Apple | iPod | News

Apple Introduces Revolutionary iPhone

Appleiphone

It's a widescreen iPod, mobile phone, and "internet communicator" all in one using a touchscreen navigation. Only one button, the home button. Thinner than any smartphone. Comes with full-featured internet browser, integrated Google search and maps, free Yahoo push IMAP email (like BlackBerry), runs OSX, widgets. Shipping in June in $499 and $599 models, exclusively with Cingular. Developing...

Iphone Iphone2

Comments

1. Can anyone tell me: When will it be available? Thanks—

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jan 9, 2007 1:18:26 PM

2. Heaven!!!!! Can't wait until it hits the street and then my palm.

Posted by: Bart | Jan 9, 2007 1:31:16 PM

3. We knew it would be cool, just not HOW cool.

Posted by: KJ | Jan 9, 2007 1:32:44 PM

4. Oh my christ! I have a tech boner.

Posted by: Michael | Jan 9, 2007 1:43:31 PM

5. That's awesome!

What mobile companies are carrying it? And, of course, how much?

I would've hated to have gotten an iPod for Christmas.

Posted by: damien | Jan 9, 2007 1:49:45 PM

6. don't forget the TV box, which routes streaming media from your computer to your TV. I just got my Treo last spring, so I don't think I can justify changing it yet, but I've never been able to figure out how to get streaming media from my mac to my TV without burning a disc ('cause I'm a techno-moron). . . so I'm diggin *that*. ($299).

Posted by: scittevill | Jan 9, 2007 2:00:01 PM

7. Just heard $599 for the iPhone

Posted by: gryphon773 | Jan 9, 2007 2:02:02 PM

8. Available in June. Only from Cingular. $499 for 4GB. $599 for 8GB.

Posted by: roger | Jan 9, 2007 2:05:22 PM

9. Yeah, it's cool, but am I the only one who thinks this thing looks GIANT? Like too big to slip in your pocket. Plus the price? $500 is a bit steep.

Posted by: juan | Jan 9, 2007 2:06:23 PM

10. A phone, an iPod and "Internet communicator." It has proximity sensors - it adjusts sound/light when pressed against the face. It automatically switches from between landscape and portrait views. It has "multi-touch" capability - you make a "pinching" motion against screen to zoom photos. 200+ patents. Truly revolutionary.

Posted by: roger | Jan 9, 2007 2:09:12 PM

11. Holy crap!! Revolutionary BUY BUY BUY BUY!!!

Posted by: Ian | Jan 9, 2007 2:12:50 PM

12. Revolutionary? Really? In a couple of years it will be obsolete, so what's with all the excitement?

I guess that if consumerism is the state religion of America, the iPhone = the coming of the messiah?

Posted by: Dave | Jan 9, 2007 2:23:53 PM

13. so glad i bought stocks in apple last week.

Posted by: A.J. | Jan 9, 2007 2:34:42 PM

14. Dave - yes, in the technology world this product is revolutionary. Nothing to do with consumerism dude, it's called technology. Like that new fangled computer you are using...when it came out (IBM PC) it was revolutionary. Just like the first iPod. All of these products spawn many generations of new products. Behold, these revolutionary products only come out every few years in the tech world, many of us appreciate that.

Now you can cynically get back to slitting your wrists.

Posted by: Ian | Jan 9, 2007 2:50:32 PM

15. Best thing I ever did was buy Apple in 1992 when I was 22 years old. Still the best thing I ever did. Thank you Apple.

Posted by: Ogden | Jan 9, 2007 3:01:19 PM

16. Looks very pretty, very functional (which is insane for any kind of PDA device), but damn if everything from Apple isn't god-awful expensive. Probably best I don't even look at their products, because I could never afford them.

Posted by: burnssuit | Jan 9, 2007 3:06:15 PM

17. Not available til June...start saving your pennies.. :)

Posted by: Harvie Danger | Jan 9, 2007 3:21:54 PM

18. WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: Patrick | Jan 9, 2007 4:17:28 PM

19. I just signed away my first born to Verizon for two years and this baby runs on Cingular? Sucks.

Is there a workaround?

Posted by: FASTLAD | Jan 9, 2007 5:35:30 PM

20. Great but $$$...

Posted by: anon | Jan 9, 2007 5:38:09 PM

21. I read the "revolutionary" comments. Uh, nope that's only cool, not revolutionary. Sorry, it's just bells and whistle improvements on a user interface. Very cool.

Posted by: rrgg@none.com | Jan 9, 2007 6:50:44 PM

22. Looks innovative and revolutionary to me (sometimes, as I've learned in grant-writing.. innovative and revolutionary can be putting pre-existing things together in new ways..)

I don't care about the price, I'm drooling. Don't think I can wait till June...

what am I to do!?!

Posted by: Trey | Jan 9, 2007 7:35:12 PM

23. Revolutionary indeed! Like the cell phone, PC, original iPod...not many realized they were looking at a revolutionary application of existing technology at the time. iPhone is in that league I believe. Those enlightened industry analysts are almost unanimously declaring this revolutionary and to me, it's clear. This is a quantum leap in the world of portable devices, and a clear look into the future of things to come from everyone. Cell phones, PDA's, iPods, etc haven't changed much in years...the iPhone announced today will inspire significant changes in all of these devices and how we use them in the near future.

I am definitely not an Apple fan boy, but I do realize the impact of what Apple has done here. Bravo.

Posted by: Sean | Jan 9, 2007 8:43:00 PM

24. Ultimately, IT IS A PHONE. It's understandable that apple chose GSM for its international flexibility, but I will never get this BEAUTY until it's available with a different wireless carrier than Cingular. Did Apple miss the satisfaction/reliability surveys of wireless carriers? (Consumer Reports have Cingular consistently in the dumps in practically all major metropolitan areas.) Maybe this is the beginning of the end of the "APPLE EXPERIENCE".

Posted by: Michael | Jan 9, 2007 11:46:30 PM

25. DAVE, youre and idiot.

Posted by: matthew | Jan 9, 2007 11:50:58 PM