Canada | Courtney Love | Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | Genetics | Ireland | Jennifer Hudson | Nature | News | Russia | Saint Petersburg | Travel | Vancouver

News: Red Apples, Vancouver, Jennifer Hudson, Gayle King

road.jpg Survey: Vancouver now Canada's #1 gay travel destination.

Skyscraperroad.jpg Controversial skyscraper planned for Russian city of Saint Petersburg: "The RMJM submission for the skyscraper that will anchor the complex features a spire that changes colour according to the light."

road.jpg The gays have arrived: "Lavender invasion" hits Russia.

road.jpg Jennifer Hudson, who will be performing at a pre-New Year's Eve party in New York on December 30th, tells HX she's ready for gay icon status: "I think the world of the gay community, and I feel like it’s an honor. The gay community is the hardest community to please, so if they love me, I must be fierce, honey."

road.jpg Great piece on gays in the Arab world from this weekend's NYT magazine: "Politicians, the police, government officials and much of the press are making homosexuality an 'issue': a way to display nationalist bona fides in the face of an encroaching Western sensibility; to reject a creeping globalization that brings with it what is perceived as the worst of the international market culture; to flash religious credentials and placate growing Islamist power. In recent years, there have been arrests, crackdowns and episodes of torture. In Egypt, the most populous country in the Arab world, as in Morocco, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates — even in famously open and cosmopolitan Lebanon — the policing of homosexuality has become part of what sometimes seems like a general moral panic."

road.jpg Watching Dreamgirls with Gayle King: one blogger's tale.

road.jpg Over 100 same-sex civil partnership ceremonies have taken place in Northern Ireland since they took effect in December 2005, according to provisional records from the Office of National Statistics in the UK. Over 15,000 have taken place across the UK, says the firm.

Courtneylove_1road.jpg The Queen addresses her subjects from on high.

road.jpg CBS' Cold Case goes Brokeback with gay cop love affair.

road.jpg Scientists discover the "red apple" gene. Researcher: "Apple growers have always known that apple colour is dependant on light – apples grown in darkness or even heavy shade don't turn red when they ripen That made it very likely that the gene we were looking for requires light to be activated. By identifying master genes that were activated by light, Adam was able to pinpoint the gene that controls the formation of anthocyanins in apples, and we found that in green apples this gene is not expressed as much as in red apples."

Comments

1. Wow, Russia's building a giant penis in St. Petersburg. I'd say they wanted to become the new gay capital of Russia (not just the Capital City), but I didn't think Russia was all that friendly to the gays?

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 4, 2006 1:28:21 PM

2. Actually, RYAN, Moscow is the capital of Russia.

That journalist at Pravda is retarded: “Why aren’t you interested in dating girls? Both of you look so handsome.” She must think that only men who are too ugly to land a chick resort to their own sex.

Posted by: borut | Dec 4, 2006 1:40:02 PM

3. I happened to catch Cold Case last night just as a fluke, I'm not a regular watcher. I was surprised by the storyline and actually kind of shocked when I realized what was going on. You don't see that kind of love depicted between men on T.V. It was very "Brokeback Mountain" but it stood on its own and was very moving. It's the kind of thing that makes me think that even though there is still a long way to go in changing hearts and minds about what it means to be gay, the fact that stories like this are on T.V. makes me feel like major progress has been made and it will continue to get better. How ever slow that progress might be.

Posted by: JR | Dec 4, 2006 1:40:27 PM

4. "Gays in the Arab world" another reason to oppose islamic fascists. They are destroying what little normality gay arabs had and using them as scapegoats... hmm like here but with more beheadings, torture and of course Iran's favorite hanging.

Posted by: Tim | Dec 4, 2006 1:41:07 PM

5. Already posting about the superb "Cold Case" episode in the thread below about the NY cops' suit, but the ignorance of the writer at AfterElton is astonishing. First, he seems totally unaware of the fantastic "Cold Case" episode about a murdered gay baseball player in their first season, and refers to Chad Everett as "an old man." Moron.

Posted by: Leland | Dec 4, 2006 1:42:05 PM

6. I checked the Russian version of Pravda and I can't find the article anywhere. I wonder what that's all about.

Posted by: jmg | Dec 4, 2006 1:44:17 PM

7. Chad Everett an old man? Well, Isupppose...He is 69 like. But regardless he's very attractive. I've only seen him in Mulholland Drive but he was very sexy. That scene with him and Naomi Watts is one of the sexiest scene I've ever had the pleasure of seeing.

Anyway, that Pravda article was shocking: "lavender epidemic", being gay ("abnormal") is "faddish", the media are too blame for promoting gays...

Posted by: EireKev | Dec 4, 2006 1:56:15 PM

8. apples are fascinating

Posted by: b mac | Dec 4, 2006 2:15:44 PM

9. I saw a preview of Dreamgirls last week at Paramount in LA. The movie is wonderful, and everyone in it is terrific. Jennifer Hudson does kind of steal the movie, as she has the best role. Beyonce is very good though, as is Eddie Murphy. It should be a smash hit!

Posted by: oh yea | Dec 4, 2006 2:15:57 PM

10. Pravda these days is like the Russian version of The Enquirer, only worse. I was in Russia in October. It's not a bad place to visit, but as a gay man from Canada, I wouldn't want to live there. Russia has a LONG way to go when it comes to acceptance and equality for gays and lesbians.

re Vancouver - it is an amazing city. I'd move there in a flash!

Posted by: Jeff | Dec 4, 2006 2:19:29 PM

11. I caught the Cold Case episode last night as I am an avid fan of the show. Again Jerry Bruckheimer proves he's looking out for us. This is not the first episode that has dealt with gay characters.

The fact that they let this episode speak for itself says much about CBS.

Posted by: TonkaManOR | Dec 4, 2006 2:30:27 PM

12. Hmmm. I'm not certain we can credit Bruckheimer with anything more than staying out of the way. Though this and other relatively gay-friendly projects such as "The Amazing Race" [if you can call repeatedly casting stereotypes friendly] have his name attached, some of his films, such as "The Rock" and "Con Air" have extreme gay stereotypes in them clearly not meant to "help the cause." But I'm open to believing he's changed.

Posted by: Leland | Dec 4, 2006 2:37:14 PM

13. "Pravda" (Truth) has ALWAYS been a one word oxymoron, pre and post Soviet Russia.

That article was the biggest load of sh*t I've read since the last time I visited World Net Daily or The Drudge Report.

Could the writer have used any more anti-gay buzz words or stereotypes? She must be a card carrying member of Concerned Women of Russia, Focus on the Семья and the Russian Семья Association.

Her rhetoric sounds like something straight out of the mouths of Dobson, Perkins and LaBarbara.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 4, 2006 3:00:23 PM

14. I really appreciate the Cold Case storyline, even though I missed last night's episode. It sounds like it was really good. Sorry I missed it.

Having said that, I have to ask: Why is it that Hollywood seems to have exactly two representations of gay men that are acceptable for their film and television features; the out and proud screaming stereotype and the nonstereotypical man who is INVARIABLY married, or in the closet, or dating someone who is?

Don't get me wrong, I love out and proud screaming stereotypes but every once in a while I'd like to see an out and proud nonstereotypical gay couple portrayed in film or television.

Posted by: Zeke | Dec 4, 2006 3:28:08 PM

15. Chad Everett is still very sexy and I've had a crush on him since MEDICAL CENTER! I liked the episode, however, I thought it seemed unlikely the two cops would carry on like that in the police station parking lot.

Posted by: Daniel | Dec 4, 2006 3:35:35 PM

16. My father has apple trees and on one the sunny side turns red and the shady side stays white. Tastes best right off the tree of course. Each side tastes different!

I agree that such a giant building will detract from the St. Petersburg skyline. Tens of Thousands of serfs and prisoners died building the city, they might have more respect. One wonders how they can build the thing in a swamp too.

Amazing how the gay couple interviewed knew more about gayness than the Russian psychologist! "Early childhood issues" my ass!

Sorry I missed Cold Case. They had some sort of AIDS revenge epidsode years ago I caught, but I never watch the show really.

Posted by: Anon | Dec 4, 2006 4:13:08 PM

17. Agree totally, Zeke, but in this show's defense, both of their great episodes, as all must be to one degree or another given the premise of the show ["cold" case as in one that was long enough ago to have been given up on] have been about gay men in periods when there were very few out and proud of any type. Last night's story began in 1968, I believe, and the one about the baseball player was 1964. In both instances the modern day investigators are shown to be gay-positive and, particularly in the earlier episode the gay man's family is shown to have come around to accept them. Suffice it to say that knowing neo-fascist Brent Bozell hated it enough to editorialize about it means it had to be pro-gay.

Posted by: Leland | Dec 4, 2006 4:14:49 PM

18. Отлично дорогой Зик We’ll probably need to swap notes on Monterey.

Posted by: JT | Dec 4, 2006 4:36:33 PM

19. The Pravda piece was awful and cliched, and the "psychologist" interviewed was a joke, spouting off outmoded ideas and laughable theories that James Dobson would be proud of. The story of the nightclub being invaded by submachine-toting thugs was more than scary, though, and it all made me more sorry for gay people in Russia than anything.

Posted by: Patrick M | Dec 4, 2006 10:28:18 PM

20. Woo Hoo! I live in Burnaby... Is Vancouver really that gay? I have to say, not gay enough!

Posted by: Ryan | Dec 5, 2006 3:32:37 AM

21. Well

Guess i'll be watching Cold Case whenever that episode get's screened here in Australia

Just have channel 9 don't cut out any juicy bits...were there any juicy bits?

Posted by: steve | Dec 5, 2006 5:00:50 AM

22. The only reason why Vancouver is #1 is because Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki are filming Supernatural there.

I would go up there just to see if I can spot them. That'll be a fantastic vacation.

/plug for Supernatural (Thursdays, 9/8c on The CW)

/crush for hot Supernatural guys

=p

Posted by: Joel | Dec 5, 2006 6:14:56 AM

23. Oh my gosh

well here i am...almost 5 months after posting my intial comment.

The Cold Case episode just aired here in Australia and it was beautiful. Bravo to the writers and producers...very well done

Posted by: stephen | May 2, 2007 9:52:48 AM