Isaiah Washington | News | T.R. Knight | Television

BigGayDeal.com

Isaiah Washington Still Obsessed with TR Knight

IsaiahwashingtonGrey's Anatomy picked up an award for "Best Television Seres - Drama" at the Golden Globes, and actor Isaiah Washington was still referencing the behind-the-scenes drama that hit the show's cast earlier this year.

Intent on assuring folks he has no hard feelings for TR Knight, whom he reportedly referred to as a "faggot" in a scuffle with co-star Patrick Dempsey on the Grey's set, Washington joked about it on the red carpet. Said the actor: "I love gay. I wanted to be gay. Please let me be gay."

Knight came out shortly after the incident in October.

Comments

1. I think Isaiah's PR person needs to tell him to shut up.

Posted by: David | Jan 16, 2007 9:33:08 AM

2. No Isaiah, God wanted you to be an asshole instead.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 16, 2007 9:36:55 AM

3. I'm convinved that he's just as cocky and clueless as his character on the show.

Posted by: Dean | Jan 16, 2007 10:07:59 AM

4. Patrick: HAHAHAHAHAhahahah

Posted by: Michael W. | Jan 16, 2007 10:21:33 AM

5. The fact that he could be so single-minded to even cause that sort of disruption is beyond me. Assualt both physical and verbal? A set and a show are like a machine, I'd imagine, and his loose cogs and civil malfunction could've caused real damage. That behaviour is utterly selfish in my opinion.

Posted by: Derrick | Jan 16, 2007 10:22:11 AM

6. There was a question from the pres when the cast won for Best Drama last night whether reports about the incident were true. When it was asked, Isaiah apparently rushed to the microphone ahead of shondra rhimes and said "I didn't call T.R. a faggot. Never happened." and then he, in a huff, went back to his corner.

Posted by: JOT | Jan 16, 2007 10:23:23 AM

7. Gross. What a pig.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 16, 2007 10:23:28 AM

8. Like Isaiah's character on "Grey's Anatomy", I think he suffers from a bit of a God complex. I found it interesting that his right hand injury is a problem on the show again, that perhaps the producers and writers have him on "watch". Either way, I fast forward through his parts, watching him gives me cramps.

Posted by: Cory | Jan 16, 2007 10:28:35 AM

9. what an ass.

Posted by: Kile | Jan 16, 2007 10:53:09 AM

10. Washington is a blight on this show. I won't even watch it - and I feel even more justified after hearing his ignorance is still in full-force.

What a hateful, awkward maroon.

Posted by: Rey | Jan 16, 2007 11:11:08 AM

11. The guy's character is a jerk, so it's appropriate casting.

Posted by: brosen826 | Jan 16, 2007 11:33:38 AM

12. Wow, he's an idiot, and he doesn't even realize it.

Posted by: Cadence | Jan 16, 2007 12:43:32 PM

13. That's right up there with Madonna saying she wanted to be black. Just for a day, I'd like for them to get what they want.

Posted by: 000000 | Jan 16, 2007 2:13:51 PM

14. As I gay black man I am disgusted that he is still on the show...if Patrick Dempsey or T.R. Knight or anyone else called him the N-word or some other offensive terms for blacks...they would be off the show in a heartbeat...it is shame that this was not done. Many black bloggers such as Rod 2.0 and Keith Boykin did not see Mr. Washington's behavior as cruel and worthy of dismissal. When a black man uses a demeaning word to another person or group, it is NO different than a white person and deserving of the same backlash received by Michael Richards, Mel Gibson and Rosie O'Donnell. Blacks do not have permission to degrade another person. These words are all hurtful and should be sanctioned.

Posted by: Charles | Jan 16, 2007 2:58:15 PM

15. As I gay black man I am disgusted that he is still on the show...if Patrick Dempsey or T.R. Knight or anyone else called him the N-word or some other offensive terms for blacks...they would be off the show in a heartbeat...it is shame that this was not done. Many black bloggers such as Rod 2.0 and Keith Boykin did not see Mr. Washington's behavior as cruel and worthy of dismissal. When a black man uses a demeaning word to another person or group, it is NO different than a white person and deserving of the same backlash received by Michael Richards, Mel Gibson and Rosie O'Donnell. Blacks do not have permission to degrade another person. These words are all hurtful and should NOT be sanctioned.

Posted by: Charles | Jan 16, 2007 2:59:22 PM

16. The best part of this entire story was the comments made by Katherine Heigel who plays Izzy.

From Access Hollywood: "I am not okay with it," Heigl told Access Hollywood's Shaun Robinson, referring to Washington's remarks.

"I'm going to be really honest right now, he needs to just not speak in public. Period. I'm sorry, that did not need to be said, I'm not okay with it," Katherine told Shaun.

When asked if she thought it was just an off-the-cuff remark, Heigl added, "I have no idea what it was, I just find it hurtful…I just feel like this is something that should be very much in house we need to deal with and it's among us and the cast and crew and among Shonda [Rimes, show creator] and the producers."

Heigl said that she hoped they work the situation out, making her loyalty to Knight, who plays Dr. George O'Malley on the hit show, clear.

"I don't think [Washington] means it the way he comes off…But, T.R. is my best friend. I will throw down for that kid. I will beat you up. I will use every ounce of energy I have to take you down if you hurt his feelings," she said.

---

I'm guessing it was a fun morning in the make-up trailer.

Posted by: Chad | Jan 16, 2007 3:17:18 PM

17. It reads like Heigl's had experience on the soaps.

Posted by: 000000 | Jan 16, 2007 3:39:27 PM

18. I don't watch the show anymore because of bigots like this. I can't stand to even look at him. Go the hell you bigoted coward.

Let's see what the reaction would be if someone called him nigger and then said "I love black. I wanted to be black. Please let me be black." Jesse Jackson protest perhaps? Where is g.l.a.d.d in all of this ???

Posted by: Mike | Jan 16, 2007 3:53:13 PM

19. Maybe the show's creator Shonda Rimes deserves some heat for this. Here is her quote after the jerk physically and verbally attacked two of his co-stars.
    "I found (those rumors) not only ridiculous but offensive that we would consider replacing a member of our family," "Grey's" creator Shonda Rhimes told People. "And also the (idea) that one black man was interchangeable with another seemed disturbing to me."

Not hard to see who she is sticking up for.

Posted by: John | Jan 16, 2007 4:03:19 PM

20. This won't die a quiet death until he does a Mel Gibson/Kramer.....he cops to it, asks forgiveness and moves on. The more he continues to deny it and the more the producers of the show continue covering up the stink, the more the press will harrass them for the truth.

John has a point. Shonda, as the creator, shouldn't have started the cover-up. I understand she wanted to protect a brother but it was a bad move.

Posted by: gabe | Jan 16, 2007 4:55:58 PM

21. Washington, who has played gay characters before, sez the orginal incident did not happen the way the press has reported it - in fact he goes so far as to say it did happen period so... I've never even watched Grey's Anatomy and Washington, though handsome, always come across as an arrogant prick but it's still incredibly cool to see a black woman creating and executive producing a monster hit network televison show and winning mainstream awards for it as well - am pretty sure that does not happen everday. I am hoping she finds a way to right the backstage wrongs - perceived or otherwise.

Posted by: Giovanni | Jan 16, 2007 5:09:23 PM

22. IW cannot understand that he is an asshole. Truly, what I cannot understand is anybody finding this asshole hot. He's quite ugly as a black man goes anyway. Goodlooking for black men are the guy that won the "Dance with the Stars", Terence, whatever his last name, in Crash, but certainly not IW.

Posted by: Oscar | Jan 16, 2007 9:06:51 PM

23. not gonna watch that show no more lessen that phobe is fired. unreal. no class at all. great show otherwise

Posted by: timmy | Jan 17, 2007 1:59:24 AM

24. I think it's terrible what he said, but I'm not willing to resent him forever for that.

And whether he's fired at this point is irrelevant to me, the most beautiful part was hearing TR Knight coming out victorious today on Ellen. Sometimes that is the brightest of lessons for bigots.

Posted by: Da | Jan 17, 2007 10:09:48 AM

25. Firing everybody who says a wrong word..(free speech...remember that??)Is gonna leave a lot of time on tv for infommercials....

Posted by: alan brickman | Jan 21, 2007 1:50:06 PM