Deadlee | Film | Hip-Hop | Music | News | Religion | Sports | Swimming | Terrence Howard

Terrence Howard: Don't Judge Gays Because We All Sin

Pride_poster

Terrence Howard, currently starring in Pride, a film with the gayest key art and title ever for a film having nothing to do with homosexuals (it's about a swim team for troubled black teens), recently said that although he disagrees with homosexuality, he can't judge others because he too has sinned, though not in the Biblical homosexual sense:

Said Howard, who made the statement with an eye on the homo-bashing Hip-Hop community: "Do I agree with homosexuality? No, I'm a Bible-based young man. But I know the Bible also speaks about homosexuality with liars, adulterers, thieves. I've lied, I've cheated on my wife, I've stolen. So how can I judge somebody for something that's mentioned in the same exact scripture? I believe we're all sinners. We're all trying to make it but our hip-hop community are a bunch of hypocrites right now."

You may have missed...
Gay Rapper Deadlee: Homophobic Eminem Picks Easy Targets [tr]
Rapper Deadlee Calls Out Homophobic Eminem, 50 Cent, and DMX [tr]

Comments

1. So Howard is only *slightly* less of an asshole than I thought.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | Mar 12, 2007 5:31:41 PM

2. yeah and we all know lying, cheating, and stealing are just as terrible as loving someone. what an idiot.

Posted by: peterparker | Mar 12, 2007 5:32:32 PM

3. ignorant. but then, he's only a stupid actor.

Posted by: david | Mar 12, 2007 5:34:42 PM

4. Does he go to church with Jennifer Hudson?

Posted by: sam | Mar 12, 2007 5:40:11 PM

5. just another uninformed, brainwashed actor.

Posted by: dattexas | Mar 12, 2007 5:42:37 PM

6. Terrance Howard has man breastezes!!!

Yug!

Posted by: yuggg | Mar 12, 2007 5:49:23 PM

7. Bitch better never EVER be seen eating a shrimp or I'll slap him with a Hypocrite citation.

Wonder how he feels about smiting adulterers?

Why am I wasting my keystrokes on some c-list nobody?

Posted by: CF | Mar 12, 2007 5:49:51 PM

8. I totally thought Terrance Howard was gay. I mean, totally. I guess he's not? But who did he cheat on his wife with, I wonder?

Posted by: ebsur | Mar 12, 2007 5:53:12 PM

9. Even though I personally disagree with his personal beliefs I respect it. There's no hate coming from his beliefs. This is not a "I hate homosexuals" statement. Like it or love it there are many many people who believe that Homosexuality is a sin. Again I don't agree but I don't hold it against him. They're just his beliefs. I would much rather deal with a person like him than with someone who calls themselves a "christian" on one hand and thinks I'm going to hell alone.

Posted by: db | Mar 12, 2007 5:54:16 PM

10. What a jerk. Does he consider fornication outside of the bounds of wedlock to be sin? Because I'm betting he's doing it right now. I read he's dating Naomi Campell - do you suppose the 'biblical young man' goes on hand-holding dates to the local pizza parlor with Naomi? Do you suppose they kiss goodnight outside her Manhattan penthouse (without tongue!) when he drops her off after bowling? Puh-lease! What a double standard.

Posted by: AMS | Mar 12, 2007 6:03:46 PM

11. As I wrote with J-Hud, I appreciate that Howard is at least trying to make an effort to reconcile his religious beliefs with his discomfort with homophobia.

It amazes me how people are so quick to call him stupid and brain washed -- isn't Howard's "live and let live" and "who am I to judge" attitude the best possible one we can really hope for in a pluralistic society?

It wasn't so long ago that mainstream black celebrities were making awful f*g jokes (Eddie Murphy) or playing up their discomfort with gay roles (Will Smith). Hudson and Howard's recent remarks might not make some of the people here happy, but at least they're displaying a forward evolution for a community that is often decried as homophobic.

Posted by: Jason | Mar 12, 2007 6:06:28 PM

12. Jason, good use of examples of two of Hollywood's biggest closet cases: Will Smith and Eddie Murphy. (Just ask Johnny Gill!)

Maybe Terence doth protest too much, as well...

Posted by: nyc | Mar 12, 2007 6:08:41 PM

13. As I mentioned in another post

jesus healed the Roman centurion's SLAVE without one word or teaching against said slavery. Never one teaching against slavery which spread far and wide in the ancient world. the Roman centurion in particular under roman law was allowed to rape, beat, kill, own said slave's children, etc his slave which jesus so obligingly healed so said slave could go slave away for another man being unable to escape said slavery via death. paul wrote "slaves OBEY your masters"

The bible should have the new title "myths for idiots"

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Mar 12, 2007 6:09:25 PM

14. Amen, Brother JimmyBoyd. Amen.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 12, 2007 6:31:47 PM

15. I wonder how one can "disagree" with homosexuality? What is next - "disagreement" with gravity? Time? Weather?

Posted by: paxx | Mar 12, 2007 6:35:20 PM

16. I think the point of sin is that you can criticize the sinner and judge them. The problem is the miscategorization of sin. That and the list is a bit moldy.

Posted by: anon | Mar 12, 2007 6:45:42 PM

17. Folk calm down. First he's an actor so why we care is beyond me. Second, while his words are not perfect they show more sensitivity than we usually hear. I'll take Howard any day of the week over someone else mouthing anti-gay junk.

Posted by: James | Mar 12, 2007 6:54:58 PM

18. Michael :-)

James....Oh wow, so we should grovel before this fool and thank our lucky stars that at least he isn't trying to kill us. F that. How about no homophobia at all as the goal instead of 'at least he isn't.....blah blah blah"

get some pride man :-)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Mar 12, 2007 7:03:40 PM

19. In before the shit storm!

Posted by: Je | Mar 12, 2007 7:17:57 PM

20. Jimmyboyo,

I don't think anyone is saying grovel. People are just expressing their opinion on his comment. No I don't think people should grovel but I also don't think that they should condemn him because he has a religious belief.

Posted by: db | Mar 12, 2007 7:38:12 PM

21. DB

Well, I do believe in condeming him andy everyone else in the world with a mythological view point.

Lets see....xtians in particular for 2,000 years massacered whole nations that would not convert, burned midwives and herbalists at the stake...oh and by the way tossed us gays tied up onto the wood piles to burn said 'witches" The conotation of faggo0t with us is that we were turned into "faggots" tied up bunc=dles of wood and used in the burning of "witches' = midwives, lesbians, and herbalists

F that crap. Get some pride. All religion is myth. This guy's religion in particular openly condones slavery which his ancestors were a victim of.

ALL homophobia no matter how nicely seeming (as compared to actual bashing) is our enemy and the enemy of rational though in the 21st century

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Mar 12, 2007 7:45:02 PM

22. goodness

sorry for the typos.

They are getting worse than normal. I must be getting worked up

:-)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Mar 12, 2007 7:46:25 PM

23. "So according to the bible this ignorant homophobic mofo's ancestors should never have been freed and he should be in chains somewhere because jesus never ever condemned slavery rather by his silence he condoned it"

I wonder what kind of example you'd use if he'd been white.

Posted by: Silas | Mar 12, 2007 7:50:34 PM

24. Jimmy,

Where did I say grovel? All I said is Howard is light years ahead of other folk. Jeesh man here is what he ends with: "We're all trying to make it but our hip-hop community are a bunch of hypocrites right now."

Does he have the HRC talking points down cold? No. But to be honest I wouldn't trust him if he did. He's an ally. Is he perfect? No, but I'll take an imperfect ally over an enemy every time.

As for the pride charge, that is so silly I'm not even going to respond.

Posted by: James | Mar 12, 2007 7:51:12 PM

25. Silas

My example could cover anyone wether white or black since Roman slaves had a large white european contigent. Take it as far back as you want.....every single one of our xtian enemies according to the bible would probably still be in chains as slaves if we actualy took every word and dot in that myth as real.

Tell me, are you trying to turn my comments around to a racist slant because you actualy believe the idiotic mythos in the bible and are offended at my trashing it? Are you a believer in the myth jesus that completely supported slavery if by no other reason as his silence= compliance

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Mar 12, 2007 8:01:20 PM