John Barrowman | Kiss | News | Television | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

John Barrowman Burns up Screen with Torchwood Kiss

Torchwood1

Via AfterElton comes this romantic clip from the last episodes of this season's BBC series Torchwood starring John Barrowman, who recently wed his real-life partner Scott Gill in Wales.

Torchwood is a spin-off of the popular series Dr. Who.

Torchwood2 Torchwood3

Torchwood5 Torchwood4

While I'm not sure of the plot here since it's only currently playing across the pond, it looks pretty great.
(screenshot source)

Wonderful Clip from Torchwood [after elton]

You may have missed...
Scottish-American Actor John Barrowman in Civil Partnership [tr]

Comments

1. Remember when he played the fictionalized version of JFK, Jr. So hot on Central Park West. Couldn't act to save his life, but he didn't need to. Actually, none of those actors could act to save their lives. Was really sad when that trash-tv show was taken off the air.

Loved that bitch blond actress who went on to marry some rich Wall St. guy. What a waste of "bad acting" talent.

Posted by: Bruce | Jan 2, 2007 5:47:39 PM

2. The plot (and here be spoilers) is that Barrowman plays Captain Jack Harkness, leader of the shadowy Torchwood Institute. He and a companion are thrown back in time to World War II where he encounters...Captain Jack Harkness (played by the scrumptious Matt Rippy), the man from whom he stole his identity and with whom he will share that marvelous kiss.

I've been watching all season (bless BitTorrent) and this episode was the best to date. I was teary and, as a longtime Doctor Who and British sci-fi fan, so proud. If I could travel back in time and tell my 14-year-old self that one day men would be kissing on a Doctor Who show, I'd probably not believe myself, but it would have made my early-teen geek self more hopeful for the future than you can imagine.

Posted by: TheBrad | Jan 2, 2007 6:20:52 PM

3. Actually is that Titi Kaka from Absolutely Fabulous. you know, the asian girl that is Saffy's friend??

=)

Posted by: thatmattdude | Jan 2, 2007 6:28:11 PM

4. In fact, *every* regular on Torchwood is bisexual, and Barrowman's long-term love interest on the show is one of the supporting *males*.

Imagine if Angel's long-term love interest was Xander. Yeah--Impossible, I know.

If Torchwood makes it into the pages of Entertainment Weekly (et al) when it eventually premieres on US TV, this will be the reason why.

Posted by: scott | Jan 2, 2007 7:01:42 PM

5. Wow... um, yeah. That was really hot.

Posted by: Jordan | Jan 2, 2007 7:19:14 PM

6. Just caught that episode on BBC Three - regular widescreen TV beats youtube anyday for this kind of story.

Rippy makes his character smoulder throughout...

Anyway, for those who can get BBC Three, this episode - No. 12, Captain Jack Harkness - repeats tonight and again on Thursday.

BBC Three schedule:

Posted by: RIPPYSMOULDERS | Jan 2, 2007 7:21:33 PM

7. I'm living in the UK right now, and I've caught a couple of episodes of "Torchwood," and would watch regularly if the bastards had got digital channels on the common room TV.

Scott, is the long-term love interest that hot Welsh guy, Ianto?

Posted by: Ben | Jan 2, 2007 7:29:17 PM

8. is the long-term love interest that hot Welsh guy, Ianto?

That has been the implication, yes, but I don't know anyone's ever come right out and said so.

And "that hot Welsh guy"? Come on, is there any other kind of Welsh guy?

Posted by: TheBrad | Jan 2, 2007 7:37:17 PM

9. Also, Torchwood has been confirmed for another season and has been promoted to BBC Two. The way it works on the BBC is that BBC One is the channel for prime-time, uber-popular, mainstream, big-viewing numbers programming.

BBC Two is (or traditionally has been) the channel for lower-audience, slightly off-beat or narrow-interest programming. But BBC Two is as widely available, and known and respected, as BBC One.

BBC Three and Four (recently launched digital-only channels) are for experimental comedies, dramas, etc. that are targetted to, and can succeed or fail for, various and disparate niche audiences. Also, BBC Three and Four are available to fewer households and are still considered by the masses to be channels for (and by) the London set.

So its fairly progessive to see that the Beeb are moving Torchwood towards the mainstream - the only worry is that they tone it down. There are claims that they did this when Little Britain moved from BBC Three to BBC One.

Posted by: RIPPYSMOULDERS | Jan 2, 2007 7:37:40 PM

10. And yes, that's Naoko Mori, who played Sarah on AbFab. Here she's Toshiko Sato, computer expert, who totally hooked up with a Lesbian alien a few episodes back.

Posted by: TheBrad | Jan 2, 2007 7:41:04 PM

11. Jack and Ianto's relationship was referenced in both the last two episodes. And then at the very end of the second, they share an emotional and passionate kiss themselves. I screencapped it:
    I hope they can continue it next season, they're such a cute couple.

Posted by: Sayke | Jan 2, 2007 8:10:20 PM

12. What a sweet, beautiful scene! I cannot wait for Torchwood to begin airing in the States. I was never a Dr Who fan until the latest series began and now I'm completely hooked. I especially enjoyed 1st new series epsiodes with Captain Jack! C'Mon ScFiChannel...I need more Jack now!

Posted by: Rob | Jan 2, 2007 8:56:16 PM

13. the BBC knows how to do it RIGHT!..almost everything they do is done with a touch of class......we need to just annihilate american TV...except grey's anatomy

Posted by: tc | Jan 2, 2007 9:30:45 PM

14. What a truly beautiful clip. So very sweet and so very sad. As they start to dance I found myself weeping. A brief moment that literally transcends time and space. As an aging member of the "pansy tribe," I am always thrilled at these romantic instants.

As always, high marks to toweroad for exquisite taste!

Posted by: rainhawk | Jan 3, 2007 1:47:16 AM

15. I have GOT to start watching this show. I just recently became a 'Doctor Who' fan (thanks again, BBC America!)and now I'm going to have to catch up with 'Torchwood' ASAP.

PS: I'd have John Barrowman's babies. All over my face.

Posted by: Dex | Jan 3, 2007 2:46:08 AM

16. hmmmm

reminds me of the prom scene in Queer As Folk (US)

Posted by: steve | Jan 3, 2007 5:11:33 AM

17. Possibly but seeing as Russell T Davies is the producer of Torchwood and the creator of QAF he should be allowed to steal from his own creation. Beautiful moment regardless.

Posted by: Mark C | Jan 3, 2007 5:42:05 AM

18. Steve, You're so right. I watched that with a sense of deja vu, but couldn't place it. That was it, though: it's just like the QaF scene with Brian and Justin dancing at Justin's prom.

Posted by: Rich | Jan 3, 2007 5:45:29 AM

19. Has anyone ever noticed that when two guys kiss it often tends to look...strange? Don't get me wrong, it's hot, but there always seems to be some kind of subconscious struggle for dominance resulting in some...dissonance.
    Just thinking out loud...

Posted by: Je | Jan 3, 2007 6:05:19 AM

20. I don't see anything wrong with 2 guys kissing, actually it usually has a very postive effect on me....

Posted by: paul | Jan 3, 2007 6:20:32 AM

21. teary, teary, teary, teary, teary... Beautiful Scene. If ONLY reality mirrored fiction, more often....and with me!

Posted by: kile | Jan 3, 2007 6:42:25 AM

22. As a Brit and lucky enough to see the first season of Torchwood, i have to say it is an excellent show, with a good mix of Sci Fi , Action and Drama .. If you liked the new Doctor Who then you will love this, If you did not Like the new Doctor Who then you will still love the show , Its a lot darker at times than Doctor who with more of an adult theme.. the Plot of the show from which the kiss comes from mainly features Captain jack being stranded in 1941 and meeting the real Captin jack??

Posted by: Lucy Katz | Jan 3, 2007 6:48:01 AM

23. Ps ... the show also features Girl on Girl action as well as regular relationships and then odd human and alien relationship

Posted by: Lucy Katz | Jan 3, 2007 6:50:05 AM

24. Boys kissing! Yummmm!

Posted by: Terry | Jan 3, 2007 7:34:47 AM

25. I believe Russell Davies, the creator of TORCHWOOD, was quoted as saying that this show would have a heavy sexual content, and that all the regulars would have some same-sex action. From the episodes I've seen, there's been a same-sex kiss in just about each episode.

Posted by: John | Jan 3, 2007 7:38:10 AM