Football (American) | Gay Slurs | Joey Porter | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Joey Porter Issues "Apology" for "Fag" Slur

Pittsburgh Steeler Joey Porter issued an apology after practice on Tuesday for calling Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow, Jr. a "fag" in comments to media outlets after a game last Thursday.

Porter"You know, that was probably a poor choice of words. So if I offended anybody, I apologize for that...I don't know ... I guess because how we used that word freely, me growing up using that word, I didn't think anything of it. Like I said, I apologize to anyone I may have offended. I didn't mean to offend anybody but Kellen Winslow. That's pretty much that. I don't want to put any more into it...Whatever I say is going to be on an extra level anyway. But like I said, I didn't think it was that big of a deal when I said it anyway. So it's over with it."

Porter just doesn't get it. Would Michael Richards use of the N-word been any less offensive if he had insisted he only meant it for one person in his audience?

And apparently coach Bill Cowher and teammate Deshea Townsend don't get it either:

"On Monday, Steelers coach Bill Cowher called Porter's homosexual reference 'inappropriate,' but suggested that Porter wasn't necessarily attacking anyone's sexual preference. Steelers cornerback Deshea Townsend agrees. 'That's how the game goes,' Townsend said. 'Joey was just expressing his opinion after someone cheap-shotted one of our guys. Joey was just standing up for one of his teammates.'"

Since when does the word "fag" not attack anyone's sexual preference?

A fine from the NFL has not yet been issued.

You may have missed...
Pittsburgh Steeler Joey Porter Calls Opponent a Fag [tr]

Comments

1. I'm sorry, so where was that apology?

Posted by: Derrick | Dec 13, 2006 9:44:35 AM

2. No wonder gay NFL players don't come out. Jeesh.

Posted by: James | Dec 13, 2006 9:44:47 AM

3. "So if I offended anybody..": the classic non-apology apology that places the blame on the offended party for inferring offense (where it was actually intended). Why do idiots who say offensive things always say "if I" instead of simply saying "sorry"?

Posted by: noah | Dec 13, 2006 9:51:33 AM

4. Notice how he was putting on his earrings as he made his stupid fag comments

Posted by: Vincent | Dec 13, 2006 9:54:48 AM

5. It's sad that that this enviroment allows young men & men to toss the word "fag" around like a football and no one blinks an eye. But use the "N" word and the whole world shits its pants. Shameful.

Posted by: mikey | Dec 13, 2006 9:55:02 AM

6. If the media had not picked up what Porter said, he would not be making any attempt at an apology.

And a piss-poor apology it is, in my opinion: qualified, defensive and ignorant.

Posted by: LiamOg | Dec 13, 2006 10:01:20 AM

7. Let's face it, most black people are ghetto and not very educated, this guy only helps to prove that. And those people always wonder why they are never treated equally by the rest of society.

They havent earned it.

Posted by: andre | Dec 13, 2006 10:02:38 AM

8. Whoah Andre... let me distance myself from your comment as I have black friends who call your viewpoint as bigoted as any derrogatory word that came out of Porter's mouth.

Yeah it was a pathetic apology. And people need to be educated that the word is every bit as inappropriate as the N word.

But Porter has a point. "Fag" is thrown around about as often as the N word by some black people. They also like the word "bitch"... it's usually meant to emmasculate someone they don't like. They use the N word sometimes in jest but many times it's the "a" on the end instead of the "er" they say is the difference. The result is usually the same: Knock someone down a peg.

As half-assed as that apology was... there was a time when there would have been NO attempt at an apology -- when no one would have blinked and no public statement would be issued. The fact that someone felt he needed to says that things are changing.

Slowly. But they ARE changing.

Posted by: mark m | Dec 13, 2006 10:12:00 AM

9. He was ONLY standing up for one of his teammates. If everyone does it, that's just how the game goes and it's unpunishable, right?
    Jesus, the coach is apologizing for him like he's a small child. I guess behavior standards are just that low in the NFL.

Posted by: burnssuit | Dec 13, 2006 10:15:48 AM

10. I hate it when people use the term, Sexual Preference. As if I prefer cock over pussy on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.And leave the gina to the weekends only.

WTF!

Posted by: Blair | Dec 13, 2006 10:24:20 AM

11. Andre said: "Most black people are ghetto and not very educated.."

Andre, thanks for showing that just as there homophobic African-Americans there are racist gay men who have no shame expressing their disgusting bigotry!

Jeez, could you be any more of a fool? What the hell? You think you impress anyone by revealing your racism?

How are you any different from this guy? Answer: you're not. You're both comfortable in letting your inner, dumbass bigot out on display.

Posted by: noah | Dec 13, 2006 10:31:27 AM

12. Andre,

Maybe you should take a history class. Last time I checked equality in America has nothing to do with "earning it." Neither the Declaration of Independence nor the Constitution make that type of argument. So please take your ignorance somewhere else. Thanks buddy!

peace

Posted by: James | Dec 13, 2006 10:46:43 AM

13. I have to admit that what Porter said rings true - a lot of people don't really think about their use of "fag," they've just been trained to use it as the slur of choice. I agree that it should be considered as offensive as racial/ethnic/religious slurs, this is the sort of process we need to try to educate people.

Posted by: Marc | Dec 13, 2006 10:54:35 AM

14. If he offended anybody? What an asshole!

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 13, 2006 11:11:33 AM

15. I grew up in the rural South and heard the word "nigger" used often by the people around me.

Does than then give me carte blanche to use it as an epithet? Of course not!

Regardless of how the word is used, it is offensive. The same goes for "fag", "faggot", "fairy", "queer", etc. Even when used in jest, they are hurtful and demeaning.

American sports are plagued with homophobia. Hell, AMERICA is plagued with homophobia, but it seems we most often hear anti-gay epithets coming from the mouths of sports celebrities.

While I don't agree with what Andre wrote, I do think that minorities have a responsibility to stop perpetuating hate language. Gays should indeed be less bigoted towards other minorities, but so should folks like Porter and the many other athletes who may share his homophobia.

Tearing down another group is no way to build up your own. Leave that to conservatives.

Posted by: Jonathon | Dec 13, 2006 11:11:59 AM

16. I love how Porter sums up his "apology" with "So it's over with" as if he has the right to closing the matter that someone else found his words offensive.

That's not an apology. That's asking to be let off the hook. Those are two very different things.

Posted by: Mona | Dec 13, 2006 11:13:58 AM

17. Andre,

You are part of the problem. You're a bigot for making that statement. Assuming you are a homo, you deserve to be treated equally under the law despite your obvious racist ideas, YOU IDIOT.

Posted by: mikey d | Dec 13, 2006 11:28:58 AM

18. For once I'd like to hear one of these guys say: "yeah, I meant every word of it, too bad!" At least that would be honest.

Posted by: Anon | Dec 13, 2006 11:37:54 AM

19. On qualified "apologies":

To all the issuers of these so-called "apologies" --
    It's really very easy to turn your non-apology into a genuine one. Just change the word "if" to the word "that" and presto! You've apologized. Sometimes it'll come out a little awkward grammatically, but it'll be better than what it was.

Examples
    Before: I apologize _if_ I offended anyone.
    After: I apologize _that_ I offended anyone.

For Joey Porter:
    Before: "So if I offended anybody, I apologize for that ..."
    After: "So that I offended anybody, I apologize for that"

See? Easy. Try it -- we'll like it!

Oh, but here's the catch:
    YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO MEAN IT FOR IT TO BE VALID.

Posted by: tjc | Dec 13, 2006 11:45:49 AM

20. Towleroad has been getting more than its share of trolls lately. I hope and pray that Andre is just trolling here trying to stir up a flame war. If not, then he should be ashamed of himself for his ignorance.

As for Porter; what an ass!!!

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 13, 2006 11:45:58 AM

21. ....Sheesh, again I have to ask, since it involves an element of the topic being discussed here...where are the "FIT FAGGOTS" that REAL JOCK.com is advertising for at the top right hand corner of this site? Is that like ironic or just a coinkidink? sigh,...N.o I.teresting G.ay G.uys E.ver R.espond unless you post the N-word...! Just what in the white liberal hell is going on here, huh?

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Dec 13, 2006 11:46:25 AM

22. I call 'em the way I see 'em. If you dont like it, go fuck yourself.

There I said it.

Posted by: andre | Dec 13, 2006 11:53:31 AM

23. Andre,
    Obviously you fuck yourself on a regular basis because nobody else with half a brain would touch you. There I said THAT!

TO ANDY, OWNER OF THIS SITE, HOW CAN YOU BE SUCH A HYPOCRITE? REAL JOCK.COM USES THE TERM "FAGGOTS". THEY ARE YOUR SPONSOR! PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED ON THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE PAGE! AND YOU SAY PORTER DOESN'T GET IT??!! ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

To all posters, yeahisaidit and I have been posting this question to you since the first post of this story. And not one of you has responded. So you can criticize this football player but Andy is off limits? WTF? Don't tell me you guys are hypoctites too?

Posted by: soulbrotha | Dec 13, 2006 12:12:31 PM

24. SoulBrotha,

Is it at all possible that rather than being hypocritical, some of us have never been to the REALJOCK website and have no idea what they do there?

If what you say is true then yes I would have a problem with that just as I would be if Towleroad linked to a site with racial slurs.

Andre, you are as big an ass as Porter.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 13, 2006 12:21:47 PM

25. About this racism stuff--everyone's a little bit racist, right? I'm not sure how the stereotype got planted in my head, but I tend to assume that black americans who don't speak in clear english are homophobic. And this guy just reinforces that belief. Maybe it's unfair to think that, or racist, or whatever, but people evolved the ability to generalize and stereotype for a reason--it helped them live long enough to pass on their genes. Now, I wouldn't say that I fear for my life when I'm around uneducated people (of any race), but I certainly try not to bring up the gay thing until I know their position. So, maybe give Andre a break.

Posted by: pangzi | Dec 13, 2006 12:24:56 PM