David Beckham Coming to America; Signs with L.A. Galaxy

Beckham_5U.S. Soccer will never be the same. David Beckham has announced that once his contract has expired with Real Madrid at the end of the summer, he’ll be headed to the U.S. to play for the L.A. Galaxy.

Becks: “This week Real Madrid asked me to make a decision regarding my future and the offer to extend my contract for a further two seasons. After discussing several options with my family and advisers to either stay here at Madrid or join other major British and European clubs, I have decided to join the Los Angeles Galaxy and play in the MLS from August this year. I would like to thank the supporters and people of Madrid who have made my family and I feel so welcome in my time here, making this an extremely difficult decision to make. I have enjoyed my time in Spain enormously and I am extremely grateful to the club for giving me the opportunity to play for such a great team and their amazing fans. I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world’s most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own. For the rest of this season I will continue to give 100% to my coach, team mates and fans as I believe Fabio Capello will bring this club and its supporters the success they truly deserve.”

The five-year deal is reportedly worth £128m (that’s $248 million here across the pond).

You may have missed…
David Beckham Irked To Be Cleaning House in the Nude [tr]
Beckhams Arrive in Rome for Tom Cruise Wedding [tr]
Everybody’s Checkin’ Out David Beckham [tr]

Comments

1. Zeke says

It’s sad to see that even people who speak the King’s English are unable to properly distinguish between the Subjective and Objective forms of the first-person, singular pronoun.

“I would like to thank the supporters and people of Madrid who have made my family and [ME] feel so welcome…”

If this Mississippi redneck noticed it, you would have thought that the English Beckham or his publicist would have.

A.J., Though most of Scientology’s money may come out of L.A., if Beckham wants to move closer to the “Scientology hub” he would move to the Tampa Bay area since the “universal” headquarters and hub is in Clearwater. You can’t go through downtown without being reminded of it. Eighty percent of the people walking around downtown wear the Twilight Zone styled Scientology uniform. It’s really quite creepy.

2. Billy D. Williams says

Our country needs a new sports hero. The American brotha’s just arent cutting it anymore.

His endorsement opportunities will eclipse Michael Jordan’s. Mark my words.

3. J.C. says

That’s an interesting twist. I’m not sure the Galaxy have the infrastructure to deal with a megastar coming aboard. He might as well be joining a Little League team. Very odd. A lot of money must be going into this (not just for Beckham’s salary). I had the same thought about Scientology: they own half of Hollywood already. If indeed he’s become their latest convert it’s a rich vein of cash to tap for years and years.

4. peterparker says

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beckham is going to be living in my city?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I’m going to have to find his house and wait outside of it until he agrees to marry me!!!!!

5. FunMe says

We welcome him with open arms here in the City of the Angels.

This is fantastic.

We just have to make sure that the gay Tom Cruise does not get him in bed and his stupid “religion”.

Beckman’s start is going to go up, up, up!

Not to mention other things going up with us boys seeing him! 😉

6. Barnie says

I’m glad he’s moving to LA and not NYC. Something about men in L.A. that makes me think his spit-shine gayness will fit right in.

You know, the boys who wear their clothes so unflatteringly tight and their eyebrows so tweezed that they almost squeek when they speak.

Frightening how men can be so different on opposite coasts.

7. Becks07 says

OK, since 1994 I have been in love with this man and now he’s gonna be a 2 hour flight south of me?

This is amazing news for American soccer. I’m very, very happy. :-)

For proof — see my pumpkin that appeared on these pages last year!

Andy, let’s go see him play sometime!!!

8. Lance says

Now he and Tom (Cruise) will have a legitimate excuse for being together all the time. Can anyone say lovers? Meanwhile Posh and Katie are getting it on in another wing of the house.

9. says

I’m probably one of the few people in the world who never has been and never will be on the David Beckham love train. So, when the news broke that he was signing with the LA Galaxy, I groaned.

If David Beckham is supposed to be the best soccer player in the world, then why doesn’t he have a World Cup or a European Championship under his belt? Zinedine Zidane, for all his head-butting ways, has both. Ronaldinho has a World Cup. Mia Hamm has two World Cups and two Olympic gold medals. To me, she IS American soccer. Becks doesn’t even have a World Cup silver or bronze medal. And I watched the fucking World Cup in 2006, and I was underwhelmed watching him.

He isn’t even that attractive, anyway.

Oh, and his wife, Victoria “Posh Spice” Beckham, is perhaps the least talented woman in the history of the world.

10. Rad says

So ends the Super Star career of David Beckham. Soccer and rugby just never took off here. They show highlights of “The Revolution” the New England soccer team, and there is NO ONE in the stands. They say the game is played for the people watching at home; I don’t even know of any local cable companies that carry the matches. His career is over. He’s been banished to the sports trash heap known as America. If it ain’t baseball, basketball or (American) football, it ain’t a game the folks here will care to watch or follow.

Perhaps it’s time he does retire and come out of the closet.

11. says

I am thrilled Beckham is coming to the US!

He will show other athletes that they don’t have to be homophobic… something American athletes badly need to learn.

Beckham is not gay, as some here have suggested. When he was told he was a gay icon, he was THRILLED and EXCITED. And that is not the reaction of a closet case. A closet case avoids gay people like the plague. Beckham is just exactly what we should want ALL straight guys to be: accepting of gays and also unscared of having people think he might be gay.

12. Da says

Hephaestion, yours is the first post I read about Beckham that spoke with substance as to why fans may feel so enthusiastically about him. Interesting..

As you said, if Beckham he can inspire a new generation of sportmen to emulate his behavior and change professional sport a little, then GREAT.

It doesn’t really change my opinion of him (still think he’s takes too much space) – but it’s good to hear a difference perspective!