David Beckham | Football | Grooming | News | Rome | Sports | Tattoo

BigGayDeal.com

Beckham and Caligula: Let Them Hate, So Long as They Fear

Becks_tattoo

David Beckham sat out another Real Madrid game with an injured knee over the weekend, but it looks as if some other body parts have been getting attention. Beckham's tattoos are well-documented and, seated in the stands, the footballer revealed he's had some work done on his right forearm.

Tatt_3The tattoo (he has nine already) appears to be an extension of a scene with clouds and angels from his upper arm. Upon closer inspection and a bit of detective work (the words "let them" and "so long as" are visible) it looks like Becks has inscribed a quote attributed to the Roman emperor Caligula: "Let them hate, so long as they fear."

In other brand Beckham news, it appears that the BMW X5 that was stolen from him last year is now in service as a Spanish government limo. Considering he was handed a new car the next day it's doubtful he's worried about it.

One more shot of the pensive player, after the jump...

Becks_tattoo_2

Comments

1. I still don't understand the desire for tatoos. I realize there is a certain aura that has developed around males who have them, but most males who look good in tats, already look good without them. Women with tats look like pole dancers. At age 70, none of these tats will look so good.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 9, 2007 9:08:00 AM

2. Bill - tattoos or not, people don't look good at 70 period (except for a select few). Why not have some color - or at least something interesting to look at - as a diversion to the liver marks and saggy skin?

Posted by: ratatattoo | Apr 9, 2007 9:16:48 AM

3. Bill, I have to agree with you on all counts; the guys who look good with tattoo's already look good without them, and nothing screams "pole dance" like a woman with a tattoo above the crack of her ass. I just don't get it. At least with a piercing, you can remove it if you get bored.

What really gets me is that I see an incredible number of people who will go and spend a fortune to get elaborate tattoos, but spend nothing on dental work. Oh well.

As for Beckham... the more postings I see of him, the less I am inclined to be intrigued by him.

Posted by: Rad | Apr 9, 2007 9:17:23 AM

4. When I see someone has tattoos my first thought is either that they have self esteem issues or that they are trash. I don't think they are cool at all...

Posted by: Greg | Apr 9, 2007 9:29:28 AM

5. It is not the Spanish but the Macedonian government, as the article says.

Max

Posted by: Max | Apr 9, 2007 9:46:25 AM

6. tatts and piercings lost their edge 15 years ago when George Michael released the Killer video... these days a tatt is about as edgy as a goatee.
    all the tribal doodle tatts and asian kanji seen littering everyone's skin look as vacuous as clip-art, kinda like getting tattoo'd at Kinko's.
    as tired as most tattoos already are, rather quickly they'll age and degenerate... fading into soft, purple, and misshaped blotches... very hot indeed.
    i still appreciate spotting a damn good quality tattoo on a genuine hunka guy, but that occurance is about one in a million.

Posted by: A.J. | Apr 9, 2007 9:54:14 AM

7. Anyone else disturbed that he has a quote from Caligula on his arm? The guy was completely insane, had sex with all of his sisters, had a flock of pre-adolescent boys at his call, and was assassinated by his own guards. The Sadaam Hussein of his time, but crazy and a total pedophile. You'd think a tatoo could be in better taste?

Posted by: scientitian | Apr 9, 2007 10:10:41 AM

8. 4 years ago I got my first and last tattoo on my right hipbone...best thing I did to jumpstart my ummm social life.

Whatever floats your boat honeys.

Posted by: gabe | Apr 9, 2007 10:36:27 AM

9. What kind of snotty fags post these comments and reads this website? We scream and yell for equality, but seem to be the first to diss anyone showing any Originality. Get over yourselves.

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 9, 2007 10:42:17 AM

10. Seriously. It makes me want to get more tattoos to ensure I don't have people with such ugly personalities gawking at me.

I don't care if people think my tattoos or I are "cool". I do care about what sort of self-esteem issues people have where they need to jump to incorrect conclusions just by looking at somebody. When I see a guy with a highly-developed body, with bad hairplugs, or an unfortunate facial peel, I appreciate what I can aesthetically. I don't cringe at what others do to their body - sometimes it's intriguing and sometimes not, but either way I respect that person's right to do what they will.

Although the people who have botched or at minimum unrealistic plastic surgery in an attempt to make themselves look more "normal" or desirable might get one raised eyebrow from me.

Posted by: Rey | Apr 9, 2007 11:00:55 AM

11. Ratt

Way to go, dropping a patently offensive ageist comment!
    "tattoos or not, people don't look good at 70 period (except for a select few)"

That's one of the stupidest things I've read here. What does that even mean?

And pray that if you are fortunate enough to even see the age of 70 that you aren't surrounded by shallow twats like you who can't see beauty in various forms.

Posted by: CF | Apr 9, 2007 11:09:11 AM

12. I agree that people should be allowed to adorn their bodies with tattoos if they chose, but it does occur to me that they will eventually become dated. People who had long sideburns or wore bell bottoms in the 70s were able to change with the times. Tats are more permanent. I, for one, am glad that my fashion faux pas of yesterday, which were tres currant at the time, were allowed to die a natural death at Goodwill.

Posted by: Voet | Apr 9, 2007 11:24:50 AM

13. God, I think he's so dreamy...

I guess Posh and he have finally thrown over any hint they are to be involved in that quack "religion" since some dope named "Scientitian" is going all sour grapes on his ass in a post above LOL Whatever, UFO worshipper...

VIVA EL BECKS!!!

Posted by: Becks07 | Apr 9, 2007 11:25:42 AM

14. It takes an average of six comments on Towleroad before things turn ugly, critical and battle prone. Instead of the possibilities of insight, laughs and genuine conversation.

Hmmm.

Posted by: Br!on | Apr 9, 2007 12:25:40 PM

15. What the world needs are tattoos that only last a month.

Posted by: anon | Apr 9, 2007 12:33:33 PM

16. When I see someone has tattoos my first thought is either that they have self esteem issues or that they are trash. I don't think they are cool at all...

Posted by: Greg | Apr 9, 2007 9:29:28 AM

An interesting opinion. I have just one tattoo and I am very glad that I got it. Now I'm not going to speak for anyone else here but I am glad that I got my tattoo. It means something to me and I am reminded of that meaning everytime that I see it.

I feel that it is a little small minded to say that people with tattoos have self esteem problems.

Posted by: Nick | Apr 9, 2007 12:47:39 PM

17. Furthermore,

Ratt

Way to go, dropping a patently offensive ageist comment!
    "tattoos or not, people don't look good at 70 period (except for a select few)"

That's one of the stupidest things I've read here. What does that even mean?

Posted by: CF | Apr 9, 2007 11:09:11 AM

I'm pretty sure that Ratt was talking about sexual appeal in this on. He wasn't saying that old people are ugly he was saying that he wouldn't want to bone one. Now I know that older people can be beautiful in many different ways but you will be very hard pressed to find an old person who still has their sex appeal going (old lady fetishes aside). It might be better if you were to read the message and understand it before you start freaking out in your response.

Just a thought...

Posted by: Nick | Apr 9, 2007 12:53:25 PM

18. Hey, Ryan and Rey, just because I don't understand tats, doesn't mean I am against them. They're just not for me. I have seen some utterly beautiful tattoo work. I love watching Miami Ink, too! It's just not for me.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 9, 2007 1:00:51 PM

19. Well he has to keep himself busy since all he plays now is crap football.

Posted by: Gary | Apr 9, 2007 1:16:52 PM

20. Nick,

I appreciate your attempt to illuminate Ratt's comment but I stand by my original sentiment.

Why would anyone care that Ratt (or you or anyone) wouldn't want to "bone" someone who is 70? Why would anyone bother to express a sentiment like that? Why not list all the types of people you don't want to bone?

As I wrote to Ratt -- if you are lucky enough to make it to 70, I hope your genitals are lost under a mound of dust and rust. *I* fully hope (and expect) to still be gettin some.

But I do appreciate your post. Clarification is always appreciated. Peace.

Posted by: CF | Apr 9, 2007 1:28:18 PM

21. On closer examination of David Beckham's arm... it almost looks like one of those "tattoo shirt sleeves". A nylon tee shirt printed with a tattoo. Just too much crisp detail to suddenly appear. You would there would have been several "work in progress" photos over the past month or so?

Posted by: Rad | Apr 9, 2007 1:49:09 PM

22. Mr. Becks07,
    First, I wish to inform you that "scientitian" is a reference in jest to the term "scientist," not "scientologist." I have been using it since before the days of Tom Cruise's free-style couch jumping shenanigans.
    Secondly, I am not saying that I dislike tattoos - in fact, I rather appreciate tasteful tattoos and may be getting one myself very soon. I was simply stating that I (justifiably) found it absurd that David Beckham has a tattoo quoting history's most famous pedophilic despot.
    Perhaps you should read more carefully in the future, as I reckon your Beckthusiasm is clouding your interpretive skills.

Sincerely,
    Scientitian, the Scientist

Posted by: Scientitian | Apr 9, 2007 5:04:25 PM

23. I just want to thank many of you for helping to maintain the snippy shallow narrow minded judgemental queen image that many people have of our community. I also am glad to say that there is no need to try to sway the opinions of those we don't respect, although sometimes it is nice to let off a little steam by belittling ohters in a forum where we don't actually have to look into the eyes of our opponent. I think many would find this somewhat difficult.

Posted by: wazzupper | Apr 15, 2007 11:37:18 AM

24. What a bunch of bitchy, judgeMENTAL queens.
    No wonder in 2007 there is still so much seperation in our own community. Too much hate and judgement. I hope and wish more could evolve and grow. May the long time sun shine upon you!

Posted by: Gurudeep | Apr 19, 2007 11:11:15 AM

25. Anyone who doesn't understand why people get tattoos should read Moby Dick, for starters, then maybe some recent social history such as Bad Boys and Tough Tattoos. Won't explain every person who gets inked -- some people are just idiots. Neither will it convince you to get your own tattoo, but at least then you could present a more informed argument instead of your personal prejudice.

And shame on you defenders of tattoos, too. I can't believe it took so long for someone to say they have a tattoo that *means something*. It's not all about aesthetics, my fellow gays.

De gustibus non est disputandum, y'all!

Posted by: Christopher | Apr 27, 2007 12:50:10 PM