Crime | Education | News | Virginia

Dozens Dead in Virginia Tech Massacre; Gunman Killed

A dorm and classroom were the target of a gunman who killed dozens and injured dozens more on the Virginia Tech campus today in the nation's deadliest campus shooting in history.

VtechABC is now reporting 29 confirmed dead...and the death toll may rise.

The Associate Press reports, "The university reported shootings at opposite sides of the 2,600-acre campus, beginning at about 7:15 a.m. at West Ambler Johnston, a co-ed residence hall that houses 895 people, and continuing about two hours later at Norris Hall, an engineering building. Some but not all the dead were students. One student was killed in a dorm and the others were killed in the classroom, Virginia Tech Police Chief W.R. Flinchum."

The gunman was reported killed but it was not clear if he had committed suicide or was shot by police.

Our thoughts go out to the friends and families of the victims of this senseless bloodbath.

Comments

1. This is completely surreal. I can't even imagine something like this happening when I was in school.

I am so sorry for those lost, and those that have had to go through this.

Posted by: duane | Apr 16, 2007 1:55:00 PM

2. As of a few minutes ago, 29 have been reported killed.

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 16, 2007 1:58:35 PM

3. I'm still in my office here working for the University, I can't bring myself to leave, but I'm so far from it all. It's utterly unreal and we've already heard that one of our classes was almost affected, the class baracaded the door. sick and surreal. I'll never understand why, ever.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 16, 2007 2:02:33 PM

4. For God's sake, when are they going to ban handguns/beef up gun control? There should be no way for *anyone* to have the means to kill 29 people.

Posted by: Charles | Apr 16, 2007 2:02:34 PM

5. How horrifying; I was immediately transported back to Kent State. Fucking guns. I cry for those lost.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 16, 2007 2:12:31 PM

6. I'm kinda lost for words, I live in Europe (Belgium) which is not even close to the States. Sad that this has to happen again, I know that there is not much we can do but my thoughts go out to those who are affected by this tragedy,RIP.

Posted by: Gerd | Apr 16, 2007 2:17:23 PM

7. I don't even know what to say. What can you say? This is so horrible, so senseless, so sad.

My heart goes out to everyone impacted by this. I second Charles's suggestions: no one should have the means to go on this kind of a rampage. People need to bring the gun-control debate back to the surface.

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 16, 2007 2:31:37 PM

8. Guns...

Posted by: Giovanni | Apr 16, 2007 2:38:51 PM

9. I agree about the guns, but does it seem that despite the fact that guns have been legal and easy to obtain for eons, we seem to be seeing lots more of these crazy school rampages in the last decade or so?

Have we become more violent as a society, or are we just hearing more about it than we used to because of the 24-hour media coverage?

Posted by: Brian | Apr 16, 2007 2:50:10 PM

10. 29 killed and dozens more in the hospital... how on earth is that even possible?

GUN CONTROL

Posted by: Chux | Apr 16, 2007 3:04:57 PM

11. Truly terrible...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Apr 16, 2007 3:11:34 PM

12. ...and the first words out of the Chimp-In-Chief were a reiteration of Americans' rights to bear arms. Some condolence call.

Posted by: hill_w | Apr 16, 2007 3:16:14 PM

13. What is wrong w/ people? This is just heart wrenching.

Posted by: Allen | Apr 16, 2007 3:20:01 PM

14. George Bush and his new spokes-thing needs to shut their stupid faces about guns. They sound more concerned about guns than dead students.

Posted by: homer | Apr 16, 2007 3:29:47 PM

15. I'm surprised Bush even spent the energy to acknowledge the dead and dying in this horrible tragedy considering what a gun whore he is? One wonders what it will take for our government officials to take the issue of schools being SAFE places to learn as a priority. I guess they're WAY to busy putting those BILLIONS into the "WAR"(and their pockets!) to supposedly secure "Democracy" in foreign lands to be concerned with pedestrian issues like ZERO VIOLENCE POLICIES in the U.S. Schools? Sad,Sad day in America. George please WAKE THE FUCK UP from your slumber!

Posted by: ShawnSF | Apr 16, 2007 3:47:48 PM

16. Up to 31 now per huffingtonpost.com

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | Apr 16, 2007 3:53:11 PM

17. I don't like George Bush as much as the next guy, but stop making this about him.

You’re diluting the tragedy.

My condolences to the victims and their friends and family.

Posted by: RP | Apr 16, 2007 3:54:36 PM

18. He isnt going to wake up from his slumber-we just have to hold on until Jan 2009 when he is out of office.

As for the gun control thing I brought up before-I would even be willing to compromise and I think it would work if there was a huge push-just ban all handguns/machine guns. This person in the VT shootings (I hesitate to call him a human being, may his soul burn in hell) apparently used handguns. No one outside of the police should have handguns. Period. The NRA always says "right to bear arms" and talks about hunting. Listen-I'm from Texas-I grew up around hunters; I have a shotgun in my family home. No one uses handguns to go hunting, they use them to shoot people. And no one uses machine guns to shoot quail or deer, they are used to kill a lot of people rapidly. So just ban them and let people have shotguns if they want them, you have to be screened and registered to get one, all currently owned handguns and machine guns will be confiscated and destroyed. That's it.

I am tired of walking home late at night in Harlem (which is a good neighborhood) and being worried about some young punk accosting me-if he had a knife I wouldnt be as worried. But if has a gun...no one should have to worry about that at all.

God, all those poor students, the more I hear about this, the more I am on the verge of crying.

Posted by: Charles | Apr 16, 2007 3:56:31 PM

19. brian the thing is that automatic weapons are arecent development.

This shooter as all mass shooters do utilized an automatic weapon. not a simple gun.

There is no justifiable or logical reason to allow automatic weapons to be owned by citizens. The Bill of rights says "for the maintanence of a militia" how many gun owners are part of a militia? That aside, a regular single shot gun is more than sufficient for hunting and or self defense. automatic = multiple rounds per second guns should not be allowed as evidenced by yet another mass killing made easy by such.

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | Apr 16, 2007 3:57:41 PM

20. Are you guys freaking kidding me about W and the gun statement? I can't seem to find it on line. Anyone have a link? Was his comment made in the context of this shooting?

What a fucking moron. How can anyone have supported him?

By the way, this week is the anniversary of the Wavo branch davidian fire, the OKC bombing, and the Columbine attack. The 3rd week of April is apparently a really good week to stay home and pull the covers up over your head.

I can't believe Bush said that.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 16, 2007 4:01:14 PM

21. Brian go to Huffingtonpost.com they have the quote from bush

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | Apr 16, 2007 4:06:16 PM

22. The quote on Huffington Post (from the AP) is from the White House deputy press secretary, not Bush.

Bush just addressed the nation live on TV. All he said basically was that it's a tragedy.

Posted by: RP | Apr 16, 2007 4:13:09 PM

23. RP, you're wrong. Bush brought this criticism upon himself by having the audacity to turn a condolence message into an NRA ad.

The man has NO shame!

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 16, 2007 4:14:44 PM

24. Bush's press secretary is the official spokesperson for Bush.

Posted by: Zeke | Apr 16, 2007 4:16:47 PM

25. It's still not a quote from Bush, Zeke. It's a quote from Perino.

"The president believes that there is a right for people to bear arms, but that all laws must be followed," Perino said, noting that Bush and Education Secretary Margaret Spellings held a conference on school gun violence last October. "Certainly, bringing a gun into a school dormitory and shooting ... is against the law and something someone should be held accountable for," Perino said.

Posted by: RP | Apr 16, 2007 4:19:27 PM