Lance Bass | News | Nightlife | Palm Springs

Lance Bass Hits Palm Springs for the White Party

Lb1_2 Lb2_2

A tipster sent us a few photos from the 18th White Party in Palm Springs over the weekend, where, free from the glass closet, Lance Bass reveled alongside 30,000 others.

Others, however, chose to keep their identities a well-guarded secret.

Comments

1. Wow good for Lance

I'm sure stupid GLAAD will think up some new award for him to recieve for attending this party

Posted by: stephen | Apr 9, 2007 11:29:28 AM

2. Jesus, with all the nasty comments on here, no surprise why some people are reluctant to come out. Other gay men dont exactly make it seem worthwhile.

Posted by: Charles | Apr 9, 2007 11:44:01 AM

3. As far as I know, he did not go to the Black Party last month though.

Posted by: anon | Apr 9, 2007 12:20:41 PM

4. Hey, did my post get deleted?

Anyway; dark hair with bleach blond tips= retarded. Bleach blond hair while still having dark as night eyebrows= retarded. Guys with dark hair need to stop with the bleaching, it is retarded.

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | Apr 9, 2007 12:30:49 PM

5. If his only media value lies in what parties he attends, I wish he didn't come out either.

Posted by: 000000 | Apr 9, 2007 12:32:39 PM

6. Lance doesn't want to speak out about gay issues yet will go to every gay party and club there is. He's something isn't he?

Posted by: Jack! | Apr 9, 2007 12:33:05 PM

7. "Lance doesn't want to speak out about gay issues yet will go to every gay party and club there is. He's something isn't he?"

And that makes him different from nearly every other gay man in what way exactly?

Posted by: Charles | Apr 9, 2007 12:47:30 PM

8. Well, Charles, for starters... every other gay man hasn't shilled himself on the cover of People magazine.

Posted by: chrisb | Apr 9, 2007 12:53:03 PM

9. Charles I didn't see any nasty comments.

And haters on the internet isn't anything that will ever make gay men from coming out, partying and having a great time :)

Posted by: Lani | Apr 9, 2007 1:02:59 PM

10. They disappeared for some reason.

Posted by: Charles | Apr 9, 2007 1:25:05 PM

11. I see. But don't worry for gay men either way, we'll always be OUT and about.

Posted by: Lani | Apr 9, 2007 1:37:22 PM

12. How did Lance "shill himself" on the cover of People? They approached HIM. It's not his fault that half of the America's teenage population grew up with him on their television.

Anyway, I've been to parties with Lance and he is CRAZY. Boy really knows how to party, now he doesn't have to wear sunglasses and a hat when it's a gay party he's at.

Posted by: JAMES | Apr 9, 2007 2:21:45 PM

13. Lance looks so straight! If I didn't know any better I would swear he was Chuck Norris!

Posted by: Boobs | Apr 9, 2007 2:49:57 PM

14. GADDAMN!!!!!! Lance Bass is so seriously fug. Are guys so desperate to sleep with someone who ten years ago was sort of semi-famous that they'll stoop to having sex with Lance Bass??!! Hell, when I was six years old I stood on my head for the local ABC affiliate's chidren's cartoon hour (don't ask). And I'm better looking than Lance Bass to boot! Where are the men who should be waiting at my doorstep?

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 9, 2007 3:15:54 PM

15. peterparker LOL

Posted by: pacificoceanboy | Apr 9, 2007 3:41:39 PM

16. he looks like a Spelling... only more fake.

Posted by: A.J. | Apr 9, 2007 4:38:12 PM

17. He has done something to his face and I don't think it was intentional.

Posted by: Jason | Apr 9, 2007 4:47:50 PM

18. He's plucked his eyebrows because he's a straight acting gay and that's what straight men do.

Posted by: Boobs | Apr 9, 2007 7:58:53 PM

19. Forget Lance Bass! You know who I'd like to here from more often? Kele Orkere. I see he and Bloc Party EVERYWHERE. Except here.

Posted by: fangirlhater | Apr 9, 2007 8:42:39 PM

20. It never ceases to amaze me how vicious and bitter people can be about the choices famous gay people make in a free society, especially since the entire gay rights movement has been about the freedom to make choices many people think are gross and disgusting.

Seriously, what to make of someone who claims that bleached blond hair with dark roots and eyebrows is "retarded?" Or that Lance Bass was semi-famous a decade ago and deserves only boyfriends who are desperate for some brush with faded fame?

It wasn't so long ago when gay people who were out were grateful and generous to one another.

Lance Bass used to be crticized for being closeted, now he's criticized for going to parties and not being enough of an activist. I suspect there's nothing he can do to appease a small cadre of bitter people who have nothing better to do than criticize Lance Bass.

Where is the love, people? How do we get other glass-closeted celebrities to treat their sexual orientation as a normal part of their lives when they'll be so meanly attacked by our own people?

Posted by: alan | Apr 10, 2007 2:08:10 AM

21. Alan,

Let's look at the facts here.

One of the first things Lance Bass said (in his coming out interview with People magazine) was "I think the gay community is going to hop on my back because I'm not going to lead the parades and be this crazy activist."

With that one sentence, Bass insulted thousands of 'crazy activists' who literally risked life and limb and bravely paved the way so that Bass could enjoy the luxury of coming out of the closet without being vilified for being a gay man.

Bass then accepted a 'visibility award' from GLAAD and, in his acceptance speech, acknowleged his earlier insult to the activists by discussing his desire to commit his life to working for equality for the GLBT community...a goal he seems to think is best accomplished by barhopping and attending soirees with men who are curiously attractive given Lance's, um, 'unconventional looks'.

With his every comment to the media and with each appearance at some A-list soiree, Lance Bass seems more and more vacuous, superficial and entitled. Is it any wonder the gay community has quickly grown tired of Bass? Is it any wonder we are less than kind to this person who seems less interested in using his visibility to improve the situation for the GLBT community and more interested in upping his own social status and jumpstarting his career as a cheesy boy-bander?

In stark contrast is the community's reaction to another semi-famous man who recently came out of the closet: John Amaechi. At every turn Amaechi has proven himself to be magnanimous, articulate and humble. There have been no pics of Amaechi boozing the night away with some piece of brainless arm candy. Nor has Amaechi disparaged the GLBT leaders who came before him. Instead, Amaechi has used his visibility to enlighten others about the GLBT community and the struggles and discrimination we still endure. And the community has embraced Amaechi.

In my opinion, Bass brought the hate on himself not by being an out gay man...but by being a self-centered gay man.

xo,
    peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 10, 2007 5:27:37 AM

22. peterparker: Is it any wonder the gay community has quickly grown tired of Bass?

speak for yourself peter.

i don't have paragraphs of reproaches to make to lance. he's living his life and it's fine by me.

Posted by: tinsel | Apr 10, 2007 8:04:51 AM

23. peterparker,

you would make some sense if most of what you said was true. it's not. and you don't speak for the entire gay community. get over yourself.

i have seen several lgbt and activist things that lance has done, and i don't really pay all that much attention to him. he said some totally annoying things when he first came out about being an activist, but that was obviously just ignorance, and being a newly out person who obviously spent a significant amount of time talking himself into being closeted. but he's said since that he was wrong. and i think he's done several things to prove that. who the fuck cares if he also goes to bars?

Posted by: johnpaul | Apr 10, 2007 10:03:17 AM

24. JohnPaul,

You claim to have "...seen several lgbt and activist things that lance (SIC) has done...". Rather than making vague references to Lance's 'activist things' why not tell us explicitly what Lance has done to help the community? I'd really like to know about Lance's 'activist things' because I'm wholly unaware of them. I've never seen a single item in the press about Lance Bass doing anything to further the causes of the GLBT community or to create more understanding about our community.

Instead, I see photos of Lance drunk in the Hamptons, Lance at the White Party (a drug fueled mess if ever there was one), Lance at Reichen's book signing, Lance at the Toronto Film Festival. But I haven't seen Lance Bass do *anything* to use his semi-celebrity to further the many causes of the GLBT community, as he promised to do in that acceptance speech for that stupid 'visibility award' given to him by the sycophants at GLAAD.

And for the record, I don't care if anyone, including Lance Bass, frequents parties or bars. I just find him wholly uninteresting and certainly not worth the space allotted to him by the various media. Lance Bass is fast becoming the Paris Hilton or the Britney Spears of the gay community. In fact, I admit I'm eagerly awaiting the moment when Lance goes bonkers and shaves his frosted locks or when he drunkenly exits a car pantyless and 'accidentally' shows the world his shaved mangina. Now THAT shit is going to be funny!

(And by the way, JohnPaul, I'm still waiting for you to provide some evidence of Lance's 'activist things'.)

xo,
    peterparker

Posted by: peterparker | Apr 10, 2007 4:25:33 PM

25. I saw him a couple of times in the elevator. The guys just would not leave him alone. A friend of mine accosted him at the pool. He did seem to be enjoying himself. For some reason I've imagined he's wanted to go for a long time and this was kind of a liberating experience.

BTW...he looks much better in person than he photographs.

Posted by: Mitch | Apr 10, 2007 7:48:27 PM