American Idol | Barbara Gittings | Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Food & Drink | Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | Genetics | James McGreevey | John Waters | Larry Kramer | Mario Vazquez | New Hampshire | New York | News | Religion

News: Tonya Harding, Pizza, Barbara Gittings, Genetics

road.jpg Statements by Baptist minister Rev. R. Albert Mohler Jr. that if a biological basis for homosexuality were proven then prenatal treatment to reverse gay orientation would be biblically justified have inspired criticism from the right and left. Harry Knox, HRC: "He's willing to play God. He's more than willing to let homophobia take over and be the determinant of how he responds to this issue, in spite of everything else he believes about not tinkering with the unborn."

Gittings_2road.jpg Better late than never? Nearly a month after her death, the NYT publishes pioneering gay activist Barbara Gittings' obituary. Perhaps they heard the cries of Larry Kramer.

road.jpg New York magazine has a few questions for photographer Patrick McMullan.

road.jpg Activists, law students in Maine lobby for changes to "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".

Seacrestroad.jpg Ryan Seacrest works it out.

road.jpg Supporters outnumber opponents at New Hampshire gay marriage hearing.

road.jpg The lawyer for Magdaleno Olmos, the former assistant production accountant on American Idol who recently accused former contestant Mario Vazquez of propositioning him, speaks out about his client's claim that he was fired from the show for reporting the incident. Lawyer Matt Matern: "I believe it (Vazquez's departure) was not voluntary in any way shape or form. There were meetings held on that same day with the executives Nigel Lythgoe and Ken Warwick, with my client and with the attorneys for ‘American Idol.' They asked my client what had happened. Then I believe they interviewed Mr. Vazquez that same day, brought my client back in for a second interview and [I'm told], Nigel Lythgoe, put his arm around my client and said, ‘we know that this happened and we are going to let Mario Vazquez go, and you're going to stay.'"

Tonya_hardingroad.jpg Tweaked out Tonya Harding calls cops after having visions of animals.

road.jpg Filmmaker John Waters has a Christmastime kids movie in the works entitled Fruitcake.

road.jpg Congressman spearheading repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" announces he may be leaving office to become Chancellor of UMASS Lowell.

road.jpg Is Jim McGreevey ready to become a gay activist?

road.jpg New York restaurant presents the $1,000 pizza.

Comments

1. I work out too. Post my picture.
    I swear...

Posted by: 000000 | Mar 15, 2007 2:51:50 PM

2. After reading the full article regarding the Southern Baptist Minister, I tend to agree that we should focus on the positives here. This is a man with strong convictions who is now opening his understanding to include the possibility that homosexuality is biological. That's a HUGE leap for that band of the human species! Yes, he's way off base about re-engineering the fetus before it's born, but let's take this one step at a time. Let's first get them to admit that their God made us this way, then we can address the other issues as they fall out. I see this as big progress.

Posted by: Wayne | Mar 15, 2007 3:08:37 PM

3. I disagree Wayne. This is another example of how the fundes and fanatics truly have no priniciples and will tinker with "holy" scripture to justify their petty beliefs.

I believe once it's revealed that homosexuality/bisexuality, has a basis in genetics/biology, your going to see the bigots do a 180 on abortion and they're going to start their sentences with "I believe in abortion...BUT..."

I seriously, seriously think it's time the GLBT community consider this because not only is a future where GLBT babies are aborted regularly is s mstter of possibility. It's a matter of time.

Posted by: Silas | Mar 15, 2007 3:54:48 PM

4. Marty Meehan is definately giving up his seat in congress for the job at UMass. He already accepted the job. It was widely reported here yesterday on the news in Massachusetts.

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 15, 2007 3:56:30 PM

5. So Silas, it sounds like what you're saying is that if they don't give you everything you want then you don't want any of it. I'll respect your opinion but I disagree. I do see this as a big step in the right direction.

Posted by: Wayne | Mar 15, 2007 4:31:22 PM

6. One of the worst things about the Mohler statement (aside from its proximity to that well-known band of eugenicists in 1930s Germany) is he wrote a considered piece against Coulter's recent "faggot" remarks. He condemns her for that yet doesn't see how he's agreeing with her and so many like her that being gay is wrong, sinful, makes you a lesser human being, etc.

What's worse, calling someone a faggot or suggesting that the world would be a better place if a large portion of humanity was exterminated?

Posted by: John C | Mar 15, 2007 4:42:10 PM

7. "So Silas, it sounds like what you're saying is that if they don't give you everything you want then you don't want any of it."

Simply, no. That isn't what I'm saying. But in regards to your assertion and the issue at hand, yes. Do you want me to sit here and wait for these infantile minded fanatics to take their time in calling me worthy of human status?

Posted by: Silas | Mar 15, 2007 5:31:15 PM

8. You better believe that Mohler's comments are only the beginning. More and more people will be adopting his position that gay people need to be changed to straight or aborted. Last week I was on a forum where several people said that they couldn't wait for generic testing to screen out gay children.

Read the responses here:

Read this article for all you want to know about christian fundamentalists:

It's apalling that Barbara and her life partner had to move into an assisted living facility.

Nice to hear gay marriage supporters outnumber that haters.

Posted by: Jack! | Mar 15, 2007 5:35:13 PM

9. Thanks SO much for the "NY Times" obituary of Barbara Gittings, Andy! I suppose some might dismiss her, too, as a wornout symbol of "divisiveness."

“....When she was a teenager, her father caught her reading 'The Well of Loneliness', the 1928 novel of lesbian love by the English writer Radclyffe Hall. He told her to burn the book. He did so by letter, for he could not bring himself to speak to her. ....

'Before Barbara died, we went jointly into an assisted-living facility here', [her companion of 46 years and fellow veteran activist Kay] Lahusen said by telephone. 'Our last bit of activism was to come out in the newsletter of our assisted-living facility.'"

It is to weep......

Posted by: Leland | Mar 15, 2007 6:04:05 PM

10. I think $1,000 pizza is immoral. There are hundreds of millions hungry children on our planet.

Posted by: John | Mar 15, 2007 7:48:49 PM

11. I also disagree, Wayne, re the Southern Baptist. For him, fetal tampering is the corollary of the genetic argument; i.e. his "acceptance" of the biological argument is conditional upon the possibility of genetic altering; hence the "change" in his attitude. The two are inseparable. If it appears that genetic tampering isn't ultimately possible (and the science for it is weak), they will abandon it in favour of the "immoral lifestyle" argument, which they continue to peddle simultaneously, since they reserve the right to have it all ways...

I find this kind of research abhorrent in any event, are they attempting to determine a genetic basis for heterosexuality? Of course not. The origins of homo/bi/hetero sexuality are all genetic i.e. they are all an innate part of human sexuality and should be regarded as natural.

Posted by: atheist | Mar 16, 2007 9:00:39 AM