Elton John | Music | News | Religion | Trinidad and Tobago

Trinidad and Tobago Church Leaders Threatened by Elton John

EltonjohnReligious leaders in Trinidad and Tobago are reportedly trying to stop Elton John from entering their country for the Plymouth Jazz Festival next month because they are worried the singer might tempt locals to turn gay:

"Philip Isaac, Archdeacon of Trinidad and Tobago, said Elton's lifestyle failed to conform to Biblical teaching. He added: 'The artist is one of God's children and while his lifestyle is questionable he needs to be ministered unto. His visit to the island can open the country to be tempted towards pursuing his lifestyle.' Homosexuals can be barred from entering the country, but it is thought no-one has ever actually been turned away at immigration because of their sexuality."

Promoters say the show will go on: "Elton John is coming as what he is, one of the world greatest performers. He has performed in every country around the world. In Christian countries there has never been an objection. He is not coming here to preach about what lifestyle people should have. This country should be honoured to have Sir Elton John perform in Tobago."

You may have missed...
Gays in the Military: Elton John and David Furnish [tr]

Comments

1. Elton John turns people gay

Who knew

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Mar 16, 2007 11:36:58 AM

2. After seeing the pics of him in uniform this week, I want him banned from entering the US too!!

Posted by: Wayne | Mar 16, 2007 11:51:25 AM

3. I can't imagine anyone being turned gay by Elton John (of all people). Personally there is not thing I find attractive about him or his life. I'm not being shallow here - it's the amount of money he spends on flowers and clothes that I find disgusting.

Posted by: EireKev | Mar 16, 2007 12:12:06 PM

4. This is funny! I mean, for all the possible reasons to ban Elton, being a homo should be WAY down on the list. Don't get me wrong, Rocketman is still one of my favorite songs, but he left all that far behind when he decided that being a big fag was more important than making good music. Sorry Reg.

Posted by: JR | Mar 16, 2007 1:40:45 PM

5. perfect quote applies to most religious leaders...

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

Posted by: vince | Mar 16, 2007 1:46:47 PM

6. The icecaps can't melt fast enough to drown out these squalor-ridden, homo-hating caribbean islands.

Posted by: Bill | Mar 16, 2007 1:48:04 PM

7. I thought you meant the Church Leaders were threatened BY Elton John! (if you know what I mean)..That would make more sense.

Nobody can stop Elton..not even Madonna or some ruthless paparazzi in Taipei, let alone some church elders.

Posted by: Da | Mar 16, 2007 5:29:58 PM

8. Utterly ridiculous sentiment, but non unexpected. I've had friends who worked or grew up in T&T. It's a very homophobic environment. In addition, they obviously don't know anything about jazz. I doubt that Elton John would help draw a fan base for jazz---now Hasn't had a decent album in over 30 years and about as far from this genre as one can get.

Posted by: Rich | Mar 16, 2007 5:32:24 PM

9. its utterly embarrasing that i have to come from the country that is proving to the world how primitive we are willing to remain. how distasteful and narrow minded, gays were here before elton what the who they talking about

Posted by: kim | Mar 16, 2007 8:32:30 PM