by her smile fucking her gay fans. That’s just a mix of “I may be dumb but I’m not dumb enough to piss off the primary people who butter my bread” and “Hate the sin, love the sinner.”

And such hypocrisy goes back further than Donna Summer. Anyone old enough to remember what a gay icon Shirley Bassey once was, and still is to some, might also remember her saying that seeing her friend Peter Finch kiss Murray Head on screen in “Sunday Bloody Sunday” made her sick.

To paraphrase an out author whose name escapes me for the moment, “Those fags are the gay fans who just left the room.”

3. Anita Woodward says

If this were anyone else, Andy would be up in arms. And I’m certainly not saying that he SHOULD be up in arms. In fact, it’s refreshing to see him hold his tongue for once.

I do not know why Andy is critical of the reporter for asking those questions. Jennifer is a Baptist who often performs for gay audiences. How could you not ask those questions? If anyone is showing an agenda here, it’s the blogger.

4. Benito says

so she thinks it’s a sin…plenty of religions think it’s a sin, get over it. What does that have to do with her singing, she is a flash-in-the-pan entertainer, not a supreme court nominee.

5. says

To be honest, I think we’ve reached a point in our assimmilation where people are starting to distinguish between gay sex and gay people. I’m sure there are tons of straights who support our rights and appreciate our contribution but believe what we do in the bedroom is nasty. They know we are still capable of loving one another, participating in society, raising families, etc.

That’s fine with me. I think what straight people do in their bedrooms is pretty fucking gross. But I don’t discriminate against them.

6. just sayin' says

Just like to point out that in certain Asian societies, e.g. Japan, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia etc, it is actually deemed modest and polite to refer to oneself in the third person because, saying “I/me/mine” in a conversation is considered arrogant and egotistical. People who have publicly done so include Taiwan’s Presiden Chen Shui Bian and Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

I guess it’s all about cultural contexts.

7. Anon1 says

So she is suppose to think gay people are not sinners? If her Bible says so, then she will beleive it. If she doesn’t discriminate, or judge, that’s enough.

I’m certainly not interested in people liking me or approving of my sex life. Just as long as they know that I have different beliefs, and they respect my right to live my life honestly.

She’s OK by me, although I’d never invite her to dinner.

8. just sayin' says

n response to the negative reactions caused by the above quote, this is what Hudson wrote in her myspace blog [http://blog.myspace.com/jenniferhudson]:

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

HAPPY/SAD DAY
    Current mood: depressed

It should be a happy day because I heard that the National Board of Review
    picked me as one of the BreakThru Actresses of the Year. What an honor.
    I was so thrilled when I heard. But it turned into a sad day and I can’t
    understand why or how this happened. When you are up, people try to tear
    you down. Some paper is saying that I have a problem with gay people.
    Its just mean and wrong. My feelings are so hurt and I can’t sleep. Anybody
    that knows me, knows that just ain’t true. Its makes me so mad that people
    can twist your words and say anything they want. And, there’s nothing I
    can do about it, except to say,
    please don’t believe everything you read.

9. JOB says

Hudson is making a valiant effort to reconcile her religious beliefs with her respect for gay fans. Instead of b*tching and taking an all or nothing approach, perhaps we should be giving a her a break here. We live in a pluralistic society–glbt folks shouldn’t expect to be loved unconditionally by everyone; I only wish more religious folks displayed the same kind of tolerance of difference displayed by Hudson.

10. Ray J says

Big Deal. According to the Bible it is a sin. Wearing blended fibers is a sin. Eating lobster is a sin. I do them all and I don’t care that according to some traditions they are sins. She is welcome to believe what she wants to believe as long as she doesn’t try to force me to live according to her beliefs, which she clearly does not attempt.

11. PJ says

Oh, here we go—let’s light another torch for our Homophobia Witch Hunt. When did America become a place where everyone was itching to be offended by something? If she thinks being gay is a sin and yet still tolerates and mingles with gay people, I say that’s exactly the kind of Christian that America needs more of! Sounds like a good compromise to me. I never said anyone has to love who I am or what I do–I just don’t want them standing in my way to be it or do it. If gay people start making this fight about changing everyone’s minds to adore them, they’re going to lose, and make themeslves pariahs in the effort.

12. mark m says

Since I posted my thoughts on HX on another thread, I’ve cut and pasted them here:

Several months ago HX did a story on Kim English, a gospel singer-turned dance music diva. The same magazine asked her what her religious views were on homosexuality and she gave a response very similar to Jennifer Hudson.

Some gays were saying that HX was deliberately setting Kim up for a fall so they could sensationalize the story. I gave HX the benefit of the doubt.

Now they have done another story on Jennifer Hudson and asked the same questions of her.

Does anyone see a pattern developing? Before anyone launches into the argument for exposing “enemies among our friends” let me restate Zeke’s position that we are in danger of making enemies of our friends when we corner them on theology.

Two of my best friends are Straight Christians and they say the same thing that Hudson says: that the Bible does not appear to support homosexuality. But they are quick to point out that as Christians they follow the teachings of Christ, who never uttered a word about gays and instead preached tolerance and being non judgmental. So the point is, many Christians choose to put more value in the words of Christ than anything else.

The idea that someone would twist my friend’s words around to paint them as homophobes would send me through the roof.

I’m tired of gay publications taking the stance that they speak for all of us. Or that they ask the questions that are pertinent to all of us. Looking for the seeds of discrimination in someone who is brought up Baptist smells a lot like sensationalism and maybe even religion-phobia. I know I’ll get flamed for that last one. There are plenty of reasons to be skeptical of religioius nutjobs but cornering someone on their religious beliefs concerning what the Bible says about homosexuality is NOT the same as exposing their bigotry.

13. James says

“We live in a pluralistic society–glbt folks shouldn’t expect to be loved unconditionally by everyone; I only wish more religious folks displayed the same kind of tolerance of difference displayed by Hudson.”

Bravo!

14. dc-20008 says

What Ray J said. This person is an “entertainer”. That is not a qualification for which she is given a leadership position in the world.

Next “15 Minute” celebrity, please.

15. says

I don’t feel any reason to attack her personally for views that differ with mine. I disagree with Hudson but I don’t hate her for saying it. I want to educate her about the consequences of equating homosexuals with sin, and basing it on scripture. Because when it comes to celebrities, particularly one whose vehicle, Dreamgirls, is likely to draw massive gay audiences everywhere, we should know how we are being talked about and we should be willing to respond with respect but with conviction. People who enjoy fame and wealth and who may influence our culture are worth observing; not necessarily tearing to shreds, but observing closely. It’s good to know that Jennifer Hudson does not respond to the question about the Bible’s proscription of homosexuality by saying that it is irrelevant to modern life, because obviously she doesn’t believe that. She told us her true belief, even though I disagree with her entirely, I am willing to listen to it. She says homosexuality is a sin (albeit tempering that response by noting that sin is ubiquitous). She repeats the tired saw of religionistas. She (unknowingly, I assume) repeats the justification for so much anti-gay hatred, discrimination and even violence not only in this country, but world wide. She probably doesn’t realize the gravity of these words. Ironically, she probably did not consider that the Bible was used as a justification for segregation and slavery, as well. No surprise she was so pro-gay when interviewed by a gay magazine. Channing…. well she is an elderly woman, but clearly when she caught on to the problem she tried to correct the impression. Without reducing this to name calling, I think it’s best to reach out to help educate those who throw around terms like “sin” carelessly. We should always remember that even those who might seem to be our allies may hold simultaneously contradictory thoughts about us. Everyone has room to grow, and I’m optimistic. Maybe Hudson will work to change the “impression” that she thinks we are sinners. Maybe Hudson’s single comment doesn’t matter that much in the long run, but in the aggregate those who capture the public imagination and who are in the spotlight do have a chance to persuade and inform. I will have a difficult time forgetting that comment when I see Dreamgirls. We don’t need everyone to adore us, we need to be treated like equals. As long as we are all second class citizens (or worse) under the law, all comments that dehumanize us should be carefully considered and, in the right context, responded to constructively.

16. says

As someone who was raised Catholic, I myself have struggled with the whole is it a sin thing. Yea, the Bible says it’s a sin blah blah blah. For me, it came down to, do I care what an old books says about me? It took a few years, but I decided no. Jennifer’s young and straight. She doesn’t struggle with this stuff like some of us are forced to. Give her a break. She’ll come around.

17. AC says

The real point is Hudson is actively seeking financial benefit and a boost for her career specifically from a gay audience whilst maintaining what could be construed as conditional support for that group. Of course she is entitled to her “beliefs” but we are entitled and should vote with our pocketbooks accordingly.

18. Jonathan says

I think she was completely unprepared for the question (by her own admission) and she handled it as best she could based on where she comes from. I truly believe she has no problem with gay people. But she also knows what the bible says. And basically she just said “it’s not up to me, it’s up to god.” Unfortunately, she used the word “sin” which isn’t putting her best foot forward, but she explained herself the best way she knows how. I actually feel sorry for her a little. By all accounts, she’s incredibly sweet. And you cannot compare Mandisa’s horrible remarks or even the diatribe by Kim English to this. Mandisa is a homophobe and Kim English is a seasoned pro who didn’t seem to understand where her bread was buttered. She should have known better.

19. yeahisaidit says

….off topic…why does the gay community seem to idolize, embrace and live for the warblings of homophobic black female recording artists at a higher standard than butch black gay men? …and before anyone gets their panties in a wad, i’m just asking because i’m actually curious what people think…

20. Leland says

Thursday, December 7th, which I thought was Pearl Harbor Day, turns out to be National Pussy Day. If she cares so much about her gays fans then she should be careful what she says in interviews [again assuming she was quoting accurately] that could be misinterpreted by those less “loving.” What part of “What celebrities say have a great deal of influence on what their fans think and DO”? It shouldn’t necessarily BE that way, but it is. That’s why what Eminem sings about is important, even tho he was ok enough with “the fags” to do a duet with Elton John. How much did those five minutes influence his millions of fans versus their piping his hate-filled lyrics over and over and over into their heads with their iPods?

Bless her, Hudson is almost to the opposite end of the spectrum, but labeling it sin reinforces that POTENTIALLY inflammatory nonsense to her fans who haven’t set foot in a church in years but still have/had their value systems shaped by religion–most importantly what they DO with it, whether it simply be voting against us in their polling place or killing us in their parks. No, I don’t give a flying fuck who hates me, but it is only common sense to be vigilant about those who fly off at the mouth about it without thinking of its possible ramifications. That’s why yelling “Fire!” in a crowded theater is legally actionable not just free speech. America has turned into an anxious “crowded theater” vis-a-vis gay rights and safety. She’s not yelling “Sin!” of course, but if Eminem’s lyrics and those of Benjie Man or whatever the fuck his name is, and those of other homophobic reggae “artists” are important—and they are—then what people say in interviews is, too. She is an “influencer” whether you believe/like it or not. So, yes, it IS important to know and discourage. I seem to recall that when Channing was accused, many here flamed her. I guess if one is not a young diva or a hot man then you’re subject to different standards than those who are.

21. chrisnyc says

Is people cared about the “other sins” and tried to pass laws preventing eating shell fish, playing with a pigskin, and working on saturday, then I wouldn’t care. We seem to be the one “sin” everyone still cares about. And it’s mostly because of incorrect interpretations of the Bible. There is a plethora of information available about how many of the anti-gay passages have been mis-translated over the centuries by people with a personal problem with homosexuality. Using a potentially incorrect book as an excuse for thinking what two people who love each other do is wrong (but doesn’t bother you) is hypocritically and lazy.
    Religion should never be an excuse for hate…it should be the solution.

22. 000000 says

^
    That’s simple. The gay community at large is more than happy to portray masculine black men as extinct while promoting the stereotype of their undesirably effiminate counterparts. How better to marginalize them on the basis of race even more than usual, and choose to see nothing in common?

Interesting, we should reserve judgement on Hudson, yet immediately twist Holliday’s words against her and assume she’s steamed because nobody let her play a teenager.

23. James says

“So, yes, it IS important to know and discourage. I seem to recall that when Channing was accused, many here flamed her. I guess if one is not a young diva or a hot man then you’re subject to different standards than those who are.”

Oh please Leland. Be it a grandmother figure or some guy folk want to bone, they are entertainers. They pass no laws and don’t set policy. So what comes out of their mouths is really of no import. People can get all bent out of shape by what these folk say (free speech for all), but I would rather spend time dealing with people who have actual power. Not some famous person who can only get mentioned on Page 6.

24. Chris says

This girl is in a precarious situation. It must be difficult to be famous, and try to sell a movie to mainstream America (which is mostly homophobic middle american white trash) while being true to yourself. She loves the gays. If ever there was a “fag hag”, Id say Jennifer Hudson was the epitome of one..but should she come out with a rainbow flag and make all of middle america hate her before they even know who she is?

25. Leland says

Eva Gabor wigs off to Lavi for making the point I left out. I’m not calling for her head [yet], but someone should attempt to educate her. Nota Bene she did not retract or deny having said it is a sin on her site. Hasn’t, apparently, demanded a retraction/correction by the magazine. Why don’t you try to interview her, Andy? You’d be much better, in a kind way, at getting her to say exactly what she means, or doesn’t. Then we can decide an appropriate response—or none. And, either way, the castrati residents of Rebecca’s Sunnybrook Farm can continue living in their fantasy world.

26. Anon says

To my ears she just sounds plain ol’ stupid: No sin is greater or different than the other. Where did she get that idea? She hasn’t thought about this at all. Is she unmarried and having sex too? Her “beliefs” are not merely unexamined, they are like costume jewelry. In her defense, she is probably not a Southern Baptist, since they were essentially segregationists. Black Baptist churches, which range from liberal to conservative, have a different history. She had best communicate only through her music and performances.

27. mark m says

“No, I don’t give a flying fuck who hates me, but it is only common sense to be vigilant about those who fly off at the mouth about it without thinking of its possible ramifications.”

Leland, with all due respect (and that’s sincere, not glib) you and I have both had our moments when we have flown off at the mouth without thinking of the ramifications.

Haven’t we?

Now I totally agree that celebrities do have influence on some of the populace and yes, we should pay attention to what direction the wind blows in the court of public opinion.

But I think you are setting a standard that is so high as to be nearly unreachable: Celebrities must be perfect and flawless in every action they take and every word that comes out of their (many times) young and naive mouths.

That is just not the world we live in and when we are able to take this kind of instance with a grain of salt instead of grabbing our torches and pitchforks, then we can help educate celebrities on how their words can sometimes have the wrong effect.

No, it’s not National Pussy Day. I prefer to think of it as Put Down the Stone Day.

28. Daniel says

She’s a very young woman from a Christian background. We’ve got real issues in the world to worry about–why are our gay magazines digging up controversy like this when gay people are vanishing in Iraq, being executed in various places around the world, when our rights are being voted away all over our country, and we are still being bashed regularly. It’s all a silly distraction.

29. says

I’m not seeing where she has said that she believes homosexuality is a sin. Granted, I am only using the quotes posted on this blog; perhaps somewhere else she has said this.

What she has said is that she was taught that the Bible has certain views on homosexuality. And it does. Just because she was taught something, though, doesn’t mean that she’s incorporated it into her daily life.

30. says

I’m very disappointed to see that yet another “celeb” with “big” gay following thinks we are sick sinners. Unless she claims the interview was all made-up, I am done with her. Just like I am done with Mandisa, Mel Gibson (for both anti-Semitism and homophobia), Michael Richards…

31. Jahon says

You guys are utterly ridiculous! Her own sister is a lesbian. I truly don’t feel that she hates gay people. The gay community tries to seek acceptance/admiration from everyone, but that’s not what it’s about. Personally, I just want to be viewed as an equal. I grew up as an african-american male in a southern bapist church; I understand Hudson’s logic. The truth, everyone does sin. The bible does not place any emphasis on which sin is greater, except for the commandments. I had a difficult time battling my belief in religion and my desires. Let’s use some caution before we all get up in arms about one comment that she has made. Hell, my best friend is straight and we have argued over gay rights and whether or not I was sinner, but I still love him and he still loves me. It’s ok to have different views.

32. CaliNexus says

Oh NO… another day of fits. It amazes me how people latch onto one sentence…a alledged quote they were not witness to when alledgedly uttered…a statement that could be missing a critical “however…”. Anyone with half a brain wouldn’t fall for media quotes…they’re one sided until the interviewee responds. The addendum paragraph…if I must embrace any of it…satisfies me. Give the lady a break. SOME OF YOU ARE MEAN, WACK-MOUTHED BITCHES…always ready to boil someone in your jaded brew. Again, I say: karma is a motherfucker.

33. James says

“James, you’re a dangerous moron. How is her publicly saying it’s sin any less important than Jerry Falwell saying it’s sin. Or do you think his isn’t either?”

Ooooooh, Daddy. Tell me more. I just thought I was a moron as opposed to being a “dangerous moron.” I could continue the name calling,but I’ll answer your question. Rev. Falwell talks to presidents and runs organizations that seek to pass anti-gay laws. Ms. Hudson only sings songs (bad ones at that….grin). Therefore when Rev. Falwell opens is mouth it’s time to say something and speak up. As for the political musings of Ms.Hudson, I could care less. Any other questions for this “dangerous moron” Mr. Leland?

peace to you and yours

34. peterparker says

What she is saying is basically exactly what Jimmy Carter said about homosexuality in his recent book “Our Endangered Values: America’s Moral Crisis”. In the book he said that, according to the Bible, homosexuality is a sin…and then he ripped into the fundamentalists for elevating homosexuality to a sin greater than adultery or other ‘lower level’ sins. He wrote about the fact that we are all sinners in certain ways and that one sin should not be judged as more abhorrent than another sin…nor should any ‘type’ of sinner be judged. And he made it very clear that he believed GLBT people deserved the same protections under law as the rest of American citizens.

Hudson is basiclly saying the same thing: that we are all sinners, but that the Bible teaches us not to judge. I think her overall message is one of the need to love others and not judge them.

I have no problem with what Jennifer has said.

35. AG says

What part of “Everybody sins” are people not reading here? She’s putting every man, woman, and child in the same sinful boat to Hell. Pull up a mai tai with me and get over it.

Yeah, it’s a religious thing. Religions teach a lot of wacky things. Eating pork is wrong. Not having children is punishable in the afterlife. Disobedient children should be stoned. The unborn are fully alive, and your troubles already start there, since when you’re born, you’re born into sin. And, yes, homosex is a sin. This is news to you…how, exactly?

Don’t shoot the messenger. Religion is not pick-and-mix what you like about it and ignore the rest. That’s apostasy, or you find a religion Brand X that doesn’t tell you to avoid lobster and buttsecks.

If she singled out Teh Gays and was overtly contemptuous, that would be one thing and easily solved: $$$ elsewhere.

However, she did not, but the interviewer tried to make it seem like she did. Nor did she get on a soapbox and go out of her way to denounce gays. The reporter fished for it.

“Everybody sins,” she said. For all of our talk about inclusiveness, we sure like to single ourselves out.

36. Giovanni says

Man I guess you really can’t fuck with the Knowles – Mama Tina put a creole spell on Ms Hudson and it seems to be working… oh to be so easily manipulated.

BTW – The bible does say that homosexuality is a sin – it also says that the universe was created in six days – so what? Hudson is clearly not a homophobe and to imply otherwise is ridiculous.

37. Cory says

off topic, but I find it amusing that people post dozens of comments on what a celebrity singer said about being gay compared to 23 regarding homosexual “genocide” in the Middle East. Seems we, as a “gay” society, may have our priorities confused…

38. condihater says

Oddly enough, I have a baptist missionary brother who is probably one of the sweetest people I know…both he and his wife. And he has no problem with me. I have another brother who is not christian (he’s deep into the 1/600th of our American Indian ancestory and is an officer in M.I.A.) and he has a major problem with me just hugging him. So, go figure. And, remember Leviticus is in the old Jewish bible….not the Christian part of the bible. Christ said that everything that has come before him is washed away. Leviticus is irrelevant to true Christians.

39. Leland says

I, for one, don’t have my priorities confused. Neither do I compartmentalize realities. It is not “either/or.” The two threads are linked in that both her alleged statement and the gay murders in Iraq have the same origin: religion. We can do virtually nothing about what happened in Iraq because of the indifference to gay lives by this government. Condi’s pocket pansies might convince her to issue a statement condemning it, but, without insisting that protecting gays be a part of “rebuilding” Iraq, the statement would be meaningless. The insanity train has left the station. They slaughter gays, they slaughter disobedient women, they slaughter internatinal peacekeepers and humanitarian aid workers, they slaughter those fellow Muslims who interpret their religion slightly differently. The wind shifts and they slaughter someone else. In the name of religion. In the name of their scripture. In the name of “sin.”

However, we can attempt to prevent things from getting worse here by denouncing those who contribute, to WHATEVER degree, to our demonization, and, she doesn’t have to say she hates gays [and I don’t believe she does, in any case] to be a part of that. Every drop of ignorance and bigotry contributes to the river. The contretemps here is insignificant. It is not representative of the community as a whole which, as too many here, has simply poo-pooed such behavior, turned the other cheek so many times in the last 30 years as the extremists have grown more and more powerful that verbally attacking us has become a literal industry, from which its leaders make millions. With rare exception, even the most liberal Democrat, including those with histories of fighting against racial injustice, even before that was generally accepted, are willing, for political expediency if nothing else, say we still belong in the back of the bus. I might have to keep voting for them over their worse opponents, but it’s ZERO TOLERANCE for anyone else.

40. Peter J. says

I can honestly say that I think everyone who’s written on this topic is pathetic, as I do most of the time when reading your responses to topics.

Simply put, you’re a bunch a arm chair activists who spend more time crafting your dumb ass responses to these news teases than you do in helping the community (or yourself).

That’s all. Back to your regularly scheduled boring lives.

41. Amanda says

Some gay WHITE people are so ignorant about African American culture. Why can’t these white gay publications just leave this girl alone. Big deal if gays like Jennifer. She’s an entertainer her job is to entertain not engage in politics. She’s no symbol for homosexuals she’s an artist. LEAVE THE GIRL ALONE.

The white gays know nothing about the black church, about black Christian values and beliefs or morals. Why don’t the white gays talk to African American homosexuals about homophobia in the black community? Duh, homosexuality is NOT ACCEPTED. Some white gays are so stupid they think because Jennifer Hudson is African American she’s supposed to “support” the gay lifestyle. Why because she’s already a minority. GIVE ME A BREAK! The ignorance of white gays about the African American community is very shocking. Why don’t these white gay men on this site go to their local library pick up Essex Hemphill, James Earl Hardy, E Lynn Harris, Keith Boykin, Randal Keenan. And even watch Noah’s Arc then they would learn something about homophobia in the African American community.

42. SFpolitic says

I personally watched her sing to 2,000 gay men on an Atlantis Cruise to Mexico just last month and she is a kind,loving,YOUNG lady who resonated nothing but love and kindness to all her gay male fans. Her voice is truely amazing and her incredibly friendly personality are endearing(unlike all the other whiny divas complaining all the time),so I can understand how Beyond- Say and other less talented singers/actors are threatened by her talent but for the gay media to portray her as homophobic is just beyond comprehension. We are our own worst enemy sometimes. With the internet and relevent sites like this that actually report gay NEWS does anyone even read the gay rags anymore? She deserves better.

43. Cory says

I’m not ignorant of homophobia in any community. I usually assume someone is homophobic until I learn otherwise. As for the African-American community, homophobia is HUGE, HUUUUGE. Then again, black men having sex with each other on the d.l. is also HUGE. Go figure…

44. Amanda says

And what about Ted Haggard, and Jim Mcgreevey they are white men and they were on the DL. Any person of any race can be on the DL. Your comments just express your bigotry and prejudice.

45. Cory says

wtf? are you kidding me Amanda? back off honnie, you don’t know shit about shit or me. It’s obvious you have a chip on your shoulder, I suggest taking care of it and never EVER fuckin call me a racist bitch

46. AC says

Wait a minute, where did the accusation that her responses made her a raging “homophobe” come from ??? No one is accusing her of that, but as Leland and Lavi Soloway say, her invoking the word “sin” shows a subtlety to her support that we should be aware of.

47. says

I don’t think so.

This is a non-issue. I’ve got friends who think my eating pork is a sin yet they still chill with me when I’m diggin into a pork chop. Triviality, I know but the point is there are PLENTY of other so-called Christians out there saying homosexuality is a sin and then calling for our heads. Andy just posted about the travesty of the LGBT in Iraq. I mean, c’mon. My Christian upbringing called for love bein the greatest commandment above any and everything else written in the Bible. I think Jen is following this principle and, while I’d rather her not relegate my existence to a sin, I’m appreciate the position she’s taken.

As well though, people are entitled to interpret her beleifs as they see fit and she, unfortunately, has to deal with those who don’t see it as I do.

48. Leland says

George Bush is not proposing that people who like pork chops be taken out of the US Constitution. 27 states have not constitutionally banned gays from eating pork chops. Michael Sandy was not lured over the Internet to his beating, robbery, and death in traffic because he liked Uncle Nate’s Pork Barbeque. The guys in Balboa Park in San Diego this summer weren’t stabbed and beaten with a baseball bat because they liked Jimmy Dean sausage. Gays aren’t forbidden from adopting children in Florida because they like Cuban roast pork. Gay kids in school aren’t terrorized because the mystery meat in the cafeteria that day might have pork in it. They aren’t being kicked out of their homes because they asked for ham instead of turkey for Thanksgiving dinner. Reality check! Linkage! Unintended consequences!

49. Zeke says

I was going to stay out of this one because I think it’s a whole lot of hoopla over nothing but alas I just can’t help but put my two cents in.

First let me say, as I’ve said many times before, let’s not go looking for enemies among our friends.

This is a perfect example of how I think we do ourselves a serious disservice by overreacting to statements, or even to assumptions about statements, made by otherwise gay friendly people.

If this young lady wasn’t anti-gay before all of this flaming hysteria I can’t imagine how she won’t become a homophobe after the way it is being handled by so many in our community.

The girl said that it was her understanding that the Bible says homosexuality is a sin. That’s my understanding as well. It’s also my understanding that the Bible says that it’s a sin for a slave to disobey his master and it’s a sin to wear wool/linen blend clothing and it’s a sin to eat shrimp, oysters, lobster and catfish. So what? I also understand that Bush thinks we’re winning in Iraq and that gay families are a threat to the moral fiber of this country; that doesn’t mean I believe it.

I have no problem with people comparing the “sin” of homosexuality with the sin of eating/touching pork/pigs, or the sin of planting corn in the same field as wheat, or the sin of working/walking/playing/having sex on Saturday. Doing this puts the Biblical prohibition into perspective as it pertains to modern society.

Where I do take exception with Ms. Hudson and others, even others here, is when they promote this idea that homosexuality is a sin by modern standards but is no worse a sin than adultery or any number of other acts that one person may do that harms another person or society. I really resent having my family relationship of love and commitment compared to, and equated with, lying, cheating, stealing etc., but being from a conservative Southern Baptist background myself I understand where this young lady is coming from. More importantly I understand that the way to challenge her and others, especially other gay-positive religious people, is to educate them rather than berate them.

This girl is not anti-gay, homophobic or gay unfriendly. It is hysterical and ridiculous to accuse her of such things based on this one statement. I don’t know too many homophobes who are proud of their gay sister and two gay best friends.

I hope to God that Ms. Hudson has Christian/Spiritual gay people close to her that can kindly and thoughtfully explain to her why her statement was hurtful and educate her about putting the Biblical references into historical perspective rather than inappropriately and inaccurately screaming at her about what a raging homophobe she is. I have no doubt that if this happens she will continue to grow in her understanding of and appreciation for gay people whether they are her fans or not.

I’m not saying that we shouldn’t strongly and passionately counter homophobia and homophobes. Lord knows I’m the first to jump into that scrap. I’m just saying we need to know the difference between an enemy and a friend and we need to encourage rather than discourage progress among our friends.

Let’s be honest for just a moment. How many of us could have stood up to this kind of scrutiny over our attitudes about homosexuality when we were young? How many of us endured this kind of attack when we said something stupid while coming to grips with our own sexual identity? How unfair and hypocritical is it then for GAY people who struggled with their understanding of homosexuality at one time to be so harsh on a young straight girl, with a religious background, who is in the VERY public process of learning and growing? Now let’s think about what brought US around. Was it being berated by hysterical out gay people? Was it being called homophobe and any number of other names? Or was it education, experience and a kind word of instruction from a thoughtful person?

Can’t we give Ms. Hudson at least half of the break that we ourselves were given?

I would suggest that Ms. Hudson and any other person who struggles with reconciling their faith with their understanding of homosexuality check out, “A Letter to Louise” at Godmademegay.com. It is the most inspired, thoughtful, well researched and beautifully presented studies on the Bible and homosexuality that I’ve ever read. The most amazing thing about this letter is the fact that is was written by an elderly, straight, married Baptist minister. I know that even talking about the Bible and Christianity turns a lot of people off but for those of you who identify as Christians I would highly recommend going to this site and reading the letter in its entirety.

I’m sorry I’m not able to express myself as concisely as most others here. I speak from my heart but unfortunately my heart is too often long winded.

Peace.

50. James says

“George Bush is not proposing that people who like pork chops be taken out of the US Constitution. 27 states have not constitutionally banned gays from eating pork chops. Michael Sandy was not lured over the Internet to his beating, robbery, and death in traffic because he liked Uncle Nate’s Pork Barbeque…..”

Okay, but last time I checked Ms. Hudson is only a singer and really has nothing to with what gets in the Constitution. And unless I missed something, she had nothing to do with Sandy’s murder. But what do I know? I’m just a “dangerous moron.”

peace

51. Leland says

Thanks, Zeke, for the link. Gosh, he’s even more long-winded than you and I put together. LOL. But I look forward to reading it all. As I’ve written before, too many of our “leaders” have not even tried to speak to the antigay faithful, or, when they have, have failed because they don’t know how to speak “their language,” as it were.

52. CaliNexus says

Bible this, Bible that… if your faith isn’t something you can feel in your heart and soul, guiding you to be a better person, and you’re relying on a man-made book to show us the way… you’re in trouble. A) English language bibles are less than 700 years old; B) it was translated by MAN from ancient script on scrolls, which had no spaces or punctuation; C) Peace and Love should be bible enough; D) you have a right to believe what you will, but at least be intelligent about it. …Enough with the thumping…

53. Kurt says

I say we follow Zeke’s suggestion above and utilize another aspect of Christian theology called grace and give Jennifer a break. Geez, if she actually read all this ranting, I’d think she’d be hard pressed to even want to talk to another gay person. I’m sure Jennifer’s understanding of this issue will keep growing and changing as she does. Lord knows, I don’t have everything figured out. With the attitude being spewed on this blog, it sure sounds like a few of you guys think that you do.

54. RJ says

Who needs to see the Dreamgirls movie? I think we can get our fill of divas and melodrama right here in this comments section.

(Thanks, Zeke, for being a rational voice in the midst of a hysterical mob.)

55. rock says

Listen to Hudson sing the song then to Holiday, Hudson is a good singer but Holiday has the “feeling” when she belts out, “and I’m telling you”, there is no comparison, imo. Goosebumps.
    I have also like Beyonce’ but the music she creates on this disc is incredible! Best she has ever done, it shows her range.

56. blksung says

Get off Jenny’s back. I think it is a sin, and yes, I’m Gay MYSelF!!!! Hold on….b4 you queens start some rant and ravin. you have to understand the culture of being both black and raised in church. you can harbor these feelings FOREVER, but at the end of the day, u are who u are and thats it. It takes a while to figure things out, so dont start attacking me. I am just lending my opinion. But ChrisB, to start name-callin is bogus and quite “gay”. LOL. furthermore, you say, gays are lining her pockets by buying her CDs. Guess what? SHE AINT GOT NO CDs OUT YET!!!! So, stop flippin that “fierce” switch and get the facts right first!!!! To everybody else, have a very gay day!!

57. jasmine says

well let me start off by saying that im a very big fan of j-huds. shes a great singer and a great actress. she deserves everything that god has blessed her with and everything that he will bless her with in the future. im a christian and im bi-sexual. yes i know its wrong and yes its against the word of god but thats just how i am. but anyway jenifer has already let us know how much she loves us. she appreciates the gay community. so wats all the fuss about? and even if she had a problem with gays thats her bizzness. and it doesnt change the fact that shes a great singer and actress. i love you j-hud and keep doin what you doin. call me wit yo sexy self lol!!!!! just playin. you are sexy tho love ya!!!!!!

58. (*fAiThFuL*) says

o ma goodness!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant beleive some of the stuff yall say on here about jennifer hudson. ok imma christian and the bible says that homosexuality is a sin. and it iz!!!!! so why get mad cuz she spoke the truth? and just becuz she said that doesnt mean that she hates homosexual people. as one of jennifers biggest fans i can truly say that im hurt by some of the comments yall post about her. ya comments are rude disrespectful and uncalled for. how could yall spend so much time hatin on one person? its so childish. get ova ya self. yall dont even know her and ya judgin her. shes such a beautiful person inside and out. if you dont like her so much why spend all ya time postin ya dumb comments about her? yall be on her jock. please get off her jock!!!!!!!! let the girl breathe. dont hate appreciate. j-hud aint do nuttin wrong. j-hud if you readin this please know that i love you to deaf your ma favorite singer and actress. keep doin wat you doin and dont even think about these hatahz. i pray that god keeps on blessin you cuz you deserve it all. god bless you and i love you
    (*fAiThFuL*)

59. kristen says

This subject is always one that causes much controversy. Along with any topic about sinful lifestyles, religion, and opinions, it is ordinary to have different views and beliefs. I happen to be a Christian, and what I love most about Christianity is that it never changes. The Bible never changes, the morals are always the same, and most importantly, God never changes. It is stated clearly in Leviticus 18:22 – “Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.” Leviticus 20:13 – “If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.” Yes! So in simpler terms, homosexuality is indeed a sin and is not approved in the house of the Lord. There are inumerable amounts and types of sins that one can commit and neither of them are worse or better than the other. They are all equally accounted as a sin. So the fact that Jennifer Hudson proclaims and restates what is already written in the gospel, is perfectly fine. She is not judging anyone or diminishing anyone based on their lifestyle, but she is simply declaring what is in the Bible. The Bible also teaches us to love thy neighbor as we love ourselves, and not to judge people, for we are all sinners and have fallen short of the glory of God. “Do not judge so that you will not be judged” Matthew 7:1 While you may be homosexual, I am a theif, or a cheater etc. We all struggle with sin that from time to time tends to tempt us, which is all the reason why we are expected not to judge others. Even when we do sin, watch this….God forgives us, and always loves us. I mean, what man would die on the cross for our sins? I wouldn’t do it for the world, would you? John 3:17 “For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. 18 “He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. So it is evident that Jesus loves us despite how much we sin and fall short of his glory. Jennifer Hudson is an annointed woman who touches the lives of many through her singing, acting, persona, etc. Although I have not had the chance to actually sit down and talk to her, I am pretty sure that she meant no harm, and she was just reinforcing what she was taught as a child, and what she read as an adult. She has every right to call a spade a spade, as so do you.

60. dd says

Clearly, she is saying that she doesnt have a problem with it. When I watched her special on Behind the Music, she is clearly a fag hag and loves gay people. I was raised Baptist too. i happen to be gay and have been spoon-fed the rhetoric that gays go to hell too. As a gay man who loves GOD, I know better. JHUD is not a homophobe and shouldnt be labeled as such. My best friend is a str8 female, who doesnt agree with my lifestyle, but doesnt treat me any different. the same applies for me when I foudn out she had two abortions. At the end of the day, LOVE ME!! (Curtis was supposed to …. LOL, dreamgirls fans), Naw, Love me, even if you dont agree with me!!!