Christine Quinn | Eliot Spitzer | Ireland | New York | News

BigGayDeal.com

Like Quinn, Eliot Spitzer Says No to St. Pat's Parade

SpitzerNew York Governor Eliot Spitzer will not be marching in this weekend' St. Patrick's Day parade, making him the first governor in 12 years not to take part. Earlier this month, it was announced that openly gay New York City Council Speaker Christine Quinn would refuse to march in the parade because of its policy against allowing gays and lesbians to march. Quinn decided she'll march in Dublin, Ireland instead.

It is being suggested that Spitzer is taking a stand against the policy as well:

"Though a source in the governor’s office refused to say if Spitzer was declining a place in the line of march in support of the continued exclusion of Irish gay groups, it is believed that the governor took this issue into consideration when making his decision not to participate. Spitzer has gone on record as a strong supporter of gay rights. The New York St. Patrick’s Day Parade since 1991 has denied permission to Irish gay and lesbian groups to march under their own banner, and a series of court challenges have failed to remove the ban."

In addition to his consistent support of gay rights and issues, Spitzer made a promise during his gubernatorial campaign to introduce legislation that would allow gays to marry in New York.

You may have missed...
Spitzer Aide Insists: Gay Marriage Still on the Agenda [tr]
Eliot Spitzer: "We Will Make [Gay Marriage] Law in New York" [tr]

Comments

1. Wow! A politician who puts his rhetoric into action.

Posted by: rudy | Mar 16, 2007 9:11:04 AM

2. I love Spitzer. Also, fuck those red-nosed Irish bastards.

Posted by: Martin | Mar 16, 2007 9:18:56 AM

3. Not all Irish bastards have red noses. Some of us are even gay.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Mar 16, 2007 9:27:35 AM

4. The Irish back in Ireland couldn't give a fuck if a bunch of homos marched in the Paddy's Day parade. It's been 15 years since I've been to one though so I don't know in what manner they do march. Probably low key. No topless men anyway.

Posted by: EireKev | Mar 16, 2007 9:43:45 AM

5. He is one of the few politicans I admire. Bravo!

Posted by: Jack! | Mar 16, 2007 9:44:17 AM

6. I'm all for Spitzer making a stand and not being a tool, but isn't this a little melodramatic? "Making him the first Governor in 12 years not to take part?" Isn't he just the second Governor we've had in 12 years?

Posted by: MT | Mar 16, 2007 9:55:23 AM

7. Big. Brass. Ones. Spitzer is devoted to fair and real reform of one of the most ingrained, inert state governments. And he's sticking it to the anti-gay hypocrite Joseph Bruno, who in the end now even wheels and deals the gay rights bill to save his own neck. That's Republican integrity for you.

Posted by: bambambam | Mar 16, 2007 10:18:42 AM

8. God. I love him so much. I remember when he was going after Big Music for payola and how much I admired him. This is just gravy! :)

Posted by: RSL | Mar 16, 2007 10:19:15 AM

9. I know, Mike. I actually love Irishmen. I do. Especially Irishmen who live in Ireland and have those sexy accents.

Posted by: Martin | Mar 16, 2007 10:21:39 AM

10. MT, why yes, as a matter of fact you could even say Spitzer is the FIRST governor since the incompetent and purportedly "moderate" Republican Pataki to abstain from the parade.

Pataki stood by and called himself "moderate" while enabling gay-hating hypocrites to take over the Republican Party. That's certainly more helpful to us.

Posted by: bambambam | Mar 16, 2007 10:22:14 AM

11. I think the spokesperson meant to say, "...refused to say if Spitzer was declining a place in the line of march IN PROTEST OF (not "in support of") the continued exclusion of Irish gay groups."

Regardless, Way to go Spitz!

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 16, 2007 10:27:28 AM

12. Sorry. I didn't mean to imply Pataki wasn't a tool. Lord knows he was, and we are SOOOOO lucky to finally have someone who's going to make a difference. (I hope)

Posted by: MT | Mar 16, 2007 10:35:50 AM

13. I don't hate Irish people, it's the immoral Irish lifestyle that I have a problem with. Why do they have to parade their Irishness in the streets and shove their lifestyle down our throats? Same goes for those skirt wearin, pole throwin Scots!

/sarcasm from a Scots/Irish homo.

Posted by: Zeke | Mar 16, 2007 10:36:43 AM

14. I would hate to be a gay nurse in New York City *conflicted*

Posted by: Gregoire | Mar 16, 2007 11:08:11 AM

15. In Ireland gay groups march in the parade under their own banners; this Saturday Christine Quinn will march with the Lord Mayor of Dublin and gay rights activist Senator David Norris.

But in New York the Ancient Order of Hibernians runs the parade. They're a conservative, Catholic, Republican minority that comes to town each year to piss all over Ireland, New York and 21st century.

So it’s not an Irish parade at all, in fact. It’s a conservative Catholic American parade with a lot of green.

Posted by: FASTLAD | Mar 16, 2007 11:15:45 AM

16. BTW, Eliot Spitzer is hot.

Posted by: FASTLAD | Mar 16, 2007 11:16:41 AM

17. Fastlad, you are correct. That is all.

Posted by: bambambam | Mar 16, 2007 11:37:08 AM

18. Spitzer is a major fucking turn-on. I'd let him drill me all day and night.

Posted by: Charlie | Mar 16, 2007 12:15:43 PM

19. "... because of its policy against allowing gays and lesbians to march."

I doubt that individual gays and lesbians are prohibited, just groups with a gay and lesbian focus. Why does it seem like every inaccuracy on this site errs on the side of making things appear more dire than they are? Without propaganda, I guess it would be hard to get the masses riled up ....

Posted by: Stickler | Mar 16, 2007 12:52:26 PM

20. Kiss an Irishman's ass, Stickler. If you sincerely don't understand that Andy was clearly referring to the years-old controversy over gay GROUPS being banned from the parade, then you're simply stupid.

Posted by: Leland | Mar 16, 2007 1:09:10 PM

21. "I doubt that individual gays and lesbians are prohibited, just groups with a gay and lesbian focus."

You're arguing semantics. That hardly makes this a matter of propoganda. But I guess a conservative without an agenda is an oxymoron.

Posted by: mark m | Mar 16, 2007 1:46:26 PM

22. Agreed, Spitzer is one cool, sexy motherfucker (with a foul mouth to boot- yum!) - it will be interesting to see what he does with the state.

Posted by: Giovanni | Mar 16, 2007 1:53:00 PM

23. Gov. thanks for the college loan. You are a class act. Paid in full.

Posted by: Fred77054 | Mar 16, 2007 2:16:12 PM

24. I met Spitzer while I worked the Garden Party for the Center when he first ran for AG. He spent so much time walking and talking to each group. When I saw him running in Central Park a few months after he won the election, he remembered me and where we met. He seems to be a man of his word, principled, and yes hot.

As for "Spitzer won't march, Quinn won't march (this is a big deal); even more pressure will be applied behind the scenes to make the dinosaurs of the AOH (none are under 65) come to heel finally."

Sadly this is not true. Yes it's great more pressure is being put, now that the Dems are back in power, and I'd love nothing more than to see the AOH die away, but their membership is not all over 65. I know because I went to the Parade last year, thinking that after my Uncle passed away, the bigotry would as well. When I got home and read the statement that Dunleavy gave it made me sick.

My Uncle was in charge of the Parade for the past few decades and hand picked Dunleavy. While many of his peers are dying off, the AOH has just as many who are young. My brothers who are in their 30's to 50's and my nephews. While my nephews are fare less homophobic, my brothers sadly are not. So the AOH may change with time, when people who were raised in by my Uncles generation, it will be years until I go back to the Parade.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Mar 16, 2007 7:47:22 PM

25. Happy St. Patrick's Day from Ireland!

I just wanted to let ye all know that most Irish Americans don't really represent the potato-munching Celts from this side of the Atlantic. Our parades are just excuses to have fun and celebrate life, and we really couldn't give a feck who marches in them, so long as there's Guinness on tap! :)

Have a great weekend and come visit us here in Dublin - we love American accents!!!

Posted by: Con | Mar 16, 2007 10:36:50 PM