Ellen DeGeneres | Kathy Griffin | Magazines | Sacha Baron-Cohen

Ellen DeGeneres Glams it up on W

Ellen_1Ellen has a few things to say about her fellow comedians in the upcoming issue of W, characterizing Kathy Griffin as "very mean", Sarah Silverman "hilarious" and Sacha Baron-Cohen "brilliant". She also says designers are sending her a variety of "different suits" for her upcoming stint at the Oscars:

"Whenever Portia and I are on the red carpet, they’re yelling out for her to tell them what she’s wearing. But nobody cares [about what I’m wearing] because I have a suit on, even if it’s a Gucci suit. That to me is frustrating, because I put effort into getting ready too. But I guess it’s not as important, and I’m not as dressed up somehow. I also feel myself more of a person than a gender. When people show me clothing that seems very, very feminine, it’s hard for me to embrace that, because it just doesn’t feel like me.... It was fun [for the shoot] having somebody do that to my hair, and do that makeup. But would I want to do that every single day? No."

She looks pretty amazing on this W cover (click to enlarge).

You may have missed...
Guide to the Tube: Jake Gyllenhaal Calls Ellen [tr]

Comments

1. Kudos to whoever did her make up. She looks less boyish than I think I've ever seen her. Ellen, a lipstick lesbian? Perhaps?

Posted by: Matt | Feb 6, 2007 9:14:23 AM

2. and the photoshop of the decade goes to.....................

W for the ellen cover

LOL

Posted by: johnosahon | Feb 6, 2007 9:21:21 AM

3. It's interesting to me that she characterizes Kathy Griffin as mean, but Sarah Silverman (who I think is not funny) as hilarious.

Posted by: hoya86 | Feb 6, 2007 9:22:11 AM

4. hello andy....
    another morning of a source to chuckle....even though, the cover of this magazine is beautiful regardless of photoshopping comments, however, ultimately i wonder -- how photoshopped is this entire culture ?? gay men included -- the obsession (perhaps?) with trashing culture to such a degree as well as the joke that is technology bringing people together in a healthy way?? i ask you, do you get a good read and chuckle in the morning -- or have you allowed yourself to become so immersed and incapable of seeing how much garbage has really been created?? so obsessed with public outings, when you don't really get together yourselves -- it's easier to participate than recognize the sham and shame that so much of it is. a time tested tale of the yawn factor.

Posted by: ricardo | Feb 6, 2007 9:45:45 AM

5. Ellen is not nor will she ever be considered "quite pretty" by anyone who has eyesight. She is just a plain, average woman, and no amount of makeup can change that! She looks better than usual, but, that isn't pretty. Sorry, but, that's the truth.

Posted by: mark | Feb 6, 2007 9:55:21 AM

6. I think the the sub-head on the W cover ("America's Unlikely New It Girl") deserves some scrutiny. Unless the connotation of "It Girl" has changed drastically since its rise to common usage in the teens and twenties (It was either Theda Bara or Clara Bow who was first annointed), it is far from appropos in this case. I love Ellen, and she is no doubt enjoying a great deal of public affection just now, but "It" refers, in the most simplistic sense, to sex appeal. I'm not sure I'm down with the idea that young hetero guys are downloading photos of Ellen to their private directories...

Posted by: Rascal | Feb 6, 2007 10:02:44 AM

7. I agree with Ellen, Kathy Griffin is mean, but she's still hilarious, and Sarah Silverman is simply genius!

Posted by: Wayne | Feb 6, 2007 10:03:39 AM

8. I love Ellen but she still doesnt look very comfortable in that ensemble. She doesnt ever need to glam it up in my book. Shes fabulous the way she is. A woman can be sexy in her confidence, not in her gowns.

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 6, 2007 10:12:22 AM

9. Yep, she looks like a drag queen all dolled up! I still love her, though.

Posted by: Nikko | Feb 6, 2007 10:15:27 AM

10. Somehow that cover looks like what would happen if John Singer Sargent and Norman Rockwell got together to do a Saturday Evening Post cover.

Posted by: tominsf | Feb 6, 2007 11:02:47 AM

11. I think Griffin is mean to those who have an elitist attitude. She is very easy on those celebrities she perceives as down to earth.

I like both Ellen and Kathy.

Posted by: dattexas | Feb 6, 2007 11:20:41 AM

12. I'm loving it that she loves Jil Sander and Raf Somons (although the latter is now designing the former). Who knew Ellen's actually a Closet Fashionista?!

Posted by: just sayin' | Feb 6, 2007 11:55:33 AM

13. Sorry, it should have been Raf *Simons*.

Posted by: just sayin' | Feb 6, 2007 11:59:25 AM

14. uh oh Ellen! don't bash Kathy! you're gonna piss of gay boys all around the world!

Posted by: Chris | Feb 6, 2007 12:29:13 PM

15. You got this photo & story from Faded Youth, but didn't credit them!

Arasto from Faded Youth photoshopped the cover and wrote "Faded Youth: Best Blog Ever" to set a trap to see who steals his stuff...

Uh-huh.

Posted by: Uproar | Feb 6, 2007 12:27:34 PM

Oh PUH_Leeeeeze, Mary. And pray tell, where did Mr Faded Youth get it in the first place? A legit syndication from W mag with all copyrights properly cleared? I think NOT. Talk abt a pot calling a kettle black.

Posted by: just sayin' | Feb 6, 2007 12:44:37 PM

16. With the Academy Awards approaching up I am again seeing the media perpetuate the same falsehood they do every year - that the Oscar ceremony is seen by over a billion people. That’s never even been close to true. Last year’s ceremony drew 38.59 million viewers in the United States. (In no year has that number ever gone above 75 million.) There are around 300 million people in the United States, so roughly 1 in 7 people tuned in last year. Most do not stick it out, by the way. The average audience at any given moment last year was under 30 million.

But even if 75 million Americans are watching, that means 925,000,000 people outside the U.S. must be tuning in for the total audience to hit one billion. Who thinks that’s likely?

At last report, the population of the world was a little over 6.5 billion, of which around a fifth live in China. I think it’s safe to say that no significant Chinese hordes flock to Oscar parties and lust to find out what the stars are wearing. Few in China speak English, fewer still see our movies. That, and of course the fact that the show is not televised there would tend to cut into ratings a bit.

The ceremony, in fact, is not televised in well over half the world.

If only one in 7 Americans watches an American event about (mostly) American movies with American stars, what must the ratio be like in Sri Lanka? Paraguay? Abu Dhabi?

Still, every year, reporters pick up the “billion viewers” detail from one another and unquestioningly write it into their stories, perpetuating this whopper of a lie. And most people just nod like freshly-lobotomized outpatients and go, “Wow...a billion or more viewers...awesome.”

Argh.

Posted by: bill | Feb 6, 2007 1:17:14 PM

17. Here comes Mark again, nasty bitchy judgemental queen that he is. Apparently everyone--no matter what they do--no matter how successful they are--no matter how much good they do for the community in general--should only be judged by his standards of beauty which are apparently informed by the advertising industry. What a sad, sad, little man (though I'm sure he's quite thin) he is.

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 6, 2007 1:25:12 PM

18. Yeah, Sarah Silverman is a blast. But rape was always funny to me.

Posted by: 000000 | Feb 6, 2007 1:45:01 PM

19. cover should read "america's unlikely new it." she's too fug to be on the cover of anything but "popular mechanics."

Posted by: sean | Feb 6, 2007 2:20:46 PM

20. Please tell me that the cover(s) of DNA is not photoshopped? Oh cruel, cruel world!
    Does that mean I can't look like those boy/men?

Where is Jaime Lee Curtis when I need her?

Posted by: Ed | Feb 6, 2007 2:45:02 PM

21. Ellen Degeneres hosts the Oscars
    Kathy Griffin hosts the GAYVN Awards

Hmm, i wonder who will have a better time ;-) I can't WAIT for Kathy...

Posted by: Lano | Feb 6, 2007 3:39:20 PM

22. So Ellen is showing 'boobage' now..just how more mainstream can she get?

I'm teasing of course, but it's different seeing her in a photoshoot like this one.

Posted by: Da | Feb 7, 2007 5:02:04 AM

23. Anyone notice how disturbingly similar she looks like Anne Heche in that picture?

And of course Kathy Griffin is mean...that's her shtick.

Posted by: Marc | Feb 9, 2007 12:55:16 AM