"Ex-Gays" | Basketball | Hockey | News | Sports | Tom Cavanagh

BigGayDeal.com

Professional Hockey, Gays, and the "Ex-Gays" Who Hate Them

Breakfastwithscot_1The Canadian film Breakfast with Scot (based on a 1999 novel by Michael Downing), which tells the story of a gay couple (a former Toronto Maple Leaf and the team's lawyer) who become the guardians of an eleven-year-old boy struggling to understand his sexuality, is already the target of protests from anti-gay groups, the L.A. Times reports.

The film marks the first time the NHL has approved the use of its uniforms and logos in a gay-themed film, so naturally they're the target. Leading the charge is San Diego-based Christian activist "ex-gay" James Hartline (center in photo below), who hasn't seen the film but feels confident in proclaiming that it sends the wrong message:

Without having seen the movie, Hartline called it "degrading" and condemned the NHL for "promoting homosexualization of small children." He added, "The National Hockey League is now becoming a willing partner with the fringe elements of the radicalized homosexual agenda and their ultimate goal of worldwide sexual anarchy."

Hartline

His dismay is shared by Brian Rushfeldt, co-founder and executive director of the Canada Family Action Coalition. Rushfeldt said the Maple Leafs were "underwriting homosexuality" by permitting the use of their name and logo.

"This is another attempt by certain individuals to normalize homosexual behavior, and they assume that the Maple Leafs will help the cause," Rushfeldt said. "I don't think it does much for the image of the NHL amongst families who may want their children involved in hockey."

The LAT notes that "the NHL has long been insular and conservative", its ice rinks a bastion of macho ideals. The release of Breakfast with Scot in late spring or early summer in Canada, and the recent coming out of former NBA player John Amaechi will certainly cause folks to speculate on what would happen if an NHL player came out of the closet.

CheliosConveniently enough, two current NHL players recently voiced their opinions on the topic, thanks to Amaechi's recent disclosure. Chris Chelios, who plays defense for the Detroit Red Wings, says he wouldn't care if a teammate came out:

Zetterberg_1Henrik Zetterberg, a centre for the Red Wings, said that although a gay player might be hammered on the ice because of his sexuality, gays have as much right to play as anyone else: "I've probably played with a gay guy during some point in my career, but I didn't know about it. I think that if you are gay, you would probably keep it to yourself until you stop playing. I think in games and such, I think they would be on him a lot. Unfortunately right now, I don't think you can play when you're (openly) gay. But they have the right to play hockey, too."

Breakfast with Scot is in its final editing stages, according to the paper. The film does not yet have a U.S. distributor.

NHL breaks ice with role in gay-topic movie [la times]

You may have missed...
NHL Endorses Film about Gay Pro Hockey Player [tr]
Former NBA Player John Amaechi on Outside the Lines: I'm Gay [tr]

Comments

1. WOW! "Worldwide Sexual Anarchy"

Comrades! Let us unite!!!

Posted by: MikeM | Feb 12, 2007 3:16:17 PM

2. Any moron (e.g., Mr. Hartline) can create a "Center" or "Coalition," run it out of their basement or spare closet, and get airtime or bandwidth. Why anyone pays attention to this dipshits is beyond my understanding.

Posted by: homer | Feb 12, 2007 3:35:16 PM

3. Exactly, while is the LAT giving ink to these people?

Posted by: anon | Feb 12, 2007 4:15:38 PM

4. Hartline would be unhappy if I told him my gaydar went off on all three of them - It's people like them that set the level of denial so low that they might be included with the evil devil himself.

REALLY!!!!!!!!!! If they are so great, why do they fear us so much? They are all a**holes and queer too - me thinks.

Posted by: Rocky | Feb 12, 2007 4:30:56 PM

5. Wow - Chris Chelios obviously has not heard of baseball player Mike Piazza and Oprah?

Posted by: Mike | Feb 12, 2007 4:31:02 PM

6. Usually when I see a hateful angry closeted fag condemning homosexuality I say, "Would somebody please sleep with this guy"? But he is just so god damned ugly! Ugh!!!

And we do have a "not gay" parade in NYC. It's called the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Posted by: Todd M. | Feb 12, 2007 4:33:15 PM

7. Worldwide Sexual Anarchy! Wow! I had no idea that was our agenda. My sex life is in such a rut, I could really use some sexual anarchy!

Posted by: sam | Feb 12, 2007 4:38:01 PM

8. Actually, every single day all over the world and on my television, radio and movie screens, my city streets and other small and large cities all over the world, for almost every stinking moment it is a "not gay" parade!!!!!!

Posted by: Todd M. | Feb 12, 2007 4:39:41 PM

9. If someone is underwriting homosexuality, where's my check?

Posted by: jake0526 | Feb 12, 2007 4:53:24 PM

10. F*ck chelios. Most gays don't hold a press conference to let people know they're gay; only celebrities do that because hello they're CELEBRITIES and people like to know their personal business. When i meet someone, i don't say "hey im gay"; i only mention it when someone asks. I hope you burn in hell, bitch.

Posted by: Ben | Feb 12, 2007 5:54:27 PM

11. The usual nonsense. If it was so easy to "homosexualise" someone there'd be no gay people in the western world because we'd all have long been "heterosexualised" by the mass media.

Anyway, sign me up for worldwide sexual anarchy please. :D

Posted by: John C | Feb 12, 2007 6:14:14 PM

12. While I agree that Chelios is clueless saying "I don't see people coming out and saying, 'I'm not gay,' so to me, I never got that. To me, it's a non-issue. I don't understand it; why there are gay marches. Why aren't there not-gay marches?", when people from Tom Cruise, John Revolta and even former Mayor of NYC, Ed Kotch, made headlines with the quote 'I'm not gay'. Chelios not understanding has more to do with him getting hit on the head once too many times than being mean spirited.

Hartline and his Ex-gay idiots are another story. They are doing this with having known they were gay and chose to fight their desires to please others or fear of burning in hell. Not to mention the harm they are doing to gay youth and their families.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Feb 12, 2007 7:10:55 PM

13. Todd M., I agree with your comments 100%.

Posted by: Zeke | Feb 12, 2007 7:51:27 PM

14. Chelios is right that he "doesn't get it" about the need for marches, coming out, etc. However I don't hold that against him. Lots of straight people don't/can't grasp it...It seems to me his point was that he would have no problem with having a gay teammate and that it should be a non-issue. And I am glad he said it. More stars should say so if that is how they feel, and maybe a CURRENT player in some pro sport will finally come out.

Posted by: Craig DC | Feb 12, 2007 9:49:43 PM

15. I just can't understand people sometimes...

Chelios doesn't "get it?" (!!!)

yeah, well I don't "get" the draw to floating around on a frozen over swimming pool with a bunch of other men chasing after a stupid puck. I love when people are like, "well, we don't have str8 pride." Cuz that's when I wish I was on the hockey rink with my hockey stick in hand getting ready to get physical. :-)

Posted by: Derrick | Feb 12, 2007 9:54:56 PM

16. ***"I don't consider it any issue at all. As far as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue. I don't care if a guy comes out and says he's not gay or he comes and says he's gay. Who cares? I don't know who made that an issue. [John Amaechi] wants to go public with it, that's fine. I don't see people coming out and saying, 'I'm not gay,' so to me, I never got that. To me, it's a non-issue. I don't understand it; why there are gay marches. Why aren't there not-gay marches?"***
    a non-issue -- ideal; 20-30 years ago, interracial couple holding hands -- real issue; two men holding hands in asia -- non-issue; u.s.a -- real issue.

sexual anarchy ?? they haven't seen classic pottery or sculpture and please don't show them the kama sutra....and ancient lingam -- they'll be spinning. fertility rocks....sexual anarchy ?? genius....thanks for the idea!!

Posted by: ricardo | Feb 13, 2007 2:18:48 AM

17. celios of all people !?!

there were always rumours about him having had a thing with franco pop singer Roch Voisine when they lived together in Montreal

Posted by: Mallone | Feb 13, 2007 8:51:08 AM

18. I think Chelios' point was that a players' sexuality was a non-issue to him.

Posted by: Frank | Feb 13, 2007 12:43:42 PM

19. Just wanted to direct your attention to this great article in the Nation about John Amaechi's coming out at the NBA.
    I know Amaechi is black but do you think his coming out rates a bit more coverage in a gay blog than Michael Phelps' mustache?

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Feb 14, 2007 7:56:53 AM

20. worldwide sexual anarchy?? .... ted haggard said it first!!

Posted by: ricardo | Mar 2, 2007 4:22:58 PM

21. Habfans.com site is the best for Gay hockey fans, with trivia shows, guests and prizes. They also blog meetings, politics, as well as get togethers. They have a great pictoial of naked hickey players in their LOCKER ROOM site. Habfans.com the future of the internet.

Posted by: cournoyer | Mar 19, 2008 6:30:55 PM