CAA Adds Hatemonger Michael Savage to its Client List

Creative Artists Agency (CAA) sent out a press release this week trumpeting their signing of talk show host Michael Savage (Savage Nation).

Savage_michaelSavage is a notorious homophobe, anti-semite, and racist whose show Savage Nation, reaches 8 million households weekly across America on a total of 370 radio stations.

Just this week Savage unleashed a hateful tirade against gays as he discussed Melissa Etheridge’s Academy Awards win and her show of affection toward her partner Tammy Lynn Michaels. With regard to a post from earlier this morning, Savage’s comments make Australian radio host John Laws’ pillow biter comments sound like child’s play. Savage:

“I don’t like a woman married to a woman. It makes me want to puke. How’s that? I want to vomit when I hear it…I want to puke when I hear about a woman married to a woman raising children because, frankly, I think that it’s child abuse to do that to children without their permission. What does a child know? Ask them when they’re 16 whether they want to be raised by two lesbians or two men. What are the two men doing behind the other wall? You think the children don’t hear it?”

Etheridge_tammy_lynnWhen a caller phoned in to Savage’s show asking what he should tell his children, who saw Etheridge give Michaels a kiss on national television, Savage responded:

“I will tell you how you answer it: You say there are people who are sexually confused, who think that they’re men when they’re women. They’re not normal. Normal people are not like that. Normal people are like Mommy and Daddy. Mommy and Daddy are normal. There are people who are not normal, who have a confusion in their head, and they think they’re a man even though they look like a woman. That’s what you have to say to them otherwise the child will grow up confused.”

Listen to Savage’s entire hateful rant at Media Matters, where you can also find contact information for Michael Savage.

Rather than heralding the arrival of Savage to their client list, CAA should be hanging their heads in shame for supporting this hatemonger.

Creative Artists Agency Supports Hate-Speak, Homophobia and Anti-Semitism [boozhy]
Savage on gay marriage, parenting: “It makes me want to puke. … I think it’s child abuse” [media matters]

Comments

1. says

Call CAA and express your disappointment in their decision to promote hatred in America and encourage them to drop Savage from the ranks of their representation.
    CAA’s phone number is 424.288.2000.
    Ask for partners Bryan Lourd, Richard Lovett, Lee Gabler or Rick Nicita.

2. the other jeff says

Bryan Lourd is one the dons of the velvet mafia. A total queen who is actively involved in picking up major clients. It’s show BUSINESS. What are they gonna do? Pass on a client that will make them tons of money?

And is Michael Savage inferring that kids want to hear their straight parents having sex? Gay or not, no kid wants to overhear that. What a hateful dick.

3. Rad says

Considering the increased reports of hate crime activity, it’s no wonder pinheads like this find both an audience and sponsorship.

What is this world coming to?

4. james says

What kind of crazy media world do we live in when the FCC will fine CBS for showing Janet Jackson’s breast but allow a hate-filled man like Michael Savage unfettered access to the airwaves?

5. Matt says

He brings in a lot of money. It would be a bad business decision not to bring him in. I find him disgusting but I would probably do the same thing to better my business.

6. scientitian says

This dude is kinda sketchy…under his actual name, Michael Weiner (too perfect), he has published a couple dozen books on herbal healing and the like, and under Michael Savage has published ultra right-wing crap about liberal conspiracies. Sounds to me like he’s trying to hide his political views from his medicinal book-buying audience with the name switch and all.

7. Big Dave says

Michael Savage IS GAY!!!!
    I know this for a fact. He will never admit it though.

It’s very unfortunate that we have to get such an ugly self-hating closet case like this, but that’s what life deals us sometimes.

8. Leland says

Yes, CAA should be the target, particularly all the geld sucking queens there. Forget trying to actually change Savage whose nom de hate was obviously very consciously chosen. But I would sure endorse harassing him and his sponsors into changing for the same reason they’re there, again, blood money.

Actually, Rad, it’s the other way around—hate crimes are not the cause of such shows but, in part, the product of them.

Und Guten Morgen Hitler Jugen Matt. How’s your Concentration Camp Guard training going?

9. Becks07 says

LELAND — it’s “Hitlerjugend” (all one word with a D at the end), but good point nonetheless.

The argument that CAA made a good business decision is, perhaps, correct in a pure vacuum market. A market where there is, in other words, only the law of capitalism and no thought for corporate social responsibility.

I work for a financial services company, and I am sure we could drive more revenue by direct marketing to racists (“Sign up now for Lynch Mob Checking and receive a free toaster!”), homophobes (“One quarter point off every God Hates Fags Adjustable ARM!”) or other unsavory group, but we elect not to.

In fact, we elect not to do business with several industries and groups precisely because they do not fit with our corporate vision of a relatively just and fair world where more is done to build communities than to knock them down.

So what does this decision say about CAA in this regard?

Does CAA want to communicate to the world that they believe Michael Savage’s views are valuable to a better world?

Does CAA believe Michael Savage adds to the enhancement of the world of “creative artists?”

Or, does CAA not even have a corporate social responsibility stand and are, thus, theoretically open to representing the next Joseph Goebbels if it could deliver incremental revenue?

I do not have the answer, but I suggest all of us call the number posted helpfully above and ask.

GJ

10. Rey says

Call CAA. Just call them.

You’ll be talking to an intern most likely, so keep that in mind.

If any of you know anybody represented by CAA, please ask them to consider going to another agency. This is just vile.

And it’s even more ludicrous being that Bryan Lourd, Carrie Fisher’s gay ex-husband, is one of the top dogs there.

Disgusting.

11. John says

Gay organizations and we all should also call upon actors and other clients who are represented by CAA and who do not want to be associated with this despicable lowlife to drop CAA.

CAA is not the only game in town, and losing clients of this will illustrate market forces for them. After all, money talks.

12. Will says

The love of money is the root of all evil. Anything for a buck, huh? Maybe when you are starving and homeless but those bastards are raking in plenty so taking on Savage is not necessary and by doing so they show what craven little fucks they are.

13. dc-20008 says

The BEST part of the Oscars was when Melissa won and got it from Queen Latifah and John Travolta–could that show have gotten any gayer? Intersting that Savage didn’t note that!

14. Psychedelic Pariah says

Like him or not, he’s a cash cow. You’d be a fool to pass him up. Yes, it’s about money, ratings, listeners. He’s a guy who doesn’t like poofs — so what. Move on.org if you don’t like him.

15. peterparker says

Everyone reading this might also want to know that Rockstar Energy Drink is owned by Michael Savage’s son…so DON’T drink Rockstar Energy Drink!

Look under ‘Trivia’ at the bottom of Michael Savage’s wikipedia page for more information about Savage’s son: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Savage_%28commentator%29

And here’s more information about Savage’s son: http://blatherwatch.blogs.com/talk_radio/2005/10/michael_savage_.html

And more info: http://www.nndb.com/people/588/000044456/

(Apologies to Andy for linking to other sites, but I thought people might want to see it for themselves)>)

16. Cory says

WILL: Excellent point. Exactly. Money is no excuse for taking on an individual whose viewpoints and actions are antithetical to a better society and to the lifestyles of the owners and managers of the agency. If Hitler were alive today and a cash cow, would CAA sign him up? Very sad…

17. Marco says

Psychedelic Pariah,

He doesn’t like us but can’t seem to shut his fucking pie hole about gays and their sex lives. I guess it’s okay for stupid conservative trolls to say what they want, but when us “poofs” mouth off, we’re supossed to move on.

Fuck off.

18. peterparker says

I think a letter writing campaign is in order:

Bryan Lourd

Los Angeles, CA 90067

Rick Nicita
    Co-Chairman, Creative Artists Agency
    2000 Avenue of the Stars
    Los Angeles, CA 90067

19. mark m says

I think it’s refreshing that the conservatives on this blog are actually being honest about what really motivates them.

Money.

It’s just amusing to me that bigots like Savage and gay Republicans are in the same camp as religious conservatives. Could each group be any more antithetical to each other?

What the gays do offends the religious nuts. What the religious nuts believe is often rejected by the money-grubbers. True Christians SHOULD be put off by people who are obsessed with the accumulation of wealth or have bigoted views.

What binds them all is their hatred of liberals… evil liberals who are more concerned with human needs than material ones.

Laughable.

20. Psychedelic Pariah says

What really frightens me is a simple mind. People who believe they have something or someone all figured out.

What motivates me (for example) is not money, but rather, the freedom to express ourselves and our opinions — loathsome (to some) or not.

While I don’t “hate” liberals per se, I do find them to be an emotional lot, moved more by their boo-hoo feelings than by their intellectual prowess (or lack thereof).

I report, you decide.

And as far as Savage being unable to “…shut his fucking pie hole about gays and their sex lives…” Christ, Marco, gays themselves can’t even shut up and stop talking about their sex lives. So why should the gawkers?

Simple minds, simple pleasures. Go cry in your pillow.

21. John says

I think celebrities like Travis Baker, Fergie, Randy Jackson, etc. who are allowing their images and names to be associated with Rockstar Energy Drink should be made aware of Michael Savage’s association with the company. (His son is basically a front it seems.)

Boycott and vehement protest can be effective.

22. Matt says

I’m not saying he is a great person. What i’m saying is he has a right to free speech just like everyone who has commented on this blog has the right to say they don’t like him and they have the right to boycott him. This company will make a ton of money off of him. It’s just a fact. Some companies do business differently than others. It is your right to boycott him. Gay republicans get slammed on this blog but I would think that Liberals would be okay with him saying what he wanted and not the government not stepping on his right to free speech.

23. SFshawn says

Since when does HATE speech equate to FREE speech??? Especially on the PUBLIC airwaves. I hope CAA in their greed for more $$$ lose clients and customers who don’t want to be associated with perpetuating such incredible intolerance,hatred,stupidity and ugliness in our society.

24. Da says

Hey guys, if you allow me I’ll post my comment from the similar story about the Aussie radio host.
    ______

I’m once again tempted to believe that an international debate/education on the concepts of “free speech” and “hate speech” needs to be done.

–“Free speech” is the ability to express onself freely, even if it’s controversial and unpopular. And it’s a basic human right which we all know…

–“Hate speech” imo is just a subgroup of free speech, and according to historycentral.com it’s any “speech which is used to deliberately offend an individual; or racial, ethnic, religious or other group. Such speech generally seeks to condemn or dehumanize the individual or group; or express anger, hatred, violence or contempt toward them.”

The words used by this radio host fit the definition of hate speech. just replace his insults at Carson with any gender or racial attribute and it’s clear as day..

This said hate speech doesn’t have to be made unlawful – but it’s urgently primordial that it starts being called *by its name* in the media because this frequent confusion is sending the message to the population that it’s ok for a radio host, a teacher, a politician, or any person in power & with influence towards a large audience to spew basically any kind of hateful remarks against a group of people, or racial, sexual orientation minority, and hide behind the “free speech” excuse.

Especially where there is PROFIT to be made for promoting hateful speech (monetary, or in political influence points) I think judges have to be a little more cautious in the wording of their rulings, because it’s not just the gay community who is going to lose, it’s everyone.

___________

Bottom line, I applaud your efforts to hold the companies promote this man accountable. If they do knowing in full conscience and can stand by their decisions, then fine. They just need to come out and say it.

And you too have the right to stand your ground. So keep writing!!!

25. mark m says

Pariah, I’ll grant you that many liberals wear their hearts on their sleeves, but I’ll take a weepy liberal over a bloodthirsty fascist any day. If weepy is the worst you can say about a liberal then that just illustrates my point.

It’s interesting that you should bring up intelligence and logic in your description of the conservative viewpoint. You see, because from where I sit, I see a lot of non-thinking born-agains who mock science and allow their faith in Christ to take over their emotions. Logic is replaced by mindless zeal and conformity.

So why don’t conservative Christians piss you off as much as liberals?

26. JSC says

^^^when a conservative says he hates liberals, what he is saying is he hates what most liberals are,which is women, blacks, gays.

most conservatives are bigots. but they rarely admit it publicly.

27. lolah says

So why don’t conservative Christians piss you off as much as liberals?

Posted by: mark m | Mar 1, 2007 5:18:02 PM

My guess is that Psychedelic Pariah is just a hypocritical moron. Or a troll who wants to piss off most of the readers here. Either way, he craves the cock like Savage, so it’s ok. =P

28. evans says

The Radio dept hired him over the weekend – (newest dept there) and when the partners found out this morning – they FIRED him instantly on the spot – he is NOT repped by CAA !

29. Psychedelic Pariah says

Astonishing. I never ever said anything even remotely like that. The point I was trying to make was that we’re all entitled to our views, whether they’re popular with a certain lot or not.

So can you see why I think that most libs are kinda intellectually vapid?

And for Lolah, let’s keep it from devolving into ad hominems, can we? I like to resort to cool words (you know, like all the really big ones you’ve probably never seen before) as opposed to words like “troll” or “moron.”

And is saying that I crave cock supposed to be a perjorative? Hmm, think about the irony. Typical.

In the end, all we have are the cards we’re dealt. Eh?

30. mark m says

“You made my point once again. How did you ever arrive at a conclusion that would lead you to ask this question: “So why don’t conservative Christians piss you off as much as liberals?”

Nice bit of evasive maneuvering. You managed to avoid my question by questioning my reasoning.

I think I adequately demonstrated how many conservatives (not you obviously but MANY others) rely not on logic and intelligence but on emotional, hysterical faith-based reasoning.

So my question remains unanswered: Why do liberals with their emotional, intellectually vapid ways bother you more than some of your fellow logic-starved, science-hating conservatives…?

I’m still waiting :)

31. JSC says

Mark M why are you trying to corner a fool? he’ll never tell you the truth. he hates all the groups that are usually classified as liberal. blacks, women, gays. so what if he’s in bed with about 20 million religious fanatics. at least most of them are white.

he’ll never admit that of course.

32. Psychedelic Pariah says

Mark: Touche. The answer to your question is that both groups annoy me because they rely too heavily on feelings and on the assumption that others should feel as they do.

That fact that I’m a gay man does not mean that I have to fall in line with the group think so prevalent on this site. Savage is an idiot, but I defend his right to be that.

Group think, like the dictum put forth to boycott Rockstar. Why? Because the company is owned by Savage’s son. What does that have to do with Savage? Must the son suffer for the sins of his father?

On the other hand, if their is sufficient legitimate evidence that the son should be boycotted, go forth.

It’s that kind of hysteria that chaps my ass, thus, my tirade. I sincerely hope that I answered your question because I’m really NOT trying to evade the discussion. In fact, I welcome it. You speak well and don’t appear prone to name-calling hystrionics like some of the other trogolodytes populating this cesspool.

Cheers. :)

33. mark m says

Pariah, thank you for conceding that people on both sides can be prone to hysterics. You know what? Some liberals chap my hide too. In fact, it’s the rush to hysterics that often bothers me about the liberal mindset. That’s why I try to stay a bit more centered than that… to ensure I am not ruling out a more logical viewpoint.

However, I’m not going to lie. I make a lot of decisions based on my own intuition and what my “heart” tells me. I see a lot of conservatives as cold, stubborn, and close-minded. Most of which are of the Born Again variety (of which I used to belong). I am much easier, however on Moderate Republicans, of which I have few negative things to say.

It just bothers me when a smart Republican falls into that “Liberals suck” mindset because those religious nuts in his party seem to me to be the greater threat.

But thank you for pointing out that people are not divided by parties and thank you also for keeping this about ideas and not getting personal.

34. Psychedelic Pariah says

Mark, yes, I agree. I might come off as one, but in RL I am not a cold, stubborn, close-minded republican. Conservative and Republican, yes, but there’s a hell of a lot more to me (and to most, I’d dare say) than just my political views.

I enjoyed the banter with you. And hey, there’s nothing wrong with a liberal who sucks. ;P

35. martin says

I used to work at CAA, they are a bunch of self-absorbed, arrogant gay snobs and hypocrites; seemingly nice on the surface but vicious, ruthless and demoralized/evil inside; I would say they rank few human grades below a common car salesman…one should see the way agents treat their assistants…power and money is their god; I had MARINES sticker on my truck (this was during the first weeks of war in Iraq); I put it up after noticing lame WAR IS NOT AN ANSWER sticker on one of their client’s Porsche, Jag, Benz or BMW–do not remember anymore–in their garage… they fired my ass before the month has ended…yes, very tolerant and open minded people they are…one either fits into such crowd or doesn’t; serve God or serve Satan…take your pick. I was glad not working there anymore, working there was a moral dilemma for me.