Dick Cheney | Gay Parents | Iraq | Mary Cheney | News

Dick Cheney: Questions about Lesbian Daughter "Out of Line"

Wolf Blitzer talked to VP Dick Cheney in an interview that aired on The Situation Room today, and at the end of the interview asked about Dick's lesbian daughter Mary. Dick wasn't too happy about that:

Cheney_2

Q We're out of time, but a couple of issues I want to raise with you. Your daughter Mary, she's pregnant. All of us are happy. She's going to have a baby. You're going to have another grandchild. Some of the -- some critics, though, are suggesting, for example, a statement from someone representing Focus on the Family:

"Mary Cheney's pregnancy raises the question of what's best for children. Just because it's possible to conceive a child outside of the relationship of a married mother and father, doesn't mean it's best for the child."

Do you want to respond to that?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: No, I don't.

Q She's obviously a good daughter --

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I'm delighted -- I'm delighted I'm about to have a sixth grandchild, Wolf, and obviously think the world of both of my daughters and all of my grandchildren. And I think, frankly, you're out of line with that question.

Q I think all of us appreciate --

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I think you're out of -- I think you're out of line with that question.

Q -- your daughter. We like your daughters. Believe me, I'm very, very sympathetic to Liz and to Mary. I like them both. That was just a question that's come up and it's a responsible, fair question.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: I just fundamentally disagree with your perspective.

The full transcript of Cheney's interview, in which he also dismissed as "hogwash" notions that mistakes made in the Iraq war may have hurt his and the administration's credibility, can be found at the TPM Muckraker.

Comments

1. There is a special place in hell for this prick. Asking him about a topic that he made an election year issue is out of line, but sending kids to a war and their death is OK.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 24, 2007 6:18:40 PM

2. That was perfectly said, PATRICK NYC. How repugnant that people (in this case politicans) don't see their evil blind spots (hypocrisy). To top it all off, these people call themselves christians. I'm speechless and floored.

Posted by: n | Jan 24, 2007 6:24:18 PM

3. Ah, the hypocrisy of these people! I don't believe in hell but I fully agree with Patrick.

Posted by: miss dna | Jan 24, 2007 6:36:17 PM

4. Well of course the question is out of line because Cheney has no defense. He loves his daughter and works for a party who gladly plays the gay card. What can he really say?

peace

Posted by: James | Jan 24, 2007 6:53:23 PM

5. Patrick. Neither President Bush or VP Cheney made an election issue out of Cheney's daughter being a lesbian. The press and Kerry did that. Cheney's offspring are not running for political office and their personal lives are not an issue to anyone but their family's. That excludes you, Patrick; Wolf Blitzer and the press. If manners and professional integrity should ever become an issue of politics or a campagin, the Democrats and their co-horts who make news in the drive-by media are up the creek without the proverbial paddle. If you disagree with Bush's policy(s) fine. Try sometime to discuss the issues instead of lodging scurulous jabs at their families. The Bush's and Cheney's have more class under the soles of their shoes than some of the posters in this blog obviously have. Additionally, the soldiers serving in our military are men and women, not kids as you attempt to portray them. Most are very well educated and have chosen to serve their country and protect you and me in very personal ways that have never crossed your mind.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 24, 2007 6:54:35 PM

6. Cheney's personal life is absolutely my business when his administration has actively tried to muscle in on MY personal life for the past 6 years. When they lay off with the moralistic crusade against gays, I'll let Mary Cheney procreate in peace.

Posted by: erik | Jan 24, 2007 7:01:17 PM

7. STEVE SHUT THE F UP. you can write the longest defence but the goat has no excuse.

Posted by: johnosahon | Jan 24, 2007 7:04:03 PM

8. steve i bet you are one of those people who write speeches for anti-gay bigots

Posted by: johnosahon | Jan 24, 2007 7:05:21 PM

9. Whatever......Being against gay marriage and pro civil unions does not muscle into anyone's personal life. The world is not centered around your aura, Eric. I know many gays who have no interest in a marriage certificate, only the rights we are legally entitled to. A marriage license is not a "right" stated in the American Constitution or other legal document held by the Supreme Court of the United States.

Posted by: Micheal | Jan 24, 2007 7:07:52 PM

10. Steve is from the Christian Right and is part of a paranoid campaign that has been going on for years! They (through sunday church meetin's) are told to write and harrass the networks and now are even targeting gay blogs. All to make it appear that the bar is much further to the right than it really is. Along with having their own personal network, a truly genious idea. Let's expose the "idea" as much as we can, shall we?

Posted by: Todd M. | Jan 24, 2007 7:10:38 PM

11. The user Steve, like Dick Cheney, can say whatever he wants to. God Bless America. But like Cheney, he has absolutely no defense for the misinformation he tries to set forth as "fact".

Both should be ashamed, but quite unfortunately for them, they would rather make those around them feel shame instead.

It's like watching a magician performing a bad trick that everybody knows the secret to. It's embarrassing.

Posted by: Rey | Jan 24, 2007 7:12:32 PM

12. He wants his cake and eats it too.

Posted by: anon | Jan 24, 2007 7:22:32 PM

13. Blitzer was not "out of line" asking the question (He can ask any question he darn well pleases).
    Cheney's reply, "No, I don't." (want to respond to the Focus On The Family statement) was tantamount to, it's none of your business (or anyone else's).
    Blitzer pressed on. Cheney stood his ground.
    If he doesn't want to discuss his personal/family life, he is not obligated to do so.
    Each of us can judge him accordingly.
    It doesn't bother me that he keeps the matter private.

Posted by: Stephen | Jan 24, 2007 7:36:25 PM

14. Seems like there might be a little "gay shame" on Dick Cheney's part. Would he be this reluctant to talk about his daughter's pregnancy if she were married to a man?

That said, I don't think Dick Cheney is a hypocrite on this: he himself has not actively campaigned for a Constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, and I believe that he even said in the 2004 VP debate that he felt the issue was not something the US Congress should be involved with and saying something about people should be allowed to make their own personal choices. And I don't think he's ever said anything one way or the other about gay couples having and raising children.

Can someone can find a quote with Dick Cheney explicitly saying that gay marriage is wrong and should be banned, or that same-sex couples should not be allowed to raise children together?

Posted by: LightingLad | Jan 24, 2007 7:37:50 PM

15. DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Posted by: Zeke | Jan 24, 2007 7:39:31 PM

16. "Do you want to respond to that?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: No, I don't."

That is what Bill Clinton should've said.

Posted by: jessejames | Jan 24, 2007 7:52:54 PM

17. Cheney defenders, please. Dick Cheney chose not to respond to Focus on the Family's statement because he didn't dare inflame the Christian right members of the base. He chose a block of GOP voters over defending his daughter, just as was done at the GOP convention when Mary was left off the platform while the other members of the family were welcome. Give me a fucking break with "it's his private family matter" bullshit.

Posted by: Marco | Jan 24, 2007 8:05:54 PM

18. Crazy.

The anti-gay politics of the fundy bigots (upon which Dick rode to power)--that's what's out of line. Asking questions about those politics is perfectly "in line", and necessary.

Republicans have made the personal lives of all gay people an issue for public discussion. Mary doesn't get an exemption.

Posted by: Sportin' Life | Jan 24, 2007 8:07:18 PM

19. Does anyone think Cheney ever said to Bush or anti-gay Christian Rights groups who voted for their ticket "You're out of line?" Even once?

Posted by: Marco | Jan 24, 2007 8:13:19 PM

20. Of COURSE, the volunteer armed forces that get their asses shot off in the unnecessary but profitable (for Cheney) Iraq Adventure are KIDS. Look at them. I know kids when I see them. They are very young, often very poor with limited career opportunities, and certainly not sufficiently worldly enough to know that the neocons snookered America into this mess on the grounds of some phony-ass and never-ending war on terror. Kids. And if Cheney feels no pangs of remorse about that, let Kerry, Wolf Blitzer, and effin' everybody remind him that his daughter is a dyke with the looks and manners of a Teamster. The Republicans certainly never respected MY privacy. So to paraphrase the Draftdodger-in-Chief, bring it on!

Posted by: ProfessorVP | Jan 24, 2007 8:34:21 PM

21. Cheney may certainly decline to answer the question - now or for the rest of his life. That's his perogative. And he can try to shame Blitzer of asking a question that's "out of line" as a way of shutting him up. That's a rhetorical strategy that this administration has used to bully all types of constituencies to shut up.

Unfortunately for Cheney, at this point in his career and political life, he's not going to be able to throw his weight around and shift the onus back on itself. He actively made gay rights - and gay marriage a fundamental issue in the campaign. His own daughter has unwittingly played it against him. She took a public role in campaigning for him, as well as writing and publicizing a book (!) about herself and her relationship. So - she's a public persona, with a politically active and powerful parent. It's categorically NOT out of line. he just doesn't have an answer for it that can make him look good.

Posted by: resurrect | Jan 24, 2007 8:36:07 PM

22. I bet that man had to sell out his out daughter so that they (R) could win. I'm sure he loves all his kids and grandkids. What father or grandfather wouldn't. (don't answer that)

But his "Party" apparently loves us so much that "don't ask don't tell is lifted". Reserves depleting, well let's add the gays now and the "civilian reserve" aka "draft" next.

Sorry... I live in SF and 420'd my way into this conversation.

Continue

Posted by: ande | Jan 24, 2007 9:38:18 PM

23. Oh wow, TROLLS here at towleroad.

You're pissing them off and they come here. Very cool.

That tells me you that your blog has arrived!

THUMBS UP for towlroad!

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 24, 2007 9:48:25 PM

24. Well, with a little bit of luck he and George won't let the door hit them on the way out. The whole administration is in deep doo-doo. Their crew is drunk on power and it's our DUTY to stoke the fire of their impending hangover.

A.G. is testifing to the Senate that the constitution does not guarantee habeas corpus. Wow.

The question was not out of line. The current administration is.

Posted by: Quint | Jan 24, 2007 9:50:33 PM

25. to the person who said being against gay marriage or gay rights doesn't muscle into my personal life. My I suggest you read up on the constitution a bit- there is a small section of it called the equal protection clause you may want to become familar with before you post again. thx.

Posted by: akaison | Jan 24, 2007 10:04:01 PM