Basketball | John Amaechi | News | Sports | Tim Hardaway

Former NBA Star Tim Hardaway: "I Hate Gay People"

Reacting to former NBA player John Amaechi's recent coming out of the closet, former NBA Miami Heat player Tim Hardaway told a sports radio host today that he unequivocally hates gay people, that they shouldn't be in the world. Hardaway made the comments in an interview with Dan Le Batard of 790 the Ticket when asked about how he would deal with someone like Amaechi on his team:

Hardaway"First of all I wouldn't want him on my team. Second of all, if he was on my team I would really distance myself from him because I don't think that's right and I don't think he should be in the locker room while we're in the locker room."

After Le Batard pointed out that the former point guard was being "flatly homophobic", Hardaway continued:

"Well, you know, I hate gay people. I let it be known, I don't like gay people. I don't like to be around gay people."

"Yeah, I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world, or in the United States. So, yeah, I don't like it."

The NBA, for whom Hardaway had been making public appearances, immediately removed him from further appearances, saying: "It is inappropriate for him to be representing us given the disparity between his views and ours."

According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel: "Hardaway was listed Tuesday as an "NBA Legend" when the league launched its NBA FIT program at the YMCA of Southern Nevada and had been part of the NBA's Community Caravan leading up to Sunday's All-Star Game in Las Vegas. Hardaway played for the Heat from 1996 to 2001 and remains the franchise's all-time leader in assists. His NBA career began in 1989 and ended in 2003. Amaechi played in the NBA from 1995 to 2003, but never as a Hardaway teammate."

Hardaway's agent had no immediate comment.

UPDATE: Hardaway later apologized for his comments during an interview with Miami's WSVN. Said Hardaway: "Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake."

(video) Tim Hardaway comments.

Comments

1. Wow, his future advertising deals are completely DOA. What a dumbass.

Absolutely no reason whatsoever to use a racial slur against him, though. That's just simply innapropriate.

Posted by: Aaron | Feb 15, 2007 12:24:48 AM

2. Wow, it's amazing that attitudes like this, so cut and dry can not only still be believed, but espoused so freely.

Amazing how some things change, and some just seem to stay the same. I guess there will always be some people who don't grow.

Posted by: Dave | Feb 15, 2007 12:31:20 AM

3. Um, KuhLauzIt case. Self-hatred sucks.

Posted by: jonjon | Feb 15, 2007 12:41:14 AM

4. "And it wasn't that long ago that people of his ilk were, in some parts of the country, told to keep their eyes down, walk on the other side of the street when a person of a different color was walking on the same side, and told that they were less than those around them."

I agree. Its amazing. All over the internet in gay websites, gays don't want to date or love people of more "ethnic" races let alone associate themselves with asianic or african people for reason. It all begins with simply establishing territories...

Posted by: D-2 | Feb 15, 2007 12:53:42 AM

5. counting down the days until his internet lover outs him...

Posted by: JoJO | Feb 15, 2007 1:03:42 AM

6. D-2 said, "All over the internet in gay websites, gays don't want to date or love people of more "ethnic" races let alone associate themselves with asianic or african people for reason. It all begins with simply establishing territories..."

Ummm, what?!?

Posted by: Craig | Feb 15, 2007 1:04:10 AM

7. Somebody is gonna get a stern talking to from GLAD... I see REHAB in his future... I love when these dumb asses step in there own shit... then wonder what the hell happened.

Posted by: M | Feb 15, 2007 1:09:18 AM

8. "It shouldn't be in the world, or in the United States. So, yeah, I don't like it."

Frickin moron. What planet does he think the U.S. is on. More rope please.

Posted by: M | Feb 15, 2007 1:13:41 AM

9. Craig

"Ummm, what?!?"

What would you like me to clarify?

Posted by: D-2 | Feb 15, 2007 1:13:48 AM

10. Yeah D-2, I did'nt get your point either

Posted by: M | Feb 15, 2007 1:15:46 AM

11. @D-2

I don't understand what you were trying to say either. Can you please explain it to me too?

Posted by: soulbrotha | Feb 15, 2007 1:19:53 AM

12. D2, I'll second Craig's comment. If you're going to attempt to express an opinion, at least make it a bit cogent.

Posted by: Tom Mulroney | Feb 15, 2007 1:20:14 AM

13. My post was mainly aimmed at Dave. According to Dave, Hardaway's ancestry/ethnicity must be bought into discussion simply because he doesn't like gay people. The man's an illogical asshole but why does Dave need to say ""And it wasn't that long ago that people of his ilk were, in some parts of the country, told to keep their eyes down, walk on the other side of the street when a person of a different color was walking on the same side, and told that they were less than those around them."

It was completely unnecessary especially when our great tolerant gay community isn't so open-minded when it comes to interracial relationships and sometimes friendships. There's been reports of blacks and asians being denied entry to clubs and bars and there's even been reports of anti-black slurs being slugged around in the Castro.

The point is is that no one should make these judgements (that whoever should be more tolerant simply because of past injustices) because of things they can't change such as race, religion, sex, maybe even circumcision, etc, when no community is free of shameful conduct.

Posted by: D-2 | Feb 15, 2007 1:27:37 AM

14. Did that make sense?

Jeez....I don't want this to turn into the "D-2 explain's it all" thread...

:P

Posted by: D-2 | Feb 15, 2007 1:35:43 AM

15. This has all been covered... please see
    Isaih Washington posts same crap different brutha.

Posted by: M | Feb 15, 2007 1:38:16 AM

16. I can't believe this. That a public figure (and supposedly a role model) would come out and say something like this is incredible. He'll probably add up that it's in the bible, so he was just stating a 'fact'. Homophobia in the locker room is alive and kicking.

Posted by: xavier | Feb 15, 2007 1:40:58 AM

17. I think the "lady" doth protest too much.

Posted by: Todd M. | Feb 15, 2007 1:57:35 AM

18. Imagine it this way.... "First of all I wouldn't want him on my team. Second of all, if he was on my team I would really distance myself from him because I don't think that's right and I don't think he should be in the locker room when we're in the locker room."

"Well, you know, I hate black people. I let it be known, I don't like black people. I don't like to be around black people."

"Yeah, I'm racist. I don't like it. They shouldn't be in the world, or in the United States. So, yeah, I don't like it."

Headline news all over the country. Violence. Death threats. And Tim Hardaway would be right there. What a neanderthal.

I will never understand how members of a group who have suffered hatred and oppression for centuries can so quickly and easily subject others to that same hatred and oppression.

Posted by: Norm | Feb 15, 2007 2:03:51 AM

19. So for all of you who thought the Texas radio station shouldn't be able to fire a gay DJ who didn't represent their views, do you think it's okay for the NBA to terminate their relationship with this clown because of his views?

(And please don't bend over backwards to far while avoiding the obvious inconsistency in your position.)

To refresh your memory:

Posted by: A Different View | Feb 15, 2007 2:07:32 AM

20. > Wow, his future advertising deals are completely DOA.

I agree. And this is a sign of the tremendous progress we've made. Please keep that in mind the next time you hear someone say how much worse things are getting for us gays. They have lost perspective.

Posted by: A Different View | Feb 15, 2007 2:11:01 AM

21. Why is anybody shocked about what Tim Hardaway said in reference to gay people? He is just expressing in public what most athletes say in private. He is just that candid....or that dumb. Now he is apologizing. But why? Is it because he all of a sudden stopped hating gays? Or because he realized that his candor/dumbness has cast him as a bigot and therefore can cost him money in the form of TV gigs, endorsements etc?

Posted by: Lourdes | Feb 15, 2007 2:28:23 AM

22. A Different View,

If you're trying to make some deep point about a perceived double standard, you'll have to do a lot better than that.

Posted by: Tom Mulroney | Feb 15, 2007 2:38:23 AM

23. Lourdes,

You're right...just read the apology. What a joke. Next thing you know, he'll be off to "therapy" with Isaiah. How pathetic.

Posted by: Tom Mulroney | Feb 15, 2007 2:44:23 AM

24. Dear M,

Please die.

KTHANXBYE

Posted by: K | Feb 15, 2007 3:00:49 AM

25. > "Sorry, but your attempt to compare the firing of a small time DJ who stated on his MySpace page that it wasn't anyone's business who he slept with, to a famous former NBA star (and hired spokesperson for the NBA) being fired for publicly espousing hatred for gays in no uncertain terms, is ridiculous."

The common issue is whether an employer has the freedom to fire an employee for publicly expressing views with which the employer disagrees, in cases where the employee's job involves representing the employer before the public in some substantial way.

Posted by: A Different View | Feb 15, 2007 3:05:06 AM