Christina Aguilera | Golf | Music | News | Sports | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube: #90

LAKISHA JONES BRINGS DOWN THE IDOL HOUSE: The next Jennifer Hudson?

CHRISTINA AGUILERA: Her latest video for the single "Candyman".

WILL IT BLEND?: Creating a glow stick smoothie.

VIJAY SINGH AT THE MASTERS: Lets the F-word rip at a golf ball! I think we'll let this one slide. Or slice, should we say. Why do they mic golfers? (source: deadspin)

Check out our past guides to the Tube here!

Comments

1. At least he's wearing goggles in case the blender explodes and burns his hand off/electrocutes him. The risk is worth it for the pursuit of science...

Posted by: Scientitian | Feb 23, 2007 4:59:04 PM

2. Although her recent songs and music videos have been interesting, it seems like Christina has forgotten that it's the 21st century.

Posted by: Eric | Feb 23, 2007 4:59:06 PM

3. Why should we let this one slide just because he was using it in relation to an action and an object not a person? Singh is a known bigot—he opposed Annika Sorenstam's participation in the Colonial golf tournament a few years ago SOLELY because she was not male, and his comments made clear that he thought a woman golfer could never beat a man.

The test in this case is as in all others. If he had spat, "Nigger Motherfucker" instead of "Faggot Motherfucker," should good men and women simply ignore it?

A favorable tide for zero tolerance of publicly expressed homophobia seems to have turned, and, if it is to be sustained and prevail, we must pay as much attention to the misdemeanors as the felonies.

Posted by: Leland | Feb 23, 2007 5:30:17 PM

4. I so agree with you, Eric. I can't believe that silly Christina has taken a tired, old chorine bombshell look & had a ton of fun creating a sexy, innocent & fun image, expanded her vocals by recording songs in styles from past eras and seems to be having a blast while doing it. She even had the gall to do a duet with Tony Bennett on the TV last year! Why doesn't she just shave her head at a tatto parlor in the middle of the night or something else contemporary like flashing her goods as she gets out of a car? The nerve of some people wanting to evolve & grow but still entertain while they do it. God knows Madonna never reinvented herself & had fun with it for a while. It's Just Awful...

Posted by: basis4insanity | Feb 23, 2007 5:53:55 PM

5. YEA! Basis! Sacrosanct sarcasm my favorite!. Yummy, now that's what for dinner!

Although I must add if I was the writer of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy I would be contemplating copyright infringement. That said, gorge to have some real music and real talent.

B!

Posted by: Br!on | Feb 23, 2007 6:20:35 PM

6. The warning label did not say "do not blend". LMAO!!! Thanks Andy.

Posted by: Esote | Feb 23, 2007 6:30:18 PM

7. Indeed, Leland is correct. Vijay Singh is a misogynist pig...and such views tend also to go hand-in-hand with homophobia. I say let's hold his feet to the fire just as we have with Tim Hardaway.

Posted by: peterparker | Feb 23, 2007 6:46:36 PM

8. I'm not an American Idol in the least (and that's a long discussion lol), but watching that clip, WOW, WOW WOW WOW WOW, Lakisha Jones has a voice I have never heard before, EVER. Not even Whitney Houston can compare, she gave me goosebumps. WOW...

BASIS4INSANITY: LOL exactly. I like it. I haven't heard anything from Christina Aguilera's new album, mostly because I don't listen to Jessica Simpson/Britney Spears/Christina Aguilera bubble-gum type music. However, I liked it. It was mature for her, and I love the throw back to '30's jazz. Christina pulls it off well, and her vocals are perfect for jazz and swing. Of course, she looks amazing and fits the '30's blond bombshell image to a t.

As for Eric, while I understand your point, please define modern. As "everything has been done before", nothing is essentially "original" or "21st century". If anythng, Christina (and her song writers/producers) have given life to an older sound, while "entertaining" her fans and herself. Lighten up =).

What exactly are glow sticks made of?

LOL Vijay Singh, I love that the commentators didn't say anything and just glazed right over it. As for giving a pass, hmmmm, I don't know. While I'm not ultra-politically correct, something about it rubs me the wrong way. Then again, mothers everywhere could start demanding that "motherfucker" be deemed insulting and inappropriate.

Posted by: Cory | Feb 23, 2007 7:05:55 PM

9. Funny how I sound like a huge fan of Christina A. Thing is, I couldn't name any of her music. I just happened to have seen her recent videos& think that she's doing something cool.

(and I do know how to spell tattoo...)

As for Idol, didn't watch it until this season. Right now, it looks like the girls are going to wipe the floor with the guys. And Lashika looks like she's on a mission...

Posted by: basis4insanity | Feb 23, 2007 7:38:12 PM

10. Meh. I don't think she's nearly as good as Hudson and she's CERTAINLY no Holiday.

Posted by: gander | Feb 23, 2007 8:11:32 PM

11. I like Christina more these days. SHe may have been grouped in with the mindless manufactured bubblegum that was Britney, look who's career is STILL blossoming and look who's having a nervous breakdown. You can dismiss Christina's music, but you can't deny her talent and ability to perform.

Oh and Cory, it's a 1940's throwback, not 30's :)

Posted by: mark m | Feb 23, 2007 8:12:28 PM

12. I Agree with Leland...

this is unacceptable behavior! But then, I don't expect the Golfing world to step up to the plate (or is it the tee), as the NBA.

Posted by: Mikem | Feb 23, 2007 8:18:45 PM

13. Cory, I couldn't agree with you more, Lakisha Jones, WOW! She's too good to be a contestant on American Idol. That girl should have a five record recording contract and a 200 city world tour scheduled, not performing as a contestant in a singing competition populated with marginal (at best) singing talent...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Feb 23, 2007 8:32:28 PM

14. Robert in Weho

^5

Simon (hard to please) Cowell said "I'm tempted to tell 23 other people to buy their plane tickets home"

Now if she can keep any xtian anti-gay comments ala Mandisa to herself....She will win this thing hands down. Anybody remember Mandisa and the whole homosexuals can be cured interview? That same week she was sent packing.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Feb 23, 2007 8:49:35 PM

15. Thanks BASIS4INSANITY for expressing my opinions for me. Opinions I don't even actually have. Really, good job.
    Oh wait, I'm being sarcastic (although not quite as much as you).

Posted by: Eric | Feb 23, 2007 8:53:20 PM

16. Mark M: Lol thanks :). I did write 30's and 40's, but for some reason thought it was more 30's (and of course I should have realized it was 40's as it was popular during WWII. DUH lol).

Posted by: Cory | Feb 23, 2007 8:56:59 PM

17. As for Christina Aguilera's video tribute to Betty Hutton's musical singing performance in "The Fleet's In" (Paramount, 1941), I can promise you, Betty Hutton, though called the Blond Bombshell, never sexed it up like Aguilera did in that video. As much as it might appear to be a throwback or a tribute to an earlier era, trust me, that performance and video is very much a "here and now" video project...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Feb 23, 2007 8:57:01 PM

18. to quote the sarge in the flick "stripes," "lighten up frances."

Posted by: bill | Feb 23, 2007 10:36:00 PM

19. F*ck Vijay! I'm not letting it slide. It's derogatory plain and simple.

Posted by: Jack! | Feb 23, 2007 10:58:05 PM

20. I don't think any examples of latent homophobia should be ignored. I think this short clip speaks more about his true (Singh) character than that soon to be bankrupt basketball player and can be far more dangerous.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Feb 23, 2007 11:51:28 PM

21. I loved the degree of hate directed at that white ball. I often use the N word myself when cussing out inanimate objects. Yeah, there is love and hate in all of us. What can we learn from this y'all.

Peace

Posted by: M | Feb 23, 2007 11:51:42 PM

22. Loved the Christina video.

Lakisha is good but she's not better than Hudson. Good try, but lots of room for improvement there. Can sing better than me for sure, but I felt even the lil Bianca did better. I think its slightly unwise for her to pick that song now, big girl and all, especially at the height of Dreamgirls coz you invite comparison. Thanks god it wasnt horrendous, so I salute for effort. But Jennifer Hudson has nothing to worry about Randy.

Posted by: fendie | Feb 24, 2007 12:24:38 AM

23. @Fendie

THANK YOU!!!

Posted by: soulbrotha | Feb 24, 2007 12:53:00 AM

24. Thanks BASIS4INSANITY for expressing my opinions for me. Opinions I don't even actually have. Really, good job.
    Oh wait, I'm being sarcastic (although not quite as much as you).

Posted by: Eric | Feb 23, 2007 8:53:20 PM

Eric if you were trying to be sarcastic or ironic in either of your two posts you missed the boat. In fact you came off as snide in the first one and just lame in the second.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 24, 2007 8:27:01 AM

25. I hope that golf ball files a complaint. Real question is why are most sport stars so stupid? Grown adults should stop idolizing them thus passing this image of "superiority" down to children.

Posted by: Mike | Feb 24, 2007 2:03:15 PM